Way Too Early 2020 Rankings Thread... | Syracusefan.com

Way Too Early 2020 Rankings Thread...

SDCuse114

Walk On

9. Syracuse: On paper, I’m expecting a similar year in 2020 to what we saw in 2019 for the Orange: very good at times, but ultimately just outside that top tier. In other words, another 9-10 win type campaign where maybe they make the quarterfinals. Cuse loses its top two scorers in Voigt and Solomon, but they do get electric middie Tucker Dordevic back to add to one of the deepest midfields in the country. Stout defenseman Nick Mellen also returns (though linemates Tyson Bomberry and Marcus Cunningham are now gone) as well as goalie Drake Porter. Cuse will have to find some answers at attack, but the midfield, defense, and goal are strong enough to warrant top 10 consideration with the potential for more. IL does not think very highly of their recruiting class, putting them at #18 overall with no one in the top 50.

Seems about right. However, I think they may stumble a bit in the regular season due to their schedule.

Just going off the top of my head, but seems like Penn State, UVA and Yale are the clear top three teams. Would probably rank UMD and Duke four and five and have SU six. Obviously the Chris Gray transfer could change things.

9. Syracuse
Tucker Dordevic should be back after missing last year due to injury, which will soften the loss of Nate Solomon and Bradley Voigt. Nick Mellen and Drake Porter hold down a defense that must replace Tyson Bomberry and Austin Fusco. A deep stable of middies remain a strength.

9. Syracuse
Tucker Dordevic should be back after missing last year due to injury, which will soften the loss of Nate Solomon and Bradley Voigt. Nick Mellen and Drake Porter hold down a defense that must replace Tyson Bomberry and Austin Fusco. A deep stable of middies remain a strength.
I wonder about the excitement over Dordevic's return. It took Conrad a season and a half to regain his former agility and speed. I'm going to wait until fall to plug Dordevic into any position.

I wonder about the excitement over Dordevic's return. It took Conrad a season and a half to regain his former agility and speed. I'm going to wait until fall to plug Dordevic into any position.
Strongly agree. Dordevic has great heart and great potential. But he's been away a long time and I fear far too many folks are pinning enormous hopes on his return. I fear it may create unhealthy pressure on a great young man.

Conrad tore his ACL last season (march), took him about half of this season to look like his old-self but even against us he looked pretty close.

Dont like unfair expectations placed either but injury not an acl which usually takes 18 months for proprioception to fully return. Dordevic did the work and extended time off for recovery.. Might expect some game rust in early fall especially if he is adjusting to attack but he should be quickly up to full game speed and ready for season start

Dont like unfair expectations placed either but injury not an acl which usually takes 18 months for proprioception to fully return. Dordevic did the work and extended time off for recovery.. Might expect some game rust in early fall especially if he is adjusting to attack but he should be quickly up to full game speed and ready for season start

He's currently working out every day - pretty hardcore

I'm with you Sholo. Isn't this a repeat injury too? I know Dordevic is a very hard working and determined person, so I know he'll do the work, but I worry that he may lose a step.

I'm with you Sholo. Isn't this a repeat injury too? I know Dordevic is a very hard working and determined person, so I know he'll do the work, but I worry that he may lose a step.
I think it's the same injury, but a different treatment. They tried to rehab the foot non-surgically, but his attempt at a return to action failed, and necessitated surgery.

Lax Magazine Way Too Early 2020 Rankings

7. SYRACUSE
2019 record: 9-5 (2-2 Atlantic Coast)

Last seen: On the wrong end of a traditional role reversal, unable to keep pace with a dominant offensive talent as it lost a first round NCAA tournament game to Loyola and Pat Spencer.

Senior starts lost: 55 of 140 (39.29 percent)

Senior scoring departing: 93 of 277 points (33.57 percent)

Initial forecast: For those scoring at home, 2019 marked the sixth consecutive year the Orange didn’t advance to the final weekend of the season. This, needless to say, has not gone over well for those in central New York who grew accustomed to making Memorial Day weekend hotel reservations nearly a year in advance on an annual basis for a quarter-century. That it happened when Syracuse fielded arguably its best defense since 2011 had to make it all the more frustrating. The Orange lacked a dominant figure on offense, and now its two most productive players at that end of the field (Bradley Voigt and Nate Solomon) have graduated. That leaves five returnees who finished with between 23 and 39 points returning, but will there be a breakout star next year? Perhaps midfielder Brendan Curry, a third team All-America pick as a sophomore. Syracuse should still be solid on defense, with close defenseman Nick Mellen (second team All-America), long pole Brett Kennedy (third team) and short stick Peter Dearth (honorable mention) all back. It’s not hard to imagine a similar outcome next spring: Perfectly solid with no fatal flaws, but not quite enough oomph to get over the hump in May.

5-1
Way-Early 2020 Rankings: No. 5-1 (Division I Men)

10-6
Way-Early 2020 Rankings: No. 10-6 (Division I Men)

15-11
Way-Early 2020 Rankings: No. 15-11 (Division I Men)

20-16
Way-Early 2020 Rankings: No. 20-16 (Division I Men)

25-21
Way-Early 2020 Rankings: No. 25-21 (Division I Men)

Found these 2017 RR five star rankings interesting with Gray and Munro in transfer portal .
Dordevic was at #17 .

If an alpha like Gray came aboard along with Dordevic returning and Cook and Quinn realizing their potential then geez our offense would be damn potent.

8. Chris Gray, A, Shoreham-Wading River (N.Y.) | Boston U. | 2015: NR
Gray exploded onto the scene this spring, leading Long Island in points with an output of 79 goals along with 22 assists. He’s devastating with time and room, but also quick and savvy enough to beat his man with a strong repertoire of moves from behind the goal or from the wings. Likely a transformational recruit for Ryan Polley’s Terriers.
9. Lucas Quinn, M, Niskayuna (N.Y.) | Syracuse | 2015: No. 3
Despite more attention from opponents, Quinn upped his production to 99 points, earning Albany Times-Union POY honors in the process. In a year’s time, the upstate product has bulked up, developed into a dangerous feeder and has taken his game between the lines. Spearheads a strong group of 2017 middies bound for ‘Cuse.
10. Colin Munro, A, Mountain Vista (Colo.) | UNC | 2015: No. 7
Named an All-American, Munro played inspired lacrosse in the spring, notching 54 goals and 35 assists before taking his talents north of the border to play box all summer. The lefty accomplished a rare feat for an American, winning the coveted Minto Cup in Jr. A with the Coquitlam Adanacs, turning up his production during their playoff run alongside several current college standouts.

Found these 2017 RR five star rankings interesting with Gray and Munro in transfer portal .
Dordevic was at #17 .

If an alpha like Gray came aboard along with Dordevic returning and Cook and Quinn realizing their potential then geez our offense would be damn potent.

8. Chris Gray, A, Shoreham-Wading River (N.Y.) | Boston U. | 2015: NR
Gray exploded onto the scene this spring, leading Long Island in points with an output of 79 goals along with 22 assists. He’s devastating with time and room, but also quick and savvy enough to beat his man with a strong repertoire of moves from behind the goal or from the wings. Likely a transformational recruit for Ryan Polley’s Terriers.
9. Lucas Quinn, M, Niskayuna (N.Y.) | Syracuse | 2015: No. 3
Despite more attention from opponents, Quinn upped his production to 99 points, earning Albany Times-Union POY honors in the process. In a year’s time, the upstate product has bulked up, developed into a dangerous feeder and has taken his game between the lines. Spearheads a strong group of 2017 middies bound for ‘Cuse.
10. Colin Munro, A, Mountain Vista (Colo.) | UNC | 2015: No. 7
Named an All-American, Munro played inspired lacrosse in the spring, notching 54 goals and 35 assists before taking his talents north of the border to play box all summer. The lefty accomplished a rare feat for an American, winning the coveted Minto Cup in Jr. A with the Coquitlam Adanacs, turning up his production during their playoff run alongside several current college standouts.

Several posters have opined that Munro would end up at SU, however, I believe they are forgetting the ACC rules about intra-conference transfers. I suspect he ends up at Denver or Marquette or a similar school. Would be nice to see Quinn realize some of his potential next season.

For ease of use for everyone here is the top ten of the NCAA Lax rankings that Anish references.

1. Penn St
2. UVA
3. Yale
4. Duke
5. Maryland
6. Notre Dame
7. Syracuse
8. Penn
9. Hopkins
10. Denver

Not that it matters at all but I still don't understand why Duke is that high and UPenn is that low. Duke loses their only effective dodging attack with Brad Smith and their defense is gutted, losing the irreplaceable Van Raphoorst, starting D Peter Welsh, their goalie and backup goalie, and their best SSDM John Prendergast. Nobody on their offense scares me besides Nakie Montgomery, and maybe that freshman #50 Garrett Leadmon who looks like a potential future problem. All in all they lose 3 of their top 6 scorers. Spent the end of the season barely getting by teams like Marquette and Richmond (granted the win against ND in the tourney was impressive). Why the hype?? Basically if they switched Penn and Duke it's not a bad list.

Rankings likely reflect Duke and UVA having two of the top incoming classes. .Duke has several in the top ten and ten in top 100. Add in a roster full of former 4-5 stars who start off in supporting then step up when their leads graduate. Its the carnival game where you hammer a head down only to see another spring up and so they are perennial top ten. Cuse does a great job agaisnt them and other ACC regardless of others having recruiting advantages. . Our 15 , 16 and 17 classes may have produced more prime players and 18 group has potential to bear fruit at some point . Gotta give some credit coaches for developing and harnessing .

FWIW these rankings still assume that Scanlan is at Loyola. I think they are giving a lot of credit to teams with recent tournament success (I don’t agree with Notre Dame being ranked that high - they lost their two best offensive players and the architect of their defense in Byrne), and not looking closely enough at who is actually returning for these teams.

Hopefully, Duke will be a little too inexperienced to be a full-fledged contender. The Canadian attackman Dyson Williams (#8) looks like he will probably fit in right away. They bring in 2 highly touted midfielders in Caputo (#17) and Drake (#19). On the defensive end they add 3 highly touted defensive recruits: Will Frisoli (#6), Kenny Brower (#2), and Cameron Henry (#13) - you have to figure at least one of those guys will be ready to go right away.
Goalie does look like a question mark.
Given the inexperience and goalie, maybe around #7-8 is a reasonable place for them
I'd go with:
1) UVa
2) PSU
3) Maryland
4) Yale
5) Syracuse
6) Penn
7) Duke

Hopefully, Duke will be a little too inexperienced to be a full-fledged contender. The Canadian attackman Dyson Williams (#8) looks like he will probably fit in right away. They bring in 2 highly touted midfielders in Caputo (#17) and Drake (#19). On the defensive end they add 3 highly touted defensive recruits: Will Frisoli (#6), Kenny Brower (#2), and Cameron Henry (#13) - you have to figure at least one of those guys will be ready to go right away.
Given the inexperience and goalie, maybe around #7-8 is a reasonable place for them
I'd go with:
1) UVa
2) PSU
3) Maryland
4) Yale
5) Syracuse
6) Penn
7) Duke

This ranking makes a lot of sense overall. However, I always think Maryland is overrated...I'm not seeing them at 3. I would flip Maryland with Cuse

I'd go with:
1) UVa
2) PSU
3) Maryland
4) Yale
5) Syracuse
6) Penn
7) Duke

Dyson Williams will probably be great from the get go but he also seems like someone who primarily excels as an offball guy, which still leaves a gap for a qb attack. Nothing from Robertson made me think he can replicate the production of Guterding or Case Matheis next year. He couldn't even run by Bomberry when we played them. And you're right one of their D recruits will almost definitely step up but Van Raaphorst is a major loss.

Pretty much agree with your list but I'm more scared of Penn next year.

MD looks poised to make a comeback with all those quality D transfers filling in some problem areas. One question will be if the competition they faced at Villanova and Marquette will have them ready to excel from the start in the Big10 up to Tillman's standards. They also still seem a little lacking with O-Middies besides Fairman, but you would know more about that than me. Is he even considered a middie or is he attack?

Fairman has been playing midfield, and is actually a good 2-way midfielder.
A. DeMaio was an HM AA as an offensive midfielder for the Terps, scoring 46 pts. Kyle Long starting getting it done near the end of the season as he moved into a starting role (22 pts). So offensively the Terps return 4 All-Americans, and only have to fill in Louis Dubick's right-hand finisher spot - along with finding some players for the 2nd midfield. N.DeMaio was red-shirting the Spring semester, and Josh Coffman was getting his feet wet. Then you have all the incoming freshmen attackmen: Pallonetti, Sawyer, Brennan, Maltz, and Siracusa.

Ubriaco did fairly well as a freshman at Villanova, and was a 1st team Maryland All-state player at Boys' Latin, so I would expect him to do well at LSM. Grill was all Big East, not just a starter for Marquette.

Fairman has been playing midfield, and is actually a good 2-way midfielder.
A. DeMaio was an HM AA as an offensive midfielder for the Terps, scoring 46 pts. Kyle Long starting getting it done near the end of the season as he moved into a starting role (22 pts). So offensively the Terps return 4 All-Americans, and only have to fill in Louis Dubick's right-hand finisher spot - along with finding some players for the 2nd midfield. N.DeMaio was red-shirting the Spring semester, and Josh Coffman was getting his feet wet. Then you have all the incoming freshmen attackmen: Pallonetti, Sawyer, Brennan, Maltz, and Siracusa.

Ubriaco did fairly well as a freshman at Villanova, and was a 1st team Maryland All-state player at Boys' Latin, so I would expect him to do well at LSM. Grill was all Big East, not just a starter for Marquette.
Ok I see. Here I was thinking DeMaio was maybe the third attack. Great stats for a middie. MD looking good! Just beat Hopkins this time please.