We need to develop new rivalries.

blust2i3d4

Starter
Duke should be our new Georgetown.
Virginia should be our new UConn.
UNC should be our new Pitt.
Pitt should be our new St. Johns.
Louisville is still old Louisville.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but we only own a winning record vs one of those ACC programs (Pitt).

Need to do a better job winning more consistently vs the others. We’ve been doing better vs UNC lately.

Admittedly I thought the UL rivalry would enter new heights but Rick did Rick things and we’ve had a slight downturn since 2014.

Would like Duke/UL to be our main rivalries to establish once we refamiliarize ourselves with the top 25.

As with any true rivalries, they are borne by the level of competitiveness in the games regularly played between them. And, most importantly, where both teams win their fair share, not being lopsided one way. In the case of UNC & UVA, until we are able to do this/have that type of success (even things out so to speak) their fan bases won't view us as rivals.

Last edited:
Not gonna happen until we become more competitive against them. Rivalries are not a one way street and I doubt if any of them consider us to be "rivals".

I still think that Louisville is the best "fit" as a rival within the ACC. We have a good history of some very tough games coming into it from the NBE, the programs are of roughly equal stature (like both elite but not blue blood level), and neither has a real natural rival in the ACC. I don't consider Pitt or BC to be true rivals.

I still think that Louisville is the best "fit" as a rival within the ACC. We have a good history of some very tough games coming into it from the NBE, the programs are of roughly equal stature (like both elite but not blue blood level), and neither has a real natural rival in the ACC. I don't consider Pitt or BC to be true rivals.

Interesting sentiment of yours relative to Pitt. I get BC, since we have had our way consistently with them, for the most part, dating back to the BE days. However, not at all in regards to Pitt. It's what made me, and I think many others here as well, strongly dislike Pitt so much during the Dixon and Howland eras. They got the better of us more times than not during our regular match-ups.

Pitt’s a rivalry because they’re pitt. They’ve always been a thorn in our sides. Whether it was our top teams inability to win at the Pete or our current teams slip ups against horrid pitt squads. Just a thorn.

Rivalries seem to rely on fairly close geographical proximity, across many sports. There have been some exceptions, like 80's lakers/Celtics, and Yankees/Dodgers. But even those faded when the teams did.

I don’t think we will have rivalries that match Georgetown or UConn in the ACC. Even when we return to a higher level of play. Geography, recruiting battles, traditions just don’t line up with the ACC teams.
Exactly.

We battled the original BE teams for supremacy in the northeast.
And there were such great personalities.

G-town was most hated because of the history and personalities involved.
UConn because of its success (and from personal observation, I think many of their fans are awful).
SJU: a rival for supremacy in all of New York State.
Pitt: a banging style that made every game a war.
Louisville: Their hugely successful coach basically owned his mentor.

It all made the old Big East the best conference ever.

Syracuse is not a geographic or cultural fit in the ACC.
Never will be.
And there will never be a big rival unless there's some outlandish incident that spawns it.
Pitt...a third rate rival...may have to do.

Duke?
Really?
The whole college hoops world hates them.
It's Duke - UNC and always will be.
All the attention some Orange fans pay to them makes us sound weak.
They're just another team.
Let's just beat them.

Rivalries seem to rely on fairly close geographical proximity, across many sports. There have been some exceptions, like 80's lakers/Celtics, and Yankees/Dodgers. But even those faded when the teams did.
"Exceptions" like the Yankees in the Bronx and the Brooklyn Dodgers? Except for the 77/78 series, there is no rivalry between the LA Dodgers & the Yanks.

You have one OP and it's Clemson. That should be enough...

Duke will never be our Georgetown. UNC is theirs.

Rivalries have to happen organically. We need to be good and give other teams a reason to not like us.

How about: We need to play our rivals yearly. Uconn and Georgetown. We don't need to go hunting for new ones. The ACC is/was a money grab. With money grabs you end up distorting the intangible things of sport. one of which is the rivalries that were born out of an era when the big east teams needed each other to survive.

How about: We need to play our rivals yearly. Uconn and Georgetown. We don't need to go hunting for new ones. The ACC is/was a money grab. With money grabs you end up distorting the intangible things of sport. one of which is the rivalries that were born out of an era when the big east teams needed each other to survive.
I could see it, if we get our level of play back to where it should be and they raise theirs to where it used to be. I don't think that'll happen though.

Our pest chance at a rival in both sports is probably Pitt due to history and proximity. Pitt no longer having annual games with WVU or Penn St leaves a rivalry hole for them.

Agreed. We beat them in the Ville in 2013 when they were #1. And we faced off with them in the Big East tourney Finals in both 2009 and 2013. Man, I wish we’d beaten Michigan in the 2013 Final Four (that Triche charging call..argh) and gotten a crack at Louisville for the national title.

I don’t think we will have rivalries that match Georgetown or UConn in the ACC. Even when we return to a higher level of play. Geography, recruiting battles, traditions just don’t line up with the ACC teams.
I don’t agree. I think we’ve gotten the rivalry cooking a bit with Duke. We’ve beat them at Cameron a few times (most other ACC teams have struggled there), we had the incredible 2014 games when we joined the conference, the Gillon buzzer beater at the Dome, and the Tyus Battle-led OT upset when they were #1 with Zion. I think we can become a secondary rivalry to them (after UNC) similar to what they used to have with Maryland. I think the North vs South and old vs new ACC element can also stoke it. Old-school Big East fans like myself hated the ACC, so it feels like we’re ripe for that rivalry still taking off, once we right the ship and get back to regular top 25 finishes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom