We all want to know what Autry will do different | Syracusefan.com

We all want to know what Autry will do different

Millhouse

Living Legend
But it would be kinda distasteful for him to come out of the gate saying I'm going to do this and that different than the hall of famer I learned from. And it would also raise the question of why go internal when there are a hundred proven coaches who would also do something different.

Tough spot. We are all just going to have to wait and see

If I were Autry and SU I would go heavy on analytics (preferably consultants rather than some in house kids making it up as they go) and humbly say that boeheim was his own intuitive analytics department. It's actually true and it might help us improve our offense without insulting JB (not that that it is all that important but it would be nice to be a little delicate here)

But it would be kinda distasteful for him to come out of the gate saying I'm going to do this and that different than the hall of famer I learned from. And it would also raise the question of why go internal when there are a hundred proven coaches who would also do something different.

If I were Autry and SU I would go heavy on analytics (preferably consultants rather than some in house kids making it up as they go) and humbly say that boeheim was his own intuitive analytics department. It's actually true and it might help us improve our offense without insulting JB (not that that it is all that important but it would be nice to be a little delicate here)
Can I say i love this kinder gentler Millhouse, all I can say is your kids must be off the chart cute good kids! ;):)

Red isn’t boeheim I expect him to do things differently I think we see a lot more man than zone next year

If I were Autry and SU I would go heavy on analytics
Concur. At least somone who understands the benefits of analytics and where they can benefit the team. Some P6 team is going to hire Ben McCollum as an asst or right into being a HC. I know it's a long shot, in a many different ways, but that'd be a homerun hire for a few seasons before he goes to the NBA or a takes a HC position at a D1 program.

For 47 years, JB was in charge of the kitchen, and Red and the other assistants could only shop for the groceries on JB's list.

Now we have a new head chef and a new menu.
But when you’ve only been in one kitchen and under one chef, it’s hard to imagine you changing too much from what you’re used to when it’s you’re turn to cook

But when you’ve only been in one kitchen and under one chef, it’s hard to imagine you changing too much from what you’re used to when it’s you’re turn to cook

Except that Red cooked under Seth Greenberg at VA Tech for a few years.

And he spent some time coaching HS and AAU programs in the DMV.

Except that Red cooked under Seth Greenberg at VA Tech for a few years.

And he spent some time coaching HS and AAU programs in the DMV.
Is this supposed to make me feel better?

Does he subscribe to coach Allen on YouTube

For 47 years, JB was in charge of the kitchen, and Red and the other assistants could only shop for the groceries on JB's list.

But, we do not have any / many ingredients.

We will be eating meat pie until Red can recruit some players.

I learned how to make the best lasagna in the world. I will fight anyone who denies it to the death. It had a great run, we ate it way too much learning from the master, the tomatoes make my throat hurt, the noodles are too many carbs and the dairy in the ricotta (cinnamon in the ricotta is the secret, no one knows that's what it is but that's what you need to do along with more noodles and thinner fillings) makes me shart myself. I try to cook other stuff because the lasagna doesn't work anymore but you get better food at restaurants. Maybe I go back to it once in a while knowing it will end in a mess.

This is a little like hiring someone who learned everything about the 2-3

I’d like for the offense to be torn down and rebuilt.

I’d like for the defense to be remodeled, so to speak. Keep the bones, keep the ‘switch everything’ m2m that we know as the matchup zone, but retool some of the rotations and assignments, switch to a more functional m2m with heavy ball pressure and doubles when called for.

Through recruiting and game plan, we need to get back to overwhelming teams with size and athleticism. Red needs to cultivate something that makes SU SU.

Last edited:
I’d like for the offense to be torn down and rebuilt.

I’d like for the defense to be remodeled, so to speak. Keep the bones, keep the ‘switch everything’ m2m that we know as the matchup zone, but retool some of the rotations and assignments, switch to a more functional m2m with heavy ball pressure and doubles when called for.

Through recruiting and game plan, we need to get back to overwhelming teams with size and athleticism. Red needs to cultivate something that makes SU SU.

The offense -- it needs to be.

Agree 100%.

The offense -- it needs to be.

Agree 100%.

My fear is a ‘do what everybody else is doing’ offense and defense. We’re not going to be landing top 10 recruiting classes and transfers are inherently volatile. I worry about placing too much reliance on being able to do what everybody is else is doing but with better players. That’s a way to have big record swings season to season.

I’ll be looking for some kind of system that sets SU apart; a system we can recruit to. Meaning we can get more out of a 3 or 4 star who fits what we’re doing.

105-7.jpg

It will be interesting, to be sure.

I'm kind of ambivalent as to what gets said to fans about what will be different, because coaches say things.

But it's going to be really, really important that recruits and portal guys understand clearly what's different about where we're going.

My fear is a ‘do what everybody else is doing’ offense and defense. We’re not going to be landing top 10 recruiting classes and transfers are inherently volatile. I worry about placing too much reliance on being able to do what everybody is else is doing but with better players. That’s a way to have big record swings season to season.

I’ll be looking for some kind of system that sets SU apart; a system we can recruit to. Meaning we can get more out of a 3 or 4 star who fits what we’re doing.
Grinnell The System

Have one guy score a hundred forty and win by a point ha

bellarmine, yeshiva etc

I think with the dome we don't need to go crazy trying to be different

Grinnell The System

Have one guy score a hundred forty and win by a point ha

bellarmine, yeshiva etc

I think with the dome we don't need to go crazy trying to be different

We don't need to go crazy, but we need something. If we're talking about winning championships eventually, we're not going to do that by doing what everybody else does but better.

I'm kind of ambivalent as to what gets said to fans about what will be different, because coaches say things.

But it's going to be really, really important that recruits and portal guys understand clearly what's different about where we're going.

Bingo. I'm fine with boring pressers and general stuff to the fans while the secret sauce stays in the Melo center and we get to see the recruiting/talent wins and the product on the court. Very excited for the summer session folks have mentioned (Israel) to get a first look.

My big fear is that the pendulum swings to where we emphasize athleticism to the point where we end up being one of those teams that are all hustle / intensity, but suck at executing a cohesive offensive concept.

But on the other hand, Autry is a former lead guard who played professionally, so hopefully he doesn't just roll the ball out like that no-trick pony at uconn.

Yep, you don't tie the hand of the guy you've hired because you're afraid of what the old guy will say/do. That fear is why we're here in the first place. The AD honored Boeheim by sticking by him through thick and thin and then they hired his underling. I don't blame them a bit for not wanting him in Manley in some other role, which is what Boeheim seems to be demanding. Can't let his shadow hamper Autry's ability to recruit and coach his team as he wants.

My big fear is that the pendulum swings to where we emphasize athleticism to the point where we end up being one of those teams that are all hustle / intensity, but suck at executing a cohesive offensive concept.

But on the other hand, Autry is a former lead guard who played professionally, so hopefully he doesn't just roll the ball out like that no-trick pony at uconn.
College basketball is becoming like college football. Spread it out, make the field as big as possible, give best players space. We like variety as fans but eventually they all converge to the right answer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom