We are falling in all RPI ratings which is no biggy but | Syracusefan.com

We are falling in all RPI ratings which is no biggy but

Jack Hall

All Conference
Acc is weak overall, very weak. If we win acc can we expect the number one seed in East? At the beginning of season i assumed so, but now not convinced...

If we win the ACC the only way I see us losing the east is if Ohio st. has a monstrous B1G year

The individual RPI ranking has very little impact on seeding. Don't get too worked up over the specific ranking, it all comes down to winning the league and/or conf tournament. Do that and the tournament placement will take care of itself.

The individual RPI ranking has very little impact on seeding. Don't get too worked up over the specific ranking, it all comes down to winning the league and/or conf tournament. Do that and the tournament placement will take care of itself.
Not every winner out of big ten, big twelve, pac ten, sec , aac or big east, and acc can get a number one seed. Rpi is part of the equation in determing which if those winners gets the one. But i guess if we win acc we at worst case scenario could get a 2 and stay in east?

Not every winner out of big ten, big twelve, pac ten, sec , aac or big east, and acc can get a number one seed. Rpi is part of the equation in determing which if those winners gets the one. But i guess if we win acc we at worst case scenario could get a 2 and stay in east?

I guess what I mean is your RPI is what it is at the end of the year, and it's more a reflection of who you played and how many games you've won. The selection committee ranks teams based upon complete resumes, not necessarily what the RPI ranking is (however, #1 seeds should all have pretty high RPIs due to the nature of the formula).

If the end goal is to have a favorable regional placement, it all comes down to winning games. If you don't have one of the best 2 or 3 resumes at the end of the year, it's going to be a crap-shoot as to where you're placed.

I guess what I mean is your RPI is what it is at the end of the year, and it's more a reflection of who you played and how many games you've won. The selection committee ranks teams based upon complete resumes, not necessarily what the RPI ranking is (however, #1 seeds should all have pretty high RPIs due to the nature of the formula).

If the end goal is to have a favorable regional placement, it all comes down to winning games. If you don't have one of the best 2 or 3 resumes at the end of the year, it's going to be a crap-shoot as to where you're placed.
Agreed

If we win the ACC the only way I see us losing the east is if Ohio st. has a monstrous B1G year

The Midwest regional is in Indianapolis. Don't even think we are competing with them for seeding. If we go 15-3 in the ACC and make it to the semis, we should be set up pretty nice for a 1 or 2 in the east.

The Midwest regional is in Indianapolis. Don't even think we are competing with them for seeding. If we go 15-3 in the ACC and make it to the semis, we should be set up pretty nice for a 1 or 2 in the east.
Ahh, good call

Ahh, good call

Had to look that up. Honestly want nothing to do with OSU for as long as possible. But have to figure we are in the driver's seat for the East #1, Arizona for the West with Ohio State and Wisconsin fighting for the Midwest and Wichita getting plugged into the South if they go undefeated.

#1 seeds are based on top 50 wins and records, conference titles and "rep" of conference.

Certainly you will not likely see anybody outside of the top 10 in RPI competing for a 1 seed, but being top 4 in RPI is not that important for a one seed. If you do what is needed to be a #1 seed, you will be top 10 RPI.

I view RPI as merely a "you need to at least consider me for further analysis" number, especially for the bubble.

Where the weakness of the ACC could hurt is if we were a 3/4/5 seed type team and it could impact us one seed line... and make the difference between Buffalo or not. It could have mattered if we were in the ACC last year for example.

But our team appears to be a step above that level (despite yesterday)

Its not RPI that tends to come into play (directly anyway). League weakness impacts the number of top 50 wins you can have, so I guess it could impact our chance at a #1. It looks like the Big Ten and possibly the Big 12 will get the opportunity for most top 50 wins this year.

But if we continue to play well, we will have enough on our resume. It will not result in an inferior B12 team being seeded above us. But if we are basically very close, the top 50 could push those other conferneces ahead of us.

We win the ACC with no more than 4 losses and we are a #1 seed, most likely in the East. There's not even much to debate about is we accomplish that type if record.

If we do end up as a 2 seed, and top in the ACC. the east is a near certainty. It would take a stronger team in the east as #2 to dislodge us from that spot. Who could that be? Nova? Its doubtful - no top players in the East this year.

I don't see a BiG team getting a #1 seed in the East unless they are #1 in the polls for the last 5 weeks of the season. ACC winner will get #1 seed in the East if the team is in the top 4. The BiG would want the Midwest anyway.

We win the ACC with no more than 4 losses and we are a #1 seed, most likely in the East. There's not even much to debate about is we accomplish that type if record.

4 losses appears to be a very good line for the "safe" zone. The only risk of losing #1 in the east (and still being a #1) in that scenario is if Ohio St and Michigan St do the same in the B10. Unlikely.

Where the weakness of the ACC could hurt is if we were a 3/4/5 seed type team and it could impact us one seed line... and make the difference between Buffalo or not. It could have mattered if we were in the ACC last year for example.

But our team appears to be a step above that level (despite yesterday)
As long as we keep winning it doesn't matter how bad the ACC is. You're right if fall to a 5, it would matter. But for us to be a 5 at this point we'd have to collapse. We're 14-0. If we get a 5 seed we'll probably be 20-11 or around there.

EDIT: I lied, a 5 would be probaby be like 23-8 overall.

I don't see a BiG team getting a #1 seed in the East unless they are #1 in the polls for the last 5 weeks of the season. ACC winner will get #1 seed in the East if the team is in the top 4. The BiG would want the Midwest anyway.

Only plausible scenario I can find taking a #1 seed away from us in NYC.

Assume the committee rankings are as follows:

1. Arizona (Anaheim)
2. Ohio St (Indy)
3. Michigan St (New York City)
4. Syracuse (Memphis)

Michigan St as the #3 team has its preference over Memphis and New York City, and committee would assign it NYC. But if Wisconsin or Ohio St would be in that 3 spot, I think Memphis is about as close as NYC for either, so they would give them Memphis.

If there is a second BIG team ahead of us, as long as its not Michigan St we are safe for MSG..

4 losses appears to be a very good line for the "safe" zone. The only risk of losing #1 in the east (and still being a #1) in that scenario is if Ohio St and Michigan St do the same in the B10. Unlikely.
Well if we win the ACC it won't matter I wouldn't think. Couldn't see both MSU and OSU getting a 1 since only 1 can win the B10; unless they split the tourney and reg season and we only win 1.

As long as we keep winning it doesn't matter how bad the ACC is. You're right if fall to a 5, it would matter. But for us to be a 5 at this point we'd have to collapse. We're 14-0. If we get a 5 seed we'll probably be 20-11 or around there.

EDIT: I lied, a 5 would be probaby be like 23-8 overall.

The 4 seed would also likely be a disaster for people with tickets for Buffalo.

You were right in correcting yourself on the records.

I don't know if people remember last year, but every team fighting for the last #1 spot had some questionable games as the season ended. The difference between the worst #1 seed and the teams competing for the 3 seed line (and the teams that missed it) were not that big.

Well if we win the ACC it won't matter I wouldn't think. Couldn't see both MSU and OSU getting a 1 since only 1 can win the B10; unless they split the tourney and reg season and we only win 1.

You do not need to win your conference title to be a #1 if you conference is the clear #1 and provides enough quality wins that help your resume. I believe it has happened a few times the last 10 years. but I certainly know it happened once.

Just a few years ago, the Big East had 3 #1 seeds. So only two could win the conference titles.

We must not have any What losses. None. Split with Duke and finish either 1 in conference standings or win ACC tourny. MSG is ours.

Doesn't really matter how we get there. Just win.

unless Arizona has a collapse they will get the 1 in the west... if we win the acc we will get the 1 in the east ... and likely 2 big ten teams (out of Michigan St, Ohio St and Wisconsin) will get the other 2 #1 seeds ,,, Wichita st will likely get a 2 unless they win out in convincing fashion

Acc is weak overall, very weak. If we win acc can we expect the number one seed in East? At the beginning of season i assumed so, but now not convinced...

The ACC looked pretty strong yesterday.

unless Arizona has a collapse they will get the 1 in the west... if we win the acc we will get the 1 in the east ... and likely 2 big ten teams (out of Michigan St, Ohio St and Wisconsin) will get the other 2 #1 seeds ,,, Wichita st will likely get a 2 unless they win out in convincing fashion

Its too early to count out certain teams from building a #1 worthy resume. In particular the Big 12 champ. Whoever wins the conference will have many top 50 wins, and all the big players have some nice OOC wins.

But if teams like Florida, Nova only lose a couple of times in conference, they have a great shot as well.

I also think like last year the one seeds are going to have 5 or 6 losses, so anybody that has been merely good in the OOC in a major conference, and may already 2 or 3 losses can still recover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom