We need six wins this year | Syracusefan.com

We need six wins this year

People won't want to hear this (certainly not believe it), but this likely isn't going to be a year 3 pop, it's going to be year 4. He waited too long to do the bigger purge.

There will be more players that look like ACC players, but too many of them will still be too young/inexperienced.

2019, the schedule lines up, the players should be ready at all positions. I think that's the take off year. Another 4 win year wouldn't surprise me, or overly concern me. A 6 win year would thrill me.

People won't want to hear this (certainly not believe it), but this likely isn't going to be a year 3 pop, it's going to be year 4. He waited too long to do the bigger purge.

There will be more players that look like ACC players, but too many of them will still be too young/inexperienced.

2019, the schedule lines up, the players should be ready at all positions. I think that's the take off year. Another 4 win year wouldn't surprise me, or overly concern me. A 6 win year would thrill me.
^^^ this...

2019 schedule is definitely very good. Especially with looking at seniors this coming season etc. I still think they need to make a bowl game. That should be the minimum ask every year.

This year maybe to get six wins: WMU, UConn, Wagner, UNC/NC St split, @ Wake. Well...yeah six is gonna be tough.

I would agree with you, except for 3/4 of the season we looked like we were better than a 4 win team.

I would agree with you, except for 3/4 of the season we looked like we were better than a 4 win team.

There’s certainly a path. Don’t trip up against NSEWMU (I don’t think we will), take 4-5 Dome games, take 1-2 road games from the BC, Wake, Pitt peer group.

Just seems like we’ll have a lot of promising youth at key spots like WR and LB. They won’t be insta-ready. We’re building for that down the road though.

All is good, we just need to be patient. And consider who is saying that.

I just don’t want to hear any “6 wins or he’s a bust” talk. We’ve steadily improved; but we’re finally adjusting to ACC Atlantic play, talent-wise.

That first SS year was fools gold (NC State, Wake, BC, Maryland were all down). There’s good coaching throughout the league.

This year maybe to get six wins: WMU, UConn, Wagner, UNC/NC St split, @ Wake. Well...yeah six is gonna be tough.[/QUOTE]

No problem getting to six wins in 2018:
WMU - W (Offensive explosion to start season)
Wagner - W (Blowout city)
FSU - Toss-Up (Dome game w/new HC for the 'Noles)
UConn - W (Blowout city)
Clemson - L (Might be closer than you think)
Pitt - W (This one is for Narduzzi)
UNC - W (Big Dome win)
NCSt. - W (Our payback in the Dome)
Wake - W (Our payback for blowing 2nd half lead)
Louisville - W (No Lamar on Fri. Night in Dome)
ND - W (Cuse shocks ND at Yankee and payback for the 11/18/61 game)
BC - L (Eagles will be a tough game for a lot of teams)
(9 - 3 Regular Season)
BELIEVE!!!

We will six this year for sure. Both lines are going to be so much better. The seconday as well. LBs young but very talented. Big upgrade at RB. The MAJOR wildcard is at WR. We really need somebody to step up. Will it be The Butler, does Custis game finally catch up to his body, can Hendrix be our next Harrison, is MO more in the slot? If and its a big if our WRs step up we can play with anyone on our schedule. I love that we are deep at QB. In the event ED gets hurt Tommy Gun will be locked and loaded. Im predicting 7 wins and a solid bowl with lots of Dino hand wringing post season.

Agreed. We can get to 6 but I still think we’re a year away from take off.

Agree with overall in general. But with both lines, the QB, RB and S positions all coming back and year three of the system, a two-win upgrade is a pretty sobered mark. We just need to win all the non-ND OOC games to put us in position to be there.

Agree with overall in general. But with both lines, the QB, RB and S positions all coming back and year three of the system, a two-win upgrade is a pretty sobered mark. We just need to win all the non-ND OOC games to put us in position to be there.

Our best QB is also our best RB and tends not to make it through the season.

If Dungey's healthy, I'm with you.

If TD has to step in, I just hope he's as good during the game as people want him to be.

6 wins would be great. I think it can and will happen. We need to have our team stay healthy and we may even be able to get more than six.

I think that our over/under is about 6 wins.

I doubt we win more than 7, but I also doubt that we win less than 5.

IMHO, 6+ wins and Babers' seat stays cold. Less than 6 wins makes his seat hot (but he is staying until at least the '19 season).

2019 will either be the breakout year, or it will be the move on year.

I think that our over/under is about 6 wins.

I doubt we win more than 7, but I also doubt that we win less than 5.

IMHO, 6+ wins and Babers' seat stays cold. Less than 6 wins makes his seat hot (but he is staying until at least the '19 season).

2019 will either be the breakout year, or it will be the move on year.

Short of an absolute disaster both on and off the field, I don’t see the seat getting hot.

Even if we only win 3 or 4, I don’t see the point. We can’t keep changing coaches. This guy has a promising system, is recruiting well, and has already shown something with one of our best wins ever last year. Let him be. It can take time. A hot seat for THIS program at THIS point after only 3 years would be a joke.

Our best QB is also our best RB and tends not to make it through the season.

If Dungey's healthy, I'm with you.

If TD has to step in, I just hope he's as good during the game as people want him to be.

6 wins would be great. I think it can and will happen. We need to have our team stay healthy and we may even be able to get more than six.

More than fair...though with this year, the backup intrigues.

Short of an absolute disaster both on and off the field, I don’t see the seat getting hot.

Even if we only win 3 or 4, I don’t see the point. We can’t keep changing coaches. This guy has a promising system, is recruiting well, and has already shown something with one of our best wins ever last year. Let him be. It can take time. A hot seat for THIS program at THIS point after only 3 years would be a joke.
4-8, 4-8, 3-9/4-8 means that there is evidence that the system isn't "promising."

A 4th year w/ disappointing results would absolutely justify a pink slip, especially if we're snubbed in the draft again this year.

We should have won 5 games last year, you can’t lose to east bum ____ Tennessee. If you have the schedule we had, that game is an absolute must win. You can complain about the schedule being tough, injuries and then the resulting poor record - that is justifiable but I think 5 wins was attainable despite the schedule.

So I don’t think 4 is the bar, 5 is. Next year to me is another throw away year in a way. There’s a good chance we don’t make a bowl but the following year there has to be some obvious steps forward. If we’re still at 4-5 wins in 2019, throwing out the offensive stats as an indicator of progress is being blinded by the obvious.

I don’t think that’s going to happen but I’m also not blinded by the offensive records. Those records will be more meaningful when we are a winning program.

I'm giving HCDFB 5 years...I think 6 wins is tough in year 3 but as Chip said there is a path though. Our recruiting is better and the needle is moving in the right direction. We showed signs last year but ran out of players and had a few bad breaks. No corners have been turned yet though. To be clear though Nick Saban is not walking though our door either...I think continued patience is required...I have seen enough of Dino to patiently give him 5 years. If the right progress has not happened by the end of that season, then AD JW can do what he needs to.

I'm giving HCDFB 5 years...I think 6 wins is tough in year 3 but as Chip said there is a path though. Our recruiting is better and the needle is moving in the right direction. We showed signs last year but ran out of players and had a few bad breaks. No corners have been turned yet though. To be clear though Nick Saban is not walking though our door either...I think continued patience is required...I have seen enough of Dino to patiently give him 5 years. If the right progress has not happened by the end of that season, then AD JW can do what he needs to.

My thoughts as well, that I didn’t convey quite as well.

This is a team with limited margin for error or injury. A young (though talented) team and ED give us, at best, a tenuous hold on six wins. I think we have just as likely a chance of hitting 4 as 8. Agree that another 4 win season shouldn't drive a call for change, but it will complicate Dino' s ability to do what I would think he wants with the 2019 and 2020 classes. We need some wins to validate the locker room pep talk vids. I love Dino, his vision, and his intangibles. But by his own definition, how much faith (the belief without evidence" kind) must we have?

That being said I'm bullish on this year. :)

Who's house?!?!

I'm cautiously optimistic about this year and think 6+ wins is doable. I think Dungey (finally!) stays healthy for an entire season, oline one year older, lots of young talent at WR, potential 1st rounder on the dline (Slayton). Schedule is looking much easier than last year's too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom