Washington | Syracusefan.com

Washington

Definitely sees the court well. That said I felt that he looked uncomfortable at times with the ball in his hands. Weird as he seemed a bit off on the perimeter but once he penetrated things slowed down for him

He did make that ok ne huge mistake with the easy turnover... but colgate missed two layups and he went down the floor and picked up an assist to Guerrier. I think Goodine is our 2nd best PG rn. He doesnt make the flashy assists like Howard but he doesnt seem to make stupid turnovers and thevoffense just runs smooth

I still don't understand why Sam Spann didn't get more minutes?

I suspect if we lose Carey, we are going to a three guard rotation with Washington being a break glass in emergency or blow out minutes kind of guy. That said we have at least two guys Carey and Guerrier who were expected to play big minutes who both look like they don't have JB's trust. If neither Carey or Guerrier ease into the big minute roles that they were anticipated to have there are minutes up for grabs.

Last edited:
I think Washington is going to be 10th man, assuming Carey is not in the picture

JG3
Buddy - who will play 35 but should play 30
Eli - see note on Buddy
Marek - who will play back up 5 in ACC play
Sid

Goodine is our only sub for either guard
QG is our front court sub
Edwards gets spot minutes on bad foul trouble nights
Braswell gets fewer spot minutes on bad foul trouble nights
HoWash gets less and mainly garbage or extenuating circumstance nights

I think Washington is going to be 10th man, assuming Carey is not in the picture

JG3
Eli - see note on Buddy
Sid

Agree. I’m curious how Washington does in transition and at a higher pace. But I assume he will be needed at some point, be it foul trouble or nights where another one of the guys is off.

Separately I was impressed by Girard in transition last night. He looks to move fast and while he made some mistakes he also had some great assists.

One thing that both HoWash and JG3 do with the ball when they bring it up is they don't stop with the ball, but keep pushing forward even if they slow down, and use their dribble to protect the ball. That's a basic PG skill, but one that seems to be lacking in the some combo guard projects.

Going into the year I thought he was the best point guard on the team. Not so sure now, with the emergence of Girard, but he knows how to play the position (and defend). Loved the set-up for Guerrier, who'd looked totally inept on offense and needed a bucket, near the end of the game. That is a classic point guard move.

waiting to see how they play vs OKSU.

all our guards looked bad vs UVA

Prediction. Not great. If we can somehow sneak into the Patriot League this year though I think our guards may be fine. We're on par athletically, can exploit them with our size, and shooting if they make a mistake defensively...it may just work.

JG3
Eli - see note on Buddy
Sid

This is pretty much how I see it shaking out too.

Washington is a good player. He might end up seeing more time than many expect.
Certainly hope so...after all he's been through.

It's hard to imagine having a stroke at 20!
And coming right back.
And the injury before that.
Plus he's always wanted to be Orange.

All that shows a level of dedication that may be rewarded.
He may be like the tortoise in the tortoise v. hare situation.
He keeps at it and his skills are finally appreciated with PT.

He's the kind of player who will make a great coach one day...if that's what he wants to do.

Last edited:
He did make that ok ne huge mistake with the easy turnover... but colgate missed two layups and he went down the floor and picked up an assist to Guerrier. I think Goodine is our 2nd best PG rn. He doesnt make the flashy assists like Howard but he doesnt seem to make stupid turnovers and thevoffense just runs smooth
But is Howard gonna be able to make those flashy assists or penetrate against bigger and more athletic teams? I have my doubts. That’s why we needed Carey to show some progress. I hope JB gives him some more chances in the non conference to prove he can play PG. We’re only 2 games into the season. But, yes, it doesn’t look good for Carey right now, and Girard and Goodine look more comfortable out there. Next few games will be telling.

Washington has point guard skills, but he also gave up three threes in about two minutes. He looks physically fragile. He does not bring more to the table than Goodine. He will not play.

From the little I saw of him I thought his handle was the best on the team. As some have noted made a couple of mistakes and on TV they showed JB and HW having a spirited conversation. It was at a time out and I was a little worried he would not be on the floor after but alas he was. I hope to see more pt during the next few games.

It was only garbage time but he’s older has been around the program and physically is over a horrific injury. I can’t tell what we have in Goodine this year. And Buddy and Girard are both young idk if you can lean on them for 40 minutes in ACC play as I feel like that is what JB is gonna do.

Let’s see what we have.

JG3
Eli - see note on Buddy
Sid

Good take, and hopefully we can be even more flexible with the 5 depending on the matchup. Edwards gets more time when we want to go big. Marek gets more time when we want to go smaller. That happened sometimes during the Lydon years...

In the end, if we get production out of 3 guards, 3 forwards, and Edwards is serviceable - should at least be competitive this year.

Watching JB post game presser he said he let a group of players into the game in the second half and no one knew where they were supposed to be on defense...not a quote, just paraphrasing sort of. Who were he talking about? HoWash? Braswell? The whole garbage time unit?

Watching JB post game presser he said he let a group of players into the game in the second half and no one knew where they were supposed to be on defense...not a quote, just paraphrasing sort of. Who were he talking about? HoWash? Braswell? The whole garbage time unit?
That’s called poor coaching. How many weeks have they been practicing? He has more excuses than anyone I know to try and justify why he won’t play more than 7 players. It’s getting so old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom