Wally Pipp = Girard | Syracusefan.com

Wally Pipp = Girard

It’s entirely within Joes control. He will still start and if he’s hot, JB won’t take him out.

Really wish JB would switch it up but it won’t happen
Well, it is and isn't "entirely" in JG's control. I think he has done a remarkable job "playing" PG given the transition he made from being a HIGH volume shooter and scorer throughout his entire HS career (at a class B school no less). The issue is that he struggles (being kind, didn't want to use "unable') to score in the paint or at the rim (even on semi breakaways with a trailer). This limits his effectiveness as a PG and is in stark contrast to Kadary.

JG's skill set has always played up off the ball.

I feel bad for Girard, but it’s overdue.

the energy and level of play is so much better with Richmond.
Im in the same boat with the rest of the people on here that think that he needs to be more consistent, get rid of the chub and put on muscle. But this take is really getting tired lol. Girard has had good games and bad games-- same goes with Boeheim and Richmond. JAB is going to go with whoever is riding hot that game, but he isn't going anywhere from that starting lineup. So you can just get that out of your head right now or continue stressing yourself out about something you cant control.

I feel bad for Girard, but it’s overdue.

the energy and level of play is so much better with Richmond.

The ceiling of the team is raised with Kadary. And we need him in the game at tip to get us off on the right foot.

It makes Buddy's life easier and it helps keep AG on the track because he's in his own world sometimes.

Kadary needs to work on his finishing moves in the lane, but you can see the talent there.

I keep harping on this, just put him in a room with tape of Kawhi (assuming we can't afford Chip Engelland).

JB has all the air coverage in the world to start him next game with that comeback.

Well, it is and isn't "entirely" in JG's control. I think he has done a remarkable job "playing" PG given the transition he made from being a HIGH volume shooter and scorer throughout his entire HS career (at a class B school no less). The issue is that he struggles (being kind, didn't want to use "unable') to score in the paint or at the rim (even on semi breakaways with a trailer). This limits his effectiveness as a PG and is in stark contrast to Kadary.

JG's skill set has always played up off the ball.

That's a good point about his breakaways. He seems to get caught on those fairly often, at least often enough to the point that it's in my mind when I see him get a breakaway. It's a bit frustrating because those should be pretty easy points.

If Joe wants to be the man than be the man! If Kadary is better than he should be the man! Participation trophy time is over. Now the strong survive.

Joe is better suited to coming off the bench and should play if the other shooters are cold.

Starting him over Kadary is ridiculous. Boeheim's coaching has been terrible this season I think we have a pretty good squad TBH. Apart from UVA the rest of the games could have been won by starting/playing our best players.

That's a good point about his breakaways. He seems to get caught on those fairly often, at least often enough to the point that it's in my mind when I see him get a breakaway. It's a bit frustrating because those should be pretty easy points.
Yeah, that's true about being caught, but I think that's more by design. He's learned that the trailer is likely to block his shot from behind even when there is some separation. IMO, he slows down on purpose to try to create contact to disrupt the timing of the defender and/or to try to create a foul.

Joe is better suited to coming off the bench and should play if the other shooters are cold.

Starting him over Kadary is ridiculous. Boeheim's coaching has been terrible this season I think we have a pretty good squad TBH. Apart from UVA the rest of the games could have been won by starting/playing our best players.
This post is kind of ironic given that JB's bench use last night was "masterful" - 7 players played 16 or more minutes.

Hopefully, the results on the floor last night give JB the confidence to continue that trend.

Yeah, that's true about being caught, but I think that's more by design. He's learned that the trailer is likely to block his shot from behind even when there is some separation. IMO, he slows down on purpose to try to create contact to disrupt the timing of the defender and/or to try to create a foul.

I think your assessment is correct. Wish he could at least draw the foul more on those.

Reactions: 007
Im in the same boat with the rest of the people on here that think that he needs to be more consistent, get rid of the chub and put on muscle. But this take is really getting tired lol. Girard has had good games and bad games-- same goes with Boeheim and Richmond. JAB is going to go with whoever is riding hot that game, but he isn't going anywhere from that starting lineup. So you can just get that out of your head right now or continue stressing yourself out about something you cant control.
This^^^
It’s not about who starts, it’s about who’s most effective in the role they’re asked to play, and how they are being used.
JG3 is not our best PG obviously, but when he’s on he can carry the team. Having him locked into just that one position and not running set plays for him, especially when KR is in the game, is a waste, IMO.
Instead, how about having him go the old GMac, Devo, Andy Rautins role of running thru multiple picks for good looks? They’ve done it in a few games, but not nearly enough. And it also brings flexibility to Buddy’s role as well since he can shift to the 3 if he’s on like yesterday, and you keep the two main shooters in the game. Or if he’s not hitting you can, wait for it...sit him for a few and try another option.
We have so much flexibility in this lineup, & I’d love to see more variety. But that’s on the HC, not the players.

I think your assessment is correct. Wish he could at least draw the foul more on those.
Whether due to Covid or other factors there seems to have been a loss of explosion when compared to last year. This showing up all kinds of ways on offense and defense. Maybe JB is hoping Joe will continue to play himself back into shape? An interesting debate is who would be more effective... freshman year Joe or freshman year Kadary?

This isn’t true but I am not going to rehash the games where certain players have struggled and played a lot.

Yesterday JB didn’t sub the final 13.5 minutes but he to his correct made the changes that he did to spark the comeback.

Whether due to Covid or other factors there seems to have been a loss of explosion when compared to last year. This showing up all kinds of ways on offense and defense. Maybe JB is hoping Joe will continue to play himself back into shape? An interesting debate is who would be more effective... freshman year Joe or freshman year Kadary?
Nobody expected Joe Girard to be a 4 year starter.
He was expected to be a 4 year player who grew his role each season.

The problem was we went 18-14 last year and for that reason we are making that out to be like Joe had to be a 4 year starter when the guys he all beat out weren’t as good and all left.
This year we have a better guard and want that guard starting because he is better at being a PG.
Our HC seems like he is okay telling fans who want KR no and guess we are continually getting off to slow starts as a team.

If he wanted to start JG but put KR in quicker that would be fine.
However nope this starting lineup plays the first 8 minutes every game.

This isn’t true but I am not going to rehash the games where certain players have struggled and played a lot.

Yesterday JB didn’t sub the final 13.5 minutes but he to his correct made the changes that he did to spark the comeback.
This is probably a controversial take... but are the positive effects of JBs changes accidental or strategy? I feel like there is a throw stuff against the wall mentality vs any sort of game strategy. if it was strategy, it wouldn’t take until we were down big to deploy.

Nobody expected Joe Girard to be a 4 year starter.
He was expected to be a 4 year player who grew his role each season.

The problem was we went 18-14 last year and for that reason we are making that out to be like Joe had to be a 4 year starter when the guys he all beat out weren’t as good and all left.
This year we have a better guard and want that guard starting because he is better at being a PG.
Our HC seems like he is okay telling fans who want KR no and guess we are continually getting off to slow starts as a team.

If he wanted to start JG but put KR in quicker that would be fine.
However nope this starting lineup plays the first 8 minutes every game.
I’m not convinced Kadary should be the starter over good JG3 or last year’s jg3. Our opponents know he won’t shoot from the perimeter and are now playing him for the drive and are taking it away. It definitely is clogging up the offense a bit. This would not happen with jg3 hitting shots. JG has a higher ceiling this year than Kadary because of his shooting but also a lower floor. JB is betting on the upside of JG3.

If Kadary gets a consistent jumper... the sky is the limit. In a lot of ways, Kadary reminds me of a freshman year Frank Howard... Kadary has better vision and a better handle, Frank was the better athlete. let’s hope Kadary stays injury free and has a better attitude than Frank.

I’m not convinced Kadary should be the starter over good JG3 or last year’s jg3. Our opponents know he won’t shoot from the perimeter and are now playing him for the drive and are taking it away. It definitely is clogging up the offense a bit.
the numbers simply say otherwise, no matter how many times it’s said

I’m not convinced Kadary should be the starter over good JG3 or last year’s jg3. Our opponents know he won’t shoot from the perimeter and are now playing him for the drive and are taking it away. It definitely is clogging up the offense a bit. This would not happen with jg3 hitting shots. JG has a higher ceiling this year than Kadary because of his shooting but also a lower floor. JB is betting on the upside of JG3.

If Kadary gets a consistent jumper... the sky is the limit. In a lot of ways, Kadary reminds me of a freshman year Frank Howard... Kadary has better vision and a better handle, Frank was the better athlete. let’s hope Kadary stays injury free and has a better attitude than Frank.
How does any team play if both of their guards can’t shoot?

Also Kadary is BY FAR the best defensive guard we have and up till spacing defense mattered more.

Joe can make shots. He doesn’t always make them. Again him coming off the bench as a microwave guy makes sense.

I don’t get why Kadary can’t shoot well matters. MCW didn’t shoot well nobody cared.

The logic used here is basically if Jim Boeheim started Trevor Cooney in 2013 over MCW and split their minutes and gradually he gave more to MCW but still started Cooney.
Because Cooney can shoot better and he could space the floor for Triche, Southerland, Grant, Fair.

Nope MCW played all the minutes because he was the better PG.

The logic used here is basically if Jim Boeheim started Trevor Cooney in 2013 over MCW and split their minutes and gradually he gave more to MCW but still started Cooney.
Because Cooney can shoot better and he could space the floor for Triche, Southerland, Grant, Fair.

Nope MCW played all the minutes because he was the better PG.

I see where you’re going with this, but Cooney didn’t start in 2012. I do think there’s somewhat of a worry about benching Joe and losing him forever. Not saying I agree with it.

I see where you’re going with this, but Cooney didn’t start in 2012. I do think there’s somewhat of a worry about benching Joe and losing him forever. Not saying I agree with it.
I hear you but explain then how can you tell Kadary he is going to start next season?
I would worry about that losing him.

If Joe can’t handle the better player starting I would question him and I know you aren’t saying that.
I am saying that. If Joe has to start for his psyche when he isn’t the better player then JB should be giving him the token start he would give Fab Melo and Rak in 2011 and 2012.

I hear you but explain then how can you tell Kadary he is going to start next season?
I would worry about that losing him.

If Joe can’t handle the better player starting I would question him and I know you aren’t saying that.
I am saying that. If Joe has to start for his psyche when he isn’t the better player then JB should be giving him the token start he would give Fab Melo and Rak in 2011 and 2012.

I honestly don’t know. Maybe Buddy plays forward. Gulp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom