Walking out of MSG vs. walking out of Greensboro Coliseum | Syracusefan.com

Walking out of MSG vs. walking out of Greensboro Coliseum

Eric15

Living Legend
Obviously moving to the ACC was 100% necessary, but the ACC Tourney in Greensboro just sucks. I'm glad its returning to DC and Brooklyn the next couple years.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Obviously moving to the ACC was 100% necessary, but the ACC Tourney in Greensboro just sucks. I'm glad its returning to DC and Brooklyn the next couple years.

View attachment 176902
View attachment 176903
It is an ugly city but I think the smell of honeysuckle and the feeling of rich dirt between your toes more than makes up for it.

The downtown itself is a quaint few blocks and there are some nice areas. The arena though isn't near any of that.

Unfortunately, we're never going to stop going to Greensboro because the ACC HQ is there. I've never seen anyone on our board post that they like having the Tournament there because they love being in the middle of nowhere. If it were downtown like every other arena that's staged the ACC Tournament, it would be a different story.

Reactions: cto
I am going and staying with a friend who lives 3 miles from the coliseum. I think there is much more ease going in and out, parking, etc. but then nowhere to go before or after. I am sure in comparison to Charlotte and NYC it will suck.

Greensboro in April is absolutely beautiful with its flowering trees and bushes. Neighborhoods are fantastic. I’ve never been downtown and there may be a reason for that. I don’t know what Greensboro in March might look like. I understand spring is coming early to the southeast.

Unfortunately, we're never going to stop going to Greensboro because the ACC HQ is there. I've never seen anyone on our board post that they like having the Tournament there because they love being in the middle of nowhere. If it were downtown like every other arena that's staged the ACC Tournament, it would be a different story.

Once upon a time, the Big East HQ was in Providence. Things change. They should change now that 11 of the 15 are not NC schools. The center of gravity of the conference should be elsewhere.

Once upon a time, the Big East HQ was in Providence. Things change. They should change now that 11 of the 15 are not NC schools. The center of gravity of the conference should be elsewhere.
I agree. I'd like to see them establish a rotation of 4 other cities (just to pick a number) and Greensboro only gets it once every 13 years (Greensboro, A, B, C, D, A, B, C, D, A, B, C, D, Greensboro, A, B, C, D)

I agree. I'd like to see them establish a rotation of 4 other cities (just to pick a number) and Greensboro only gets it once every 13 years (Greensboro, A, B, C, D, A, B, C, D, A, B, C, D, Greensboro, A, B, C, D)

Agreed 110%.
"There's no value to Greensboro"
-James Arthur Boeheim

Those cities could be something like:
NYC
DC/Baltimore (I guess Richmond or other VA city could work here too)
Atlanta
?? - Charlotte/Raleigh? Miami? Other?

NYC- msg needs to get in the rotation (pipe dream I know)
DC- obvious geographic reasons
Atlanta- appease the south
Charlotte- if you need to have one in the state of NC.

Honestly having it in NYC every year should be the answer, but Swofford will never go for it.

And the Big East Tournament was played a total of ONE time in Providence. Because the Big East commish had enough foresight to realize that putting this basketball showcase in one of the best arenas in the world in one of the best basketball cities in the world was a win-win for everyone involved. And he was right. The ACC and honestly most of the fans I have talked with since living down here would rather the tourney be in Greensboro because it's "tradition" and because it's easier to get to. Many down here are also majorly averse to going toa big city. They don't like the cost or the hassle.

I would rather have it in NYC or DC. But I grew up with the Big East and know how awesome it can be. We ARE the outsiders in this league and always will be. It's their world and we're just living in it. It will always stay in Greensboro and thinking differently is to not understand the culture of ACC basketball that has grown up in the South for decades. It sucks, but there's not much we can do about it.

If MSG is unavailable, I think it should be in DC every year. Every single ACC school has an alumni base in the area. Three major airports and rail access. Limitless bar/restaurant/entertainment options in-between games without needing to drive anywhere. Limitless hotel space.

Im afraid to find out what pizza is like there

It's flat out disrespekful. (at least when I lived there) Early 2000s was this place called "chanellos" ...I think I spelled that right. Pizza was soggy and they over sauced the wings. It was great to eat while drunk if memory serves me well enough.

I like Brooklyn but hey, that's just me. You can keep all those other places. Specifically Greensboro. I'm not saying that to shat on the people there either. I'm sure they are nice and are great basketball fans. I just need more variety of culture and atmosphere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom