Warriors sign Malachi to summer league team | Syracusefan.com

Warriors sign Malachi to summer league team

Was selfishly hoping Malachi might end up on the Jazz summer league team.

Nice opportunity for him -- if they re-up Klay / KD, then they are going to want to find cheap bench fillers who can help until those guys [i.e, Klay] are ready to play again later in the season.

Hope Mali shoots well.
I think Ky is a significant NBA contributor very soon (maybe not as much in GS). The modern NBA has such a blind spot right now if players like Ky and Tyus are not even drafted. Meanwhile, guys players like Ricky Ledo and "our guy" D.Bazley get drafted. I suppose a guy like Malachi should be referenced here too, as a poor pick, but at least he played one year of college.

Hope he makes it. The warriors are bringing in everyone this summer.

malachi. ky bowman, jimmer fredette. just shows how tough this league is even if you can excel in college. eats up even the best. think twice .

Malachi didn't even get in to the Warriors summer league last night.

Yeahhhhh not a good sign.

Malachi struck while the iron was hot and maximized his draft status.

However, I do not believe he was even remotely close to being ready to play in the NBA.

I will always root for guys to do well in the NBA that played at SU -- I wish Chris McCullough would have succeeded, Donte Greene, everyone. I just think some kids, even if they are drafted in the first round, could use more seasoning if they want to stick in the league and get a second contract.

However, I do not believe he was even remotely close to being ready to play in the NBA.

I will always root for guys to do well in the NBA that played at SU -- I wish Chris McCullough would have succeeded, Donte Greene, everyone. I just think some kids, even if they are drafted in the first round, could use more seasoning if they want to stick in the league and get a second contract.
He absolutely made the right decision to go pro when he did. I can remember early that year, I was so furious at how lazy his defense was at times, that I was hoping JB would bench him. He also had a few nights where he literally shot us out of a game. Specifically at Georgetown (1-8) and Pitt at home, where he was (1-10). His legacy was changed during one insane 10 minute stretch. Two of his best games all year were in the tourney against Dayton and UVA, (who he played well against in the regular season as well.) He went exactly when he need too, but, I never saw him as a long term NBA player. I hope he proves me wrong though!

Last edited:
He absolutely made the right decision to go pro when he did. I can remember early that year, I was so furious at how lazy his defense was at times, that I was hoping JB would bench him. He also had a few nights where he literally shot us out of a game. Specifically at Georgetown (1-8) and Pitt at home, where he was (1-10). His legacy was changed during one insane 10 minute stretch. Two of his best games all year were in the tourney against Dayton and UVA, (who he played well against in the regular season as well.) He went exactly when he need too, but, I never saw him as a long term NBA player. I hope he proves me wrong though!

I think he's proven you right...

Malachi started tonight. Had 9 points on 3-4 from 3 along with 4-5 rebs and a couple of assists. Had the best +/-.

He didn’t play last night but in their 2 games, not everyone has played in each game. 4-5 sat out each game. They have so many players on their summer roster and are going to play in two leagues, they’re only playing about 12 each game to give guys a good look instead of playing all 16-17.

Malachi started tonight. Had 9 points on 3-4 from 3 along with 4-5 rebs and a couple of assists. Had the best +/-.

He didn’t play last night but in their 2 games, not everyone has played in each game. 4-5 sat out each game. They have so many players on their summer roster and are going to play in two leagues, they’re only playing about 12 each game to give guys a good look instead of playing all 16-17.

That is all well and good but the fact remains, he’s going to struggle finding his way back in the NBA. Hope it works out for him.

I have done a 180 on this in the last 5 years. I think you're either good enough or not to stick in the NBA beyond the initial contract no matter how long you stay in school. The odds of sticking in the NBA are so slim. If you're going to be a marginal NBA guy that is out by age 25 regardless and you have a decent chance of showing enough "potential" to trick a GM into drafting you it's better to have that guaranteed money cushion than staying in school longer and trying to get in the league via the 2nd round or undrafted route. Of all the last decade's early entrants I think the only one who had a decent chance to move up the draft boards by staying one more year was Jerami Grant.

I have done a 180 on this in the last 5 years. I think you're either good enough or not to stick in the NBA beyond the initial contract no matter how long you stay in school. The odds of sticking in the NBA are so slim. If you're going to be a marginal NBA guy that is out by age 25 regardless and you have a decent chance of showing enough "potential" to trick a GM into drafting you it's better to have that guaranteed money cushion than staying in school longer and trying to get in the league via the 2nd round or undrafted route. Of all the last decade's early entrants I think the only one who had a decent chance to move up the draft boards by staying one more year was Jerami Grant.

I think Donte Greene is another one, but he did manage to sneak into the back end of the 1st round and get that guaranteed money, so I guess it worked out for him.

Malachi started again today and played 20 mins. Unfortunately he only scored 1 point and shot 0-4.

Oshae obviously had the chance to move up too, since he never got drafted, and i think he couldve worked himself to round 1. That being said, agree w your initial point. It also somewhat defies common sense to say that guy wont get better in nba when fully dedicated to playing. Nba is just a crazy high level. Thats why guys fail.

FWIW, Jimmer Fredette who was on the warriors summer league team also has left the team.

Acxshooaly the longer you stay in school you more “seasoned” you are. This seasoning is very important and the “Seasoning Against Replacement Player” (SARP) is being looked at more and more by NBA FO guys.

the wheels on the bus go round and round...

girl19n-7-web.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom