Way to early 2013 Michael Gbinije Thread | Syracusefan.com

Way to early 2013 Michael Gbinije Thread

CU44SE

All Conference
I know its way to early, but I'm avoiding doing some school work. If Michael Gbinije transfers to Syracuse the 2013 guards will be stacked. If MCW stays and Cooney continues to develop we will have a sophmore Gbinije that has trained at Duke and Syracuse for two years and was a top 30 recruit. Then you have MCW who will have two years experience, running the whole show this coming year. Then you have Cooney who we have heard good things about and will also be a sophomore in his third year. Thats not to mention anyone we pick up in the Class of 2013 (Ennis). I know there is a lot of ifs here, but that would be three guards that have trained against very good players. It would not be a freshman walking in where you have no idea how they will transition from high school into the NCAA. Thats not to mention all the front court players we have. On paper two years ahead of schedule that looks like a daunting team.

Yup, hes already 28 on draft express...scouts know allll about him
I will be surprised if he reaches lottery. But if he does, while I love scoop, it is almost per se evidence that he was underutilized this year. I don't think you should go from largely irrelevant 4th guard to top 5 guard nationally in one year unless you are at a top 5 program and playing behind other lottery picks. I was always a big fan of scoop and he even turned some doubters around this year but this is why I was somewhat lukewarm on his return. I was glad but not convinced it made Cuse appreciably better bc of the mcw upside. If he goes lottery I think in retrospect it will be unfortunate he was not given the keys last year, to an extent.

I will be surprised if he reaches lottery. But if he does, while I love scoop, it is almost per se evidence that he was underutilized this year. I don't think you should go from largely irrelevant 4th guard to top 5 guard nationally in one year unless you are at a top 5 program and playing behind other lottery picks. I was always a big fan of scoop and he even turned some doubters around this year but this is why I was somewhat lukewarm on his return. I was glad but not convinced it made Cuse appreciably better bc of the mcw upside. If he goes lottery I think in retrospect it will be unfortunate he was not given the keys last year, to an extent.

34-3

I don't see it. How would where MCW goes in the draft be any sort of evidence of underutilization? Being a pro at the end of next year does not mean he was better than Scoop this year. I can understand initially being skeptical, but in hindsight you really have to give kudos to JB for sticking with his senior.

If MCW goes lottery what unfortunate circumstance will you look back on? 34-3 could have been better, really? Do you think MCW would have made any difference in the OSU game, because that is really all you can look back on the season and try and improve on. As for the regular season, you would have to think it would have been worse without Scoop. MCW's handle has looked a little suspect. MCWs minutes were nonexistant against LVille and Marq for that reason.

Lukewarm about Scoop coming back? What about future benefits. With Scoop coming back the guards were loaded and we had the luxury of redshirting Whitehot. That benefit has yet to be fully played out. The team went 34-3, how much remorse can you possibly have? Another possible benefit of Scoop returning is we have no doubts about MCW coming back next year. If you think MCW can be lottery at the end of next year, don't you think that if MCW played all year that he might be mid to late first round now?

I think you should consider the possible negative ramifications if Scoop had left. Dion may have bolted. Cooney would not have redshirted and we would not get his extra year. SU would not have had near the regular season, probably around 22-11. SU would not have been a 1 seed and probably bowed out at the sweet sixteen.
MCW could have played himself into a mid to late first round pick. He may have taken the money and run (under the real money is made on your second contract theory).

There are no circumstances that can in retrospect make it unfortunate that Scoop was given the keys. It was a great move and people who may have questioned the move need a big serving of crow. Most here who did not rejoice in the return of Scoop and Dion have now, in hindsight, quietly gotten on the bandwagon. There is room for you on the Scoop appreciation bandwagon. And that appreciation is not affected by MCW, even if MCW goes to first team all-NBA ("per se" nothing).

No, regardless of what happens with MCW, Scoop should have earned all SU fans respect and admiration. That was a season for the ages, and it was Scoop who was directing the team.

MCW's handle is not even in the same class as Scoop's.

He would need to have a BIG season for that to happen. Could happen but I haven't seen enough evidence yet that he's going to come in and dominate to warrant Lottery right away, duh.

MCW will be a lottery pick after this year.

I just don't see it. MAYBE by the end of his junior year or after he graduates, but right now, he's not even close to being a potential draft pick, let alone lottery pick. His handle is rather weak and he needs to really get stronger with the ball. He was bothered too often by pressure, though not necessarily turning it over. He just wasn't smooth getting into the flow of the offense when he was pressured. His jumper, while not bad, isn't exactly a strength or something he can really rely on at this point. I expect that to take a major jump this summer. We don't even know if he can finish consistently in the paint yet. Heck, can he even get into the paint consistently? I like his makeup, his length, decent shooting ability and potential, but I just don't see how he could be a lottery pick after this year. His body isn't close to being NBA ready.

I hope by the end of his junior year we are having these discussions.

I just don't see it. MAYBE by the end of his junior year or after he graduates, but right now, he's not even close to being a potential draft pick, let alone lottery pick. His handle is rather weak and he needs to really get stronger with the ball. He was bothered too often by pressure, though not necessarily turning it over. He just wasn't smooth getting into the flow of the offense when he was pressured. His jumper, while not bad, isn't exactly a strength or something he can really rely on at this point. I expect that to take a major jump this summer. We don't even know if he can finish consistently in the paint yet. Heck, can he even get into the paint consistently? I like his makeup, his length, decent shooting ability and potential, but I just don't see how he could be a lottery pick after this year. His body isn't close to being NBA ready.

I hope by the end of his junior year we are having these discussions.
Yeah...well...this post goes too far the other way. He is "not even close to being a potential draft pick"!!?? Hopefully that is hyperbole.

IMO MCW has better upside/potential than 2 of 3 guards that played the majority of the minutes this year. Whether that would have translated into better performance on the court, given his relative lack of experience vs. Triche and Scoop, is impossible to say.

Bottom line, it is hard to argue against 34-3.

What was Coach going to do? Bench Scoop when he is a senior, bench Dion when he was the best player on the team, bench Triche when he had started every game since the first day? Whether people like it or not Scoop was a good college guard. MCW played the amount of minutes that was to be expected. I say all this even though I was one that was clamoring for MCW to play.

To the OP, the 2013 guard makeup looks a little susceptible to pressure. At pg you will only have MCW and a frosh Ennis. MCW is a tall guard with a slightly high dribble. When he focuses he can shield the ball well with his body, but it is a slow and methodical walk up the court.

There will be almost no downside to opponents pressing. The LVille, Marqs, and Pitts types will once again be pains.

Right now it looks like that 2013 class needs some ball handlers. MCW and Whitehot better up their games in that area. They have got some time.

Yeah...well...this post goes too far the other way. He is "not even close to being a potential draft pick"!!?? Hopefully that is hyperbole.
Not at all. With his frame, his currently weakish handle and unrefined offensive game, why would a team draft him especially high? I think he'll be a very good player and be a potential first round pick, but at this point in his development, I don't think that'd be possible. Yeah, there's a lot of potential but he has to flash more of it first IMO.

I think everyone's going overboard, and if the kid doesn't amaze there's gonna be a lot of vitriol spewed.

The last two players I recall with these lofty expectations entering a season were Harris and Donte prior to their freshman seasons. Neither came close.

Meanwhile, the guys who did make the lottery, Wes and Flynn, were nowhere on the lottery radar at the beginning of their final season. And you could even throw Dion into the mix, as he was not projected as a lottery pick back in November.

I would like to reiterate. MCW will be a lottery pick in next years draft. carry on

I would like to reiterate. MCW will be a lottery pick in next years draft. carry on
. Are you copying a link to this post so you can come back next year and tell us all "I told you so"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom