Virginia Tech: ACC is where we want to be... | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Tech: ACC is where we want to be...

arbitragegls

All Conference
Sometimes wonder when there is so much being positively said if that means the opposite...well, the ACC universities are certainly supporting the confernce. Here is another message from the AD at VT:

Will the Virginia Tech Hokies follow the Maryland Terrapins from the ACC to the Big Ten? Athletic director Jim Weaver insists that won't happen.
"We are more concerned of being in a home where we believe it's the right match for our academic institution as well as the athletic aspect of our institution and where it makes sense for us to be," Weaver tells Mark Berman of The Roanoke Times. "When you analyze some of the moves that have been made, some people have a lot of travel to do.
"I don't think you make the decision based on money alone. I think you've got to ascertain, 'Do you have enough funding? Are you able to continue as you are without falling backwards?' I think it's those type of approaches that have to be reviewed, as opposed to saying, 'Oh, they're getting $6 million more a year than we are, we need to go there.' Because team travel can eat up some of that money really quickly."
Weaver is also skeptical that there will be significant conference expansion in the future. "I don't think anybody really knows," Weaver said. "I feel like we are comfortable in 14 plus Notre Dame [which will not be a full-time football member] in our league. I've been told that the SEC is comfortable with their 14. I've been told that the Big Ten is comfortable with their 14, but I don't know that for a fact."

arb, any idea if the espn's new tv deal being announced soon? (assuming its a reality)

Very logical assessment by the VT AD.

I remain very positive about the ACC.

I am sure Weaver really believed those words the moment he said them. I am sure if offered something by the SEC he would backtrack on them in a heart-beat.

I am sure Weaver really believed those words the moment he said them. I am sure if offered something by the SEC he would backtrack on them in a heart-beat.
Exactly. "We're fine right where we are. Unless something better comes along."

Rumor is they had the chance to jump to the SEC and declined. Sometimes it is better to be a big fish in a small pond.

Sometimes wonder when there is so much being positively said if that means the opposite...well, the ACC universities are certainly supporting the confernce. Here is another message from the AD at VT:

Will the Virginia Tech Hokies follow the Maryland Terrapins from the ACC to the Big Ten? Athletic director Jim Weaver insists that won't happen.
"We are more concerned of being in a home where we believe it's the right match for our academic institution as well as the athletic aspect of our institution and where it makes sense for us to be," Weaver tells Mark Berman of The Roanoke Times. "When you analyze some of the moves that have been made, some people have a lot of travel to do.
"I don't think you make the decision based on money alone. I think you've got to ascertain, 'Do you have enough funding? Are you able to continue as you are without falling backwards?' I think it's those type of approaches that have to be reviewed, as opposed to saying, 'Oh, they're getting $6 million more a year than we are, we need to go there.' Because team travel can eat up some of that money really quickly."
Weaver is also skeptical that there will be significant conference expansion in the future. "I don't think anybody really knows," Weaver said. "I feel like we are comfortable in 14 plus Notre Dame [which will not be a full-time football member] in our league. I've been told that the SEC is comfortable with their 14. I've been told that the Big Ten is comfortable with their 14, but I don't know that for a fact."
I like what I read here, but the B1G wouldn't want VPI and the B1G is the conference that will strike at the ACC if it can. The SEC will let the B1G make the first move then will scoop whatever they want and close it out at 16.
The ACC needs Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Boston College to say no to the Big Ten Conference then the conference will fine. Those are the schools the B1G will target and if they rebuff the B1G the ACC is fine as FSU won't go the Big XII no matter how much WVU fans want them too.

The SEC looked into VaTech, among other ACC schools, but settled for Missouri. If Virginia Tech wants to be in the SEC they only have to pick up the phone. Same with UVA, UNC, and Duke.

The SEC looked into VaTech, among other ACC schools, but settled for Missouri. If Virginia Tech wants to be in the SEC they only have to pick up the phone. Same with UVA, UNC, and Duke.
Duke in the SEC?????

Duke in the SEC?????
Duke would bring a bunch of $$$ to the SEC.

I'm not saying that any ACC team is leaving, I'm only saying if some wanted to leave, they'd be accepted instantly. It's like that for many schools among the ACC, B1G, XII, PAC, and SEC. My previous comment was only to show that schools with options appear committed to the ACC.

Orangecrush is right if UNC would commit to the SEC and their condition was Duke the SEC would take them. It would give the SEC schools an easy tomato can and the brand of Duke basketball would give Kentucky a hated rival.

Screw VT, don't care what they say, will never trust them.
Hmm, perhaps I am too bitter.

Duke would bring a bunch of $$$ to the SEC.

I'm not saying that any ACC team is leaving, I'm only saying if some wanted to leave, they'd be accepted instantly. It's like that for many schools among the ACC, B1G, XII, PAC, and SEC. My previous comment was only to show that schools with options appear committed to the ACC.
No way a great academic institution like Duke, or UNC for that matter, leaves the ACC to join forces with the convicts of the SEC.

No way a great academic institution like Duke, or UNC for that matter, leaves the ACC to join forces with the convicts of the SEC.

Well Vandy's already there...

Arb: OT, but is there any news on the BET at MSG? Would the 4-4-4 ACC people even want it there, if it were available? I think the ACC really needs to get the tourney there to throw a wrench in the RU/B10 NYC strategy.

The SEC is in an interesting situation. If they expand to 16 it would hurt their rivalries even more than the move to 14 but it could get them back to their roots if they added VT and NCS if they would man up and have the original SEC stay in one division and the newbies (other than the Mississippi's) in another.
Bama, Auburn, LSU, Vandy, Tenn, Florida, Georgia and Kentucky. They could go back to playing each other every year and SC, Ark, A&M, Missouri, NCS, VT and Miss and Miss St. New markets and go old school but I don't think Bama would really want to play a real SEC schedule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom