Way too early look ahead to qb in 13' | Syracusefan.com

Way too early look ahead to qb in 13'

bothsocksup

Starter
I was at Metlife this weekend and was thoroughly impressed with Nassib in his understanding and command of the offense. He is not as good as Barkley as far as him arm ability. (Barkley would have hit Kobena in the corner of the endzone at the end of the first half. Its a throw I dont know if Nassib will ever make consistently. With that said, I dont think Barkley can fit it in tight coverage like Ryan is able to. )

Looking forward to next year. While i feel that we might have some quality throwers in our stable, Im worried that there will be a major drop off in understanding of the playbook. Nassib at times really looked 1oo percent in control of the offense, he knew exactly where to go with the ball. His footwork has improved and his feet are much more quiet. I believe that these are directly related to his grasp of the qb position and playbook.

Next years team will be even more talented, with MORE weapons than this years team. The schedule will probbaly not be as stout as the one we will face this year and I think we will have a top 25 caliber team. But who will be under center? Could a true freshman like Allen be able to come right in and learn this playbook? Will they change the offense again for a guy like Broyld? Or will Loeb be able to make the transition in this offense seamlessly.

Its really cool to see an Orange offense that actually moves the ball. Its great to see a qb who takes what the defense is giving him. Its comforting having a quaterback who you feel will make the right read at the right time. We are really going to miss Nassib. For the majority of us, hes not the sexy pick. I know some of us hoped that guys like Kinder/Hunt would overtake Ryan. But after seeing him in person, its easy to see that we have a legit D1 quaterback under center. Im gonna thoroughly enjoy his last 10 games behind center knowing that hes the right man for the job...but who's next?

I think it will be Loeb for 1 year. I used to think it would be Hunt but I've changed my mind.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I think Ryan's happy feet came more from him not trusting his lineman more than him not having a grasp on the position or playbook.

There's no way Allen could come in and beat out Loeb ... too much to learn and Loeb's been here too long. That said, we'll have plenty of options, someone will be ready.

Two years ago I was concerned that we were stuck with Nassib for the next two years while more talented guys had to wait their turn. I was wrong. He's a very good college quarterback. (Not sure about pros- he has to throw deep more accurately). We have some talented guys coming in but they won't have the savvy of a senior quarterback.

It's been along time since I've seen the word "savvy" so I decided to use it. :)

I am glad people are starting to wake up to Nassib. It was lonely here for a few years being the only guy who thought he was good. to the rest of you, welcome aboard.

Next yr is going to be incredibly painful.

didn't loeb win a q.b. award as the top guy in a camp that included barkly and other top q.b.'s.

they were interviewing someone on a saturday talk radio show a few weeks back when the statement was made

I really don't think you need to change the offense for Ashton. If this is the offense Marrone has wanted, it's been shown (at least for Northwestern) the playbook has a few different read option plays and more than allows the QB to run if he wants.

I'm still not really on board with Loeb for a year. Assuming we don't have a chance to win the ACC our first year (likely) I think more is gained by committing to a QB who can start multiple years and rolling with it (Ashton, Allen, Wilson...) Unless starting Loeb guarantees 9 wins, I don't think anything is gained from it.

I think it will be Loeb for 1 year. I used to think it would be Hunt but I've changed my mind.

AGree 100% Bees and I think he will provide a nice transition for the next guy whoever that is, may be Broyld, maybe Huny, maybe the kid from TX who everyone here seems to have appointed the next coming. I can see the staff sliding Broyld back to qb next year and red shirting him

AGree 100% Bees and I think he will provide a nice transition for the next guy whoever that is, may be Broyld, maybe Huny, maybe the kid from TX who everyone here seems to have appointed the next coming. I can see the staff sliding Broyld back to qb next year and red shirting him

Short of injury, there is no way in hell they will redshirt AB next year, IMO. He will be on the field somewhere...

Loeb makes the most sense "only" from an experience standpoint. To my knowledge, which isn't great, this is Loeb's first experience with a no huddle, spread offense.

FWIW, I have been told, the time Hunt missed will be "extremely difficult to make up."

I agree 100% that it is wish fulfillment (the stuff that fans are made of) to assume that Allen will step right in January and be the man. But man, he looks great on film...

Short of injury, there is no way in hell they will redshirt AB next year, IMO. He will be on the field somewhere...

Loeb makes the most sense "only" from an experience standpoint. To my knowledge, which isn't great, this is Loeb's first experience with a no huddle, spread offense.

FWIW, I have been told, the time Hunt missed will be "extremely difficult to make up."

I agree 100% that it is wish fulfillment (the stuff that fans are made of) to assume that Allen will step right in January and be the man. But man, he looks great on film...

And he's kicking ass this year too. He, by the sounds of it, single handedly took down Westlake on Friday (#8 Team in Texas). 36/60, 515 Yards, 6 TD's

I am glad people are starting to wake up to Nassib. It was lonely here for a few years being the only guy who thought he was good. to the rest of you, welcome aboard.

Next yr is going to be incredibly painful.

You weren't the only guy.

And he's kicking ass this year too. He, by the sounds of it, single handedly took down Westlake on Friday (#8 Team in Texas). 36/60, 515 Yards, 6 TD's

I decided years ago that maybe the probablity of any true frosh coming into a BCS program and becoming an effective starter are very very slim. Won't even allow myself to consider Allen as the starter, even with the spring ball practice. Kid could be a great one but I don't see him beating out Loeb. I just dont

I was at Metlife this weekend and was thoroughly impressed with Nassib in his understanding and command of the offense. He is not as good as Barkley as far as him arm ability. (Barkley would have hit Kobena in the corner of the endzone at the end of the first half. Its a throw I dont know if Nassib will ever make consistently. With that said, I dont think Barkley can fit it in tight coverage like Ryan is able to. )

Looking forward to next year. While i feel that we might have some quality throwers in our stable, Im worried that there will be a major drop off in understanding of the playbook. Nassib at times really looked 1oo percent in control of the offense, he knew exactly where to go with the ball. His footwork has improved and his feet are much more quiet. I believe that these are directly related to his grasp of the qb position and playbook.

Next years team will be even more talented, with MORE weapons than this years team. The schedule will probbaly not be as stout as the one we will face this year and I think we will have a top 25 caliber team. But who will be under center? Could a true freshman like Allen be able to come right in and learn this playbook? Will they change the offense again for a guy like Broyld? Or will Loeb be able to make the transition in this offense seamlessly.

Its really cool to see an Orange offense that actually moves the ball. Its great to see a qb who takes what the defense is giving him. Its comforting having a quaterback who you feel will make the right read at the right time. We are really going to miss Nassib. For the majority of us, hes not the sexy pick. I know some of us hoped that guys like Kinder/Hunt would overtake Ryan. But after seeing him in person, its easy to see that we have a legit D1 quaterback under center. Im gonna thoroughly enjoy his last 10 games behind center knowing that hes the right man for the job...but who's next?
Aren't both incoming QBs expected to be at SU for Spring ball? Might that not allow for the possibility that one might start?

well that sucks

Loeb scares me. What's his ceiling? Andrew Robinson?

You weren't the only guy.

Probably not. But you and he were drowned out by the critics, who find it irresistible to point to shortcomings and failures to display how smart they are. Nassib has, to me, always shown a level of competence. Not brilliance, but competence.

Since Hunt is only a redshirt freshman I don't see how it'll be extremely difficult to make up the 15 spring practices he missed.

He'll have the extra bowl practices this December and then spring ball to win the job. He unquestionably will bring the best combined running and passing skill set to the competition in the spring.

Probably not. But you and he were drowned out by the critics, who find it irresistible to point to shortcomings and failures to display how smart they are. Nassib has, to me, always shown a level of competence. Not brilliance, but competence.

agreed and I've always supported Nassib. he's been a solid competant qb his entire career; with a horrible supporting cast. obviously still has his flaws (like the happy feet he showed early against usc) but I'll live with it, he's the best passing QB we've had here since Philcox.

Since Hunt is only a redshirt freshman I don't see how it'll be extremely difficult to make up the 15 spring practices he missed.

He'll have the extra bowl practices this December and then spring ball to win the job. He unquestionably will bring the best combined running and passing skill set to the competition in the spring.

Better passing and running than Allen, Wilson, or Broyld? I doubt it. Hunt's advantage is that he's been in the system, but I think he isn't physically as good as either of those 3.

I guess this is a legitimate topic for discussion.

But the answer is obvious. We don't know because we have so little data.

All of these responses are "guesses" and even " Wild Ass Guesses".

The amazing part of this to me is how forcefully some of these "guesses" are put forward.

The SU football program appears to be finding its feet after a long period in which we were flailing about. When stable programs lose senior QBs they then move to the next player in the queue.

If Nassib proves anything it's that experience and familiarity and tenure do have value.

Better passing and running than Allen, Wilson, or Broyld? I doubt it. Hunt's advantage is that he's been in the system, but I think he isn't physically as good as either of those 3.

we disagree then.

better passer 'might' be allen, could be loeb. better runner is broyld. don't personally know a thing about wilson and nobody can judge his tape.

best mix of run and pass is hunt in my opinion.

he had good scrimmages in august - and this was actually against college kids.

There's plenty of time and practice snaps ahead for you to change your mind again. May the best man win. But when Nassib is out of the picture come spring, the competition for his successor can really get underway.

I'm just hoping that Allen and Austin get to SU for the Spring. Whoever wins out, how nice is it to have Loeb, Hunt, Kinder, Ashton, Allen and Austin to compete for the job? It's been a long time since we've had that kind of "depth". All we need is one of two to put their nose to the grindstone and make it happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom