Was Martin really the problem | Syracusefan.com

Was Martin really the problem

AngryOtto

All Conference
I am starting to question whether Martin was really the issue for lack of development in TD. Gilbert has been here for almost 9 months and TD still showing the same struggles as last year. I know they were in zoom but you know they must have been a lot of discussions on things that needed to be corrected.
I remember last year Dino mentioned that they want TD to step up more in the packet instead of fading back. This is still an issue a year later.
I really hoped TD would make a big step forward this season but after watching the game I am not sure that will ever occur regardless of the qb coach.

I am starting to question whether Martin was really the issue for lack of development in TD. Gilbert has been here for almost 9 months and TD still showing the same struggles as last year. I know they were in zoom but you know they must have been a lot of discussions on things that needed to be corrected.
I remember last year Dino mentioned that they want TD to step up more in the packet instead of fading back. This is still an issue a year later.
I really hoped TD would make a big step forward this season but after watching the game I am not sure that will ever occur regardless of the qb coach.

Well, out of the 9 months of being here, how many has Gilbert been able to work with TD in person? Spring practice of a couple days and a modified summer camp.

If you can learn calculus and physics over zoom you can certainly work on mechanics. It’s not like they did not speak.

If you can learn calculus and physics over zoom you can certainly work on mechanics. It’s not like they did not speak.

um no

TD’s problem isn’t mechanics. If I were to guess it’s his ability read the field quickly and calmly. It seems like he’s got the yips a bit from getting hit a lot coupled with a healthy dose of playing it too safe (this is 1000x armchair stuff)

Sterling has coached a lot of QB’s. He is good.

Didn't see your post before starting a similar thread. Imo, this hire hurt us more by setting us back in qb recruiting. High level qb recruits and their families could see our guy was in over his head. If you have better options, why leap onto a train careening toward a brick wall?

a lot easier to show people where to stand than it is to show people how to fix mechanics.. if it was easy the pros wouldnt have to bring their golf guy to the range they could just zoom the fixes in

Martin set the recruiting back 2 years. He never recruited a QB or anybody from Texas.
Regarding TD's developement, I just don't think TD has the "QB's natural instincts". I remember watching a game last year where he repeated a mistake three times in the first quarter. I couldn't understand that.

A top tier QB recruit is not going to commit to a program where there is no open competition for the starting job, which there hasn't been at SU for the last 3 years. So, no Martin did not hurt recruiting.

I think DeVito is too worried about throwing picks. He needs to sling it. There's opportunities. At some point not throwing a pick for a long time isn't impressive when you're not taking any chances.
You read my mind or you’ve heard me screaming this. It’s spot on. His interception stat is great but he also leads the free world in intentional chucks out of bounds on 3rd down. TAKE SOME CHANCES!!!

You read my mind or you’ve heard me screaming this. It’s spot on. His interception stat is great but he also leads the free world in intentional chucks out of bounds on 3rd down. TAKE SOME CHANCES!!!
Right. If your on 3rd down and you throw a 20 or more yard interception, that is basically as good as a punt. The upside of that throw has 2 positive outcomes: A reception for a successful play or a penalty which would also move the chains. Basic analysis.

A top tier QB recruit is not going to commit to a program where there is no open competition for the starting job, which there hasn't been at SU for the last 3 years. So, no Martin did not hurt recruiting.
Martin recruited nobody from Texas. He gets an “F” for recruiting

My question is...why is the qb coach such a problem and impact when this is supposed to be dinos wheelhouse?

Tommy Doesn’t need coaching he’s been coached his whole life he needs a pocket and play design ... watch the high school highlight
Vs deandre swifts team watch the pocket presence and pocket feet and execution
Stop with the bs no Qb can excell under last years and looks like this years circumstances
Go ahead watch

My question is...why is the qb coach such a problem and impact when this is supposed to be dinos wheelhouse?
I was asking the question because a lot of posters placed the blame on Martin. I do think Dino has tried to work with TD. I seemed Dino was frustrated last year when he continued to not step up in the pocket and kept going backwards.

Tommy Doesn’t need coaching he’s been coached his whole life he needs a pocket and play design ... watch the high school highlight
Stop with the bs no Qb can excell under last years and looks like this years circumstances
Go ahead watch

What?

Go ahead watch

Listen I expect you to support TD but to say he does not need coaching is ridiculous. You are comparing high school to P5 defenses and schemes. No comparison. There was big issues with the line but TD was far from perfect and had a number of areas that needed improvement.

Listen I expect you to support TD but to say he does not need coaching is ridiculous. You are comparing high school to P5 defenses and schemes. No comparison. There was big issues with the line but TD was far from perfect and had a number of areas that needed improvement.
You call him out for no pocket presence well I showed you a pocket and there’s the presence . His strength is he was coached well since youth this thread is about his college coaching he is plug and play above the shoulders that’s what I’m saying
It kills me to hear this bs he has no pocket presence and he needs coaching. he has his masters degree in Qb coaching
He needs some support . How about watching his pocket presence in the film and saying yeah I see he has it when he had a pocket