We have a small window to capitalize on the portal | Syracusefan.com

We have a small window to capitalize on the portal

FrancoPizza

2018 Iggy Leading Minutes Per Game Winner
With the 1 free transfer rule in place, we have the opportunity to snag higher profile players that are in a talent log jam at the factories. Once they're here they really can't go anywhere else (e.g. see Shrader). This is where we seem to be having more recent success and we really have to make these rules work for us in the next 1-2-3 years.

Why is this time sensitive? If you read the tea leaves it seems to be a matter of when not if they'll allow unlimited transfers without penalty. When this happens we'll lose the ability to retain good talent, rosters will become unrecognizable year after year, and it will be the final death knell of college football as we know it. We need to string together consecutive winning seasons and bowl appearances from here on out. The clock is ticking...

Cuse12

Starter
If the ncaa indeed does away with the sit out rule for the second transfer it’s essentially ruining the chance for more schools to be competitive. It again will just limit the high level talent to top 25 schools and become a pro league of sorts. That would really stink.

dollarbill44

Hall of Fame
tenor (8).gif

CbusCuse

Starter
If the ncaa indeed does away with the sit out rule for the second transfer it’s essentially ruining the chance for more schools to be competitive. It again will just limit the high level talent to top 25 schools and become a pro league of sorts. That would really stink.
Which obviously means that is what the NCAA will do.

CbusCuse

Starter
I kind of agree and I’ve been kind of thinking this as well. As much as I hate to lose Deuce and Carter, if we can get younger talented players to transfer in like Bellamy and Gould, maybe they can be pretty good players this coming year but then really solid players for another year or two after that before they’ve proved themselves worthy of a draft pick. If that happens we may actually have benefitted in the “trade”. I guess we will see.

For this to work you have to target talented current freshman or redshirted freshman that are stuck behind good talent and don’t want to wait to play.

David332

All Conference
With the 1 free transfer rule in place, we have the opportunity to snag higher profile players that are in a talent log jam at the factories. Once they're here they really can't go anywhere else (e.g. see Shrader). This is where we seem to be having more recent success and we really have to make these rules work for us in the next 1-2-3 years.

Why is this time sensitive? If you read the tea leaves it seems to be a matter of when not if they'll allow unlimited transfers without penalty. When this happens we'll lose the ability to retain good talent, rosters will become unrecognizable year after year, and it will be the final death knell of college football as we know it. We need to string together consecutive winning seasons and bowl appearances from here on out. The clock is ticking...
I can’t envision unlimited transfers, even the most pro player fans would be hard pressed to support that even though they probably would have to in order to be consistent. There are a lot of voices expressing how concerned they are about the direction of college football and I suspect that it will stabilize eventually.

SmilinBob

Living Legend
Come to Syracuse! We will develop you into a player the Top 10 and the NFL wants.

CbusCuse

Starter
I kind of agree and I’ve been kind of thinking this as well. As much as I hate to lose Deuce and Carter, if we can get younger talented players to transfer in like Bellamy and Gould, maybe they can be pretty good players this coming year but then really solid players for another year or two after that before they’ve proved themselves worthy of a draft pick. If that happens we may actually have benefitted in the “trade”. I guess we will see.

For this to work you have to target talented current freshman or redshirted freshman that are stuck behind good talent and don’t want to wait to play.
Not to mention if we grab young talented transfer players that haven't really seen the field yet we are likely paying them less in NIL. And since they can't transfer to another D1 without sitting they don't really have much of a NIL bargaining chip. I'm sure they may still get some future NIL to keep them happy but it probably wouldn't be nearly as much as us paying a proven talent that is testing his value in the portal.

Scooch

Living Legend

I don't think anyone in the game wants unlimited transfers (other than a subset of the players). I would be very surprised if that happened.

qdawgg

Night Biking Enthusiast
I can’t envision unlimited transfers, even the most pro player fans would be hard pressed to support that even though they probably would have to in order to be consistent. There are a lot of voices expressing how concerned they are about the direction of college football and I suspect that it will stabilize eventually.

The question the/a court is going to ask….. IMO

“Are normal (non-sport playing) students allowed to switch colleges each year if they choose. Do they have to sit out a year if they transfer?”

Now the difference is; football players can still transfer and they don’t have to sit out a year of college/classes. They just have to sit out a year of playing football. But I think what the court will ask is, why? What makes the college football player so different and unique that in a capitalist society (in theory) they are not given the same freedom of movement as other students or workers?

David332

All Conference
The question the/a court is going to ask….. IMO

“Are normal (non-sport playing) students allowed to switch colleges each year if they choose. Do they have to sit out a year if they transfer?”

Now the difference is; football players can still transfer and they don’t have to sit out a year of college/classes. They just have to sit out a year of playing football. But I think what the court will ask is, why? What makes the college football player so different and unique that in a capitalist society (in theory) they are not given the same freedom of movement as other students or workers?
I don’t see how the court is going to insist that football players be given the right to play football as if it’s some type of constitutional right; if they can be not allowed to play due to say, being
on academic probation, then they can also be made to sit out for transferring a certain amount of times.

Constant transferring is not conducive to the academic mission of the given schools as credits will continue to fall by the wayside, which is even worse than having a bad GPA.

In a sense transferring every year would allow the players to use the universities to play football and then just hop to a different one each season. Sorry, but don’t see the SCOTUS coming to the majority decision that this is their constitutional right given they’re not even actual employees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jowharf68

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom