We need Buddy's scholarship for next season | Syracusefan.com

We need Buddy's scholarship for next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

FRANKIEFAN

Hall of Fame
Hes going to be our best player for the next 2 years if Eli leaves. Hes my favorite player on the team.

Show him some respect JB. I know you don't want to do this because you don't want people thinking of him as a walk on.

Hes gonna be our best player and might even set NCAA records for 3 pointers will almost certainly get the school one. Our depth is awful and we've whiffed big time on recruits. It would also be one less guy we have to push out the door.

Feel bad for this team having to go to battle with no backups. None of Marek/JG3/BB s are suited to playing over 30 mins only Eli who is older and in his 4th season of NCAA ball is.

Over the years the last scholarship player on the roster has often ended up being very good and the guys we've turned away due to not having one more scholarship have also done well. Shouldn't even be a discussion and we should have a grad transfer center with that scholarship this year and Edwards redshirting with JBA.

It won’t matter cuz we still won’t have a Center and will suck for the foreseeable future, but the argument that Buddy should stay on scholarship is weak, at best. That scholarship should be used on somebody else. Jim is a millionaire. Whatever Jim would have to pay would be the equivalent of one of us deciding to upgrade our Burger King meal from a medium to a large.

It won’t matter cuz we still won’t have a Center and will suck for the foreseeable future, but the argument that Buddy should stay on scholarship is weak, at best. That scholarship should be used on somebody else. Jim is a millionaire. Whatever Jim would have to pay would be the equivalent of one of us deciding to upgrade our Burger King meal from a medium to a large.

Buddy would get free tuition because his dad is an employee. Room and board and books would cost.

Hes going to be our best player for the next 2 years if Eli leaves. Hes my favorite player on the team.

Show him some respect JB. I know you don't want to do this because you don't want people thinking of him as a walk on.

Hes gonna be our best player and might even set NCAA records for 3 pointers will almost certainly get the school one. Our depth is awful and we've whiffed big time on recruits. It would also be one less guy we have to push out the door.

Feel bad for this team having to go to battle with no backups. None of Marek/JG3/BB s are suited to playing over 30 mins only Eli who is older and in his 4th season of NCAA ball is.

Over the years the last scholarship player on the roster has often ended up being very good and the guys we've turned away due to not having one more scholarship have also done well. Shouldn't even be a discussion and we should have a grad transfer center with that scholarship this year and Edwards redshirting with JBA.

To you and post #3, I offer this sincerely, because that took courage:

I think it is hugely symbolic for Coach and may be for Buddy as well. Boeheim wants the world to see that Buddy DESERVES a place on the team. So, I understand why he has gone that route. But now that no one disputes this at all, it would be good to free up a space IF we could find anyone good to take it.

Symbolism means a lot to most people. The Boeheims are no exception.

I'm not sure about the center situation. I think both Edwards and JBA will make a jump. Maybe not next year. But the jump is coming. Both will be good players here.
they better make a jump or fans will be making the jump... let’s hope theirs comes first.

Available scholarships haven't been the problem, it's getting the right players here.

To that end, more scholarships never hurt; especially in the situation the team is in now where in only a couple guys are expected to depart.

To that end, more scholarships never hurt; especially in the situation the team is in now where in only a couple guys are expected to depart.

Lets say - just to be conversational - that Buddy goes off scholarship. Who would be a realistic target that would come to SU for 2020?

Lets say - just to be conversational - that Buddy goes off scholarship. Who would be a realistic target that would come to SU for 2020?

I don’t know. A warm body is a plus.

What a silly thread.

According to what I've read on here...

Hughes is leaving for the NBA
Marek is headed back to Europe
Carey is transferring
Washington is transferring
Braswell won't ever walk again

We won't have enough recruits to fill out all the available spots. ;)

What a silly thread.

According to what I've read on here...

Hughes is leaving for the NBA
Marek is headed back to Europe
Carey is transferring
Washington is transferring
Braswell won't ever walk again

We won't have enough recruits to fill out all the available spots. ;)
someone actually said Braswell won’t walk again?

We have a have

These are 2 grad transfer options for next year.
Right now we are already one scholarship over for next year.
So atleast 1 player on this year’s roster is gone for next year.
If we want another recruit for next year somebody else has to go or Buddy become a walk-on.

We have a have

These are 2 grad transfer options for next year.
Right now we are already one scholarship over for next year.
So atleast 1 player on this year’s roster is gone for next year.
If we want another recruit for next year somebody else has to go or Buddy become a walk-on.

so let’s assume that Hughes leaves early to give us the 13th scholarship. And let’s assume Tape wants to transfer to SU. Why would buddy give up his scholarship? Wouldn’t it be more likely that we will lose a player from our crowded backcourt to transfer?

so let’s assume that Hughes leaves early to give us the 13th scholarship. And let’s assume Tape wants to transfer to SU. Why would buddy give up his scholarship? Wouldn’t it be more likely that we will lose a player from our crowded backcourt to transfer?
So a current player wouldn’t have to leave.
JB can afford to make Buddy a walk-on.
This should be obvious.

So a current player wouldn’t have to leave.
JB can afford to make Buddy a walk-on.
This should be obvious.

I’m not sure I’m worried about a player who doesn’t play leaving.

I feel the likelihood of Buddy going off scholarship is <0%. Boeheim won’t do it, Buddy won’t do it. His team mates would never ask him to do it. It’s just a small percentage of this board is fixated on having a 14th player on a squad that never plays more than 9. Usually it’s 7 and this year it’s 6.

I’m not sure I’m worried about a player who doesn’t play leaving.

I feel the likelihood of Buddy going off scholarship is <0%. Boeheim won’t do it, Buddy won’t do it. His team mates would never ask him to do it. It’s just a small percentage of this board is fixated on having a 14th player on a squad that never plays more than 9. Usually it’s 7 and this year it’s 6.
Why can’t a player like Braswell contribute his Senior year like James Southerland was his.
If we pushed Southerland out early just because we needed a scholarship it screws us down the line.

I don’t get why Buddy being on scholarship matters. It’s not a shot at the kid at all. We all know he can play. If his dad can keep a player in the program instead of leaving just for cash that should be the first option.

Why can’t a player like Braswell contribute his Senior year like James Southerland was his.
If we pushed Southerland out early just because we needed a scholarship it screws us down the line.

I don’t get why Buddy being on scholarship matters. It’s not a shot at the kid at all. We all know he can play. If his dad can keep a player in the program instead of leaving just for cash that should be the first option.
At this point, if we are worried it would hurt Buddy's feelings, then that makes me sad for the Boeheims. He's definitely a D1 player. Giving up his scholarship to help the team without running a teammate off is not a bad thing. It's a great thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom