was it common knowledge?? | Syracusefan.com

was it common knowledge??

CuseGrad94

Starter
The 4 candidates that Cuse search committee interviewed in 16? It is the first I saw names published. It was in Nate Mink's article this AM. I would post the link but I dont know how.

Durkin...Disaster
Edsall...Surprised after the P hire
Frost...I heard this one
Golden... Good God no.

Gun to my head all things considered I take AL Golden there and it isn't even close. Frost obviously would not have been around very long. Obviously we got Babers.

I am not sure the U was the best spot for Al Golden, glad Rutgers did not hire Golden

Interesting article. I also find it interesting now that we have a second member of the athletic department very publicly sayinng we’ve got our guy and we will keep him.

Either they want the public to know they did everything they could if he bolts or this is part of an attempt to public ally support him so he knows they are ready to extend it in fact he won’t negotiate in season.

The alumni, specifically football, made the huge push for Edsall.

Another thing that I think people forget amongst all the rhetoric was that Syracuse was a hard pass on Ash.

The way I was told it, Ash’s agent reached out and we said no thanks. Then all of a sudden there’s a news line saying Chris Ash removes himself from Syracuse consideration. Well yeah, bc we told your agent keep walking. Doesn’t matter now, we have our guy.

The only curveball in the process was Frost. Then it was locked in with Dino.

Last edited:
The 4 candidates that Cuse search committee interviewed in 16? It is the first I saw names published. It was in Nate Mink's article this AM. I would post the link but I dont know how.

Durkin...Disaster
Frost...I heard this one
Golden... Good God no.

It was all news to me. The lack of Ash interviewing was interesting

Durkin...Disaster
Frost...I heard this one
Golden... Good God no.

This is pretty much why I think search committees suck. Teenagers could pick better candidates.

Do you think he had any interest? The read I always got was that he had a bad taste in his mouth for the Alma Mater? I only get that from reading articles and such.

Do you think he had any interest? The read I always got was that he had a bad taste in his mouth for the Alma Mater? I only get that from reading articles and such.
I absolutely think he would’ve jumped for the job at the time.

Nah dude, we told his agent to keep it moving early.

LOL if you knew that why didn’t you slam the brakes on the “Brace yourselves mods” thread?

JK I’m reading it again right now and I’m glad you didn’t.

LOL if you knew that why didn’t you slam the brakes on the “Brace yourselves mods” thread?

JK I’m reading it again right now and I’m glad you didn’t.
Don’t remeber the timeline, I’m sure I had some beauties in there. The last couple days there was mass confusion, but, I do know everything I was told cane to fruition.

Nah dude, we told his agent to keep it moving early.

Hmm. I thought there was reciprocal interest due to the Coyle-Ash Drake connection? My top three were Brohm, Frost, Babers, in that order. But i recall being ok with the prospect of Ash when everyone else was flipping out. Happy to be wrong on that one.

Hmm. I thought there was reciprocal interest due to the Coyle-Ash Drake connection? My top three were Brohm, Frost, Babers, in that order. But i recall being ok with the prospect of Ash when everyone else was flipping out. Happy to be wrong on that one.
I was Campbell, Frost then Babers... and I’m so happy it went the way it did.

Funny when you consider that internet mythology says Ash turned Syracuse down.

with zero inside knowledge - this could simply be a spin cycle put out by a Syracuse talking head just as easy.

I was Campbell, Frost then Babers... and I’m so happy it went the way it did.

I was always babers (honestly didnt really know who campbell even was at the time) because this was a clear stepping stone for frost.

I think it was just something that was floated. something like, "Coyle knows Ash from College" - which then went through the internet blender and turned into "Ash interviewed for the jobbed and turned it down."

and the thing is, I don't believe they actually new each other, I think they just happened to be alums of Drake but they didn't cross paths there

Last edited:
Wait so the greatest meltdown thread on this board was totally for naught?
If I remember right a player tweeted something about Chris Ash so there was definitely a lot of smoke.

with zero inside knowledge - this could simply be a spin cycle put out by a Syracuse talking head just as easy.

Why would Floyd say they interviewed Durkin, Golden and Esdal and say they never spoke with Ash? Why spin that ? The guy I wouldn't mention having interviewed is Durkin. just sayin.

There was a recent article I thought that said 2 guys were interviewed Babers and Frost; I assume interviewed by Coyle.

I also assume the 3 others above didn't make it past the search committee.

I believe at the time there was a lot of misinformation and coaches' agents are very guilty of it. Ash might very well have made himself a candidate at Syracuse to garner leverage from Rutgers.

Last edited:

Another thing that I think people forget amongst all the rhetoric was that Syracuse was a hard pass on Ash.

The way I was told it, Ash’s agent reached out and we said no thanks. Then all of a sudden there’s a news line saying Chris Ash removes himself from Syracuse consideration. Well yeah, bc we told your agent keep walking. Doesn’t matter now, we have our guy.

The only curveball in the process was Frost. Then it was locked in with Dino.

This is terrifying. I'm more confident than ever that football alumni should have no business having input on coaching hires. They are too connected to certain coaches that they came in contact with.

I think we stumbled into Babers and got lucky that he saw the dome and ED as an advantage. But there are some lessons to be learned - skip the retread, hire for offense (specifically one that takes advantage of the dome), dynamic leader who believes Syracuse can win.

According to Coyle it was always Babers, he knew Frost was on the first train outta town.

The Ash thing was done because it was funny. Well for most anyway.