Watching Wisconsin hammer Nebraska | Syracusefan.com

Watching Wisconsin hammer Nebraska

SWC75

Bored Historian
...the way the Cornhuskers used to hammer everybody else, including, sometimes, Wisconsin, (Barry Alvarez played linebacker for Bob Devaney and patterend the Wisconsin program after Nebraska), I began to wonder if we'd ever see Syracuse have a dominant team like that. It may sound crazy, but our offense this year has looked very potent at times with Nassib throwing to Lemon and Sales and Smith running downhill. We will have to replace some people but some of the recruits look like they might turn out to be even better than what we had. Doug Marrone, being a former offensive tackle, I'm sure wants to have a strong offensive line each year and the one we had this year was the best since the late 80's. He's also a former Saints offensive coach who longs to have that type of offense on the collegiate level and we somewhat resembled that at times this season. I love the way Jerome Smith and Adonis Ameen-Moore ran "downhill" this year with Prince-Tyson Gulley as a change of pace. I think Scott Shafer is an excellent defensive coach, What he needs are big mobile linebakcers like Derrell Smith and Doug Hogue, rather than overgrown D-backs like we seem to have now. But those kinds of guys may be in the pipeline.

Wisconsin was terrible for years until Alvarez built the program up to what it is today and handed it over to Brett Bielema. Last year they averaged 236 yards rushing and 234 yards passing and 44 points a game. I don't think we will ever be Oregon or Alabama but I wonder if we could be Wisconsin someday.

This has got to be the most shocking score of the weekend. I don't think anyone saw Wisconsin putting up 70 on the Huskers.

I remember reading in SI about how and why Miami and Florida State were smoking everybody those few years. The game turned to speed and not strength, and so the areas where you needed to recruit changed.

The game today needs speed as much as any era in football, and New York has tremendous population that won't go away.

Nebraska playing Miami so far back, when Nebraska was the best program in football. Syracuse was a National Champion about that time.

Why Not Us?

Nebraska has had a great football program since the early 1960's.

They rank in the top 5 major football programs with total wins. They've sold their home games out for over 300 consecutive games. Ranked in the top 20 every year for over 30 straight years, starting in 1969. 5 national championships.(thank you wikipedia)

Since Osborne retired in 97 they've had 4 head coaches. Callahan drove them off a cliff, almost ARob-like. They've had some Coach P type losses the past few years.

Pelini seems to have them headed in the right direction, but they don't take kindly to this kind of an embarrassment.

Weird that their fans didn't appear to be all that interested in this game. Unusual for that fan base.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom