Marlowe Wax is back! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marlowe Wax is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really liking this defense and Rocky has a lot to work with.

Defensive line will be solid with a rotation of:
Caleb, Geer, Lockett, Jaquez, Ingraham, Darton…..with Fuentes, Nolton and Simmons seeing some spot snaps too I’m sure. That’s a deep rotation.

Linebacker is DEEP:
Wax, Thompson, McDonald, Rice, Lowery, Sparrow as your main rotation. With Mason, Roon and Bailey getting some snaps.
I think Mason, Bailey and ZMG are the future here and they are going to be really damn good.

Corner worries me a bit just because it’s inexperienced. I definitely think we have talent there but it’s untested talent. I think this is the rotation and top 4 next year:
Johnson (for sure starter), Wilson, Bellamy, Peterson.

Safety I think we are fine as well and have some talent. I think these guys all see snaps next year in the rotation:
Barron, Clark, Oliver, Gould, Simmons, Hanna

That’s a really deep defense and finally has some depth assuming we hold most these guys together which is looking like we will. Can’t wait to see what Rocky is able to draw up with these guys. And wouldn’t be shocked if we add another corner or defensive lineman in the portal.
I totally agree the '23 defense will be strong but how does the Cuse reduce all the injuries that is incurred in the latter part of the season? Is a new S/C coach needed?

Shredder, OG and now Wax in PFFs top 10 for their positions. I know PFF hasn’t been around all that long but I am 99% sure we've never had so many in their preseason top 10 rankings.
Guessing Bergeron, Williams and Tucker had top 10 rankings for their positions last year (or should have had).

Weird -- that PFF national assessment posted on 3/12 had Wax as the 8th rated guy nationally.

But he's only 5th in the ACC, with a couple of conference players that weren't rated higher on the national list?

Weird -- that PFF national assessment posted on 3/12 had Wax as the 8th rated guy nationally.

But he's only 5th in the ACC, with a couple of conference players that weren't rated higher on the national list?
Maybe during ACC play? No idea, just a wild guess.

That is weird. If he's 8th nationally, taking away the non-ACC guys (1, 3, 4 and 7) would make him 4th in conference. A GT LB moved ahead of him. Something's off.

Last edited:
Thompson. Wax. Sparrow. Diesel.

Thompson. Wax. Sparrow. Diesel.
Along with Leon Lowery and a healthier Derek McDonald all with a good amount of experience and production. Add in back-up talent that is inexperienced in Austin Roon and Mekhi Mason and that's a real solid group.

Don’t sleep on Bailey.

If Wax moves inside where Jones played, Bailey will battle Sparrow to fill the position where Wax played.

It will be great If Thompson makes it back to full strength. If not McDonald is fully recovered from his off season surgery.

We are running a 3-3-5 similar to what White ran the past few years, but Long has already shown more flexibility and adaptability in the spring than we had in recent years.

Will we play 3 corners and two safeties against teams that run four and five receiver sets?

Will we see more 3-2-6 or 4-1-6 sets next season like we did in the spring?

Will we develop a couple of hybrid players in the secondary who can play corner and safety interchangeably (Clark, Gould, Simmons)? This would make it more difficult for opposing QBs to get a good pre-snap read against our defense.

We have the players to be more flexible this year.

Don’t sleep on Bailey.

If Wax moves inside where Jones played, Bailey will battle Sparrow to fill the position where Wax played.

It will be great If Thompson makes it back to full strength. If not McDonald is fully recovered from his off season surgery.

We are running a 3-3-5 similar to what White ran the past few years, but Long has already shown more flexibility and adaptability in the spring than we had in recent years.

Will we play 3 corners and two safeties against teams that run four and five receiver sets?

Will we see more 3-2-6 or 4-1-6 sets next season like we did in the spring?

Will we develop a couple of hybrid players in the secondary who can play corner and safety interchangeably (Clark, Gould, Simmons)? This would make it more difficult for opposing QBs to get a good pre-snap read against our defense.

We have the players to be more flexible this year.
The LB depth is as good as it has ever been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom