We need to develop new rivalries. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We need to develop new rivalries.

Duke is our new Rival
It's one sided, thus not really a rivalry.

I'm a Pats fan, and just about every other team hates the Pats. But we only have actual rivalries with a handful of teams, because those are the ones we fans actually care about.

SU's problem is that both the hoops and football programs slipped when we got into the ACC. You can't build new rivalries unless the games have stakes. And ours have largely not.

If hoops could get back to being a perennial top 3 team in the conference, we'd develop some rivalries quickly. We wouldn't be anyone's #1 rival (except for maybe Pitt) but that's OK, our opponents can have multiple rivals while still having one that tops the list that's not SU.

I'm a Pats fan, and just about every other team hates the Pats. But we only have actual rivalries with a handful of teams, because those are the ones we fans actually care about.

SU's problem is that both the hoops and football programs slipped when we got into the ACC. You can't build new rivalries unless the games have stakes. And ours have largely not.

If hoops could get back to being a perennial top 3 team in the conference, we'd develop some rivalries quickly. We wouldn't be anyone's #1 rival (except for maybe Pitt) but that's OK, our opponents can have multiple rivals while still having one that tops the list that's not SU.
i think sports are moving in a way where rivalries are going to be a stranger bedfellow to how things evolve. programs don't have recognizable players anymore and once K and Boeheim are gone, the coaches will end up even more transactional.

the old big east you can rattle off the coaches for the most part. I think that part will go by the wayside especially for us. We have had something special with one guy coaching for 45 years. that presence is built upon and a legacy grows.

Pats have beef with almost everyone if they hate us its mutual and the division was too pathetic to count for too long. Post Brady mgiht be different.

1. ARIZONA CARDINALS - No beef

2. ATLANTA FALCONS - Still bitter about 28-3 as much of an AFC-NFC rival as you can get

4. BUFFALO BILLS - Divisional Rival

3. BALTIMORE RAVENS - Hated franchise that has actually won a playoff game in Foxboro

5. CAROLINA PANTHERS - Beat them in the Super Bowl

7. CINCINNATI BENGALS - Maybe the only AFC team we don't have any juice with

8. CLEVELAND BROWNS - BB connections

6. CHICAGO BEARS - No rival

9. DALLAS COWBOYS - Other Americas team

10. DENVER BRONCOS - We never get to play them in the playoffs not at Mile High. Theres a rivalry.

11. DETROIT LIONS - No rival

12. GREEN BAY PACKERS - Played a Super Bowl against

13. HOUSTON TEXANS - We seem to play them every year I bet they'd consider us more of a rival than teams in their divisoin

14. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS - One of the NFLs hottest rivalries even after Payton

16. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS - Last true rival of Brady era

17. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS - You don't dissrespect Shawn Merriman and do his dance. They were a rival

18. LOS ANGELES RAMS - 2 Super Bowls lost to us. We are their #1 rival

15. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS - Ended EVERY good season in their franchises history. We are their #1 rival

19. MIAMI DOLPHINS - They probably list us as their main rival

20. MINNESOTA VIKINGS - Nothing

22. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - Nothing

23. NEW YORK GIANTS - What do you think?

24. NEW YORK JETS - Clear rivalry

25. OAKLAND RAIDERS - We are their most hated team by far after the tuck rule. They are still bitter. That team was good shocked they got smoked the next year by Tampa

26. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES - 2 Super Bowls

28. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS - Nothing but thats TB12s team

29. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - Of course thats as much of a AFC-NFC rival

27. PITTSBURGH STEELERS - We are their #1 rival

30. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS - 12 months ago this franchise wasnt a rival but it is now

31. TENNESSEE TITANS - Ended Brady era we've seen them a good amount recent they'd consider us one

32. WASHINGTON REDSKINS - No

Pats have beef with almost everyone if they hate us its mutual and the division was too pathetic to count for too long. Post Brady mgiht be different.

2. ATLANTA FALCONS - Still bitter about 28-3 as much of an AFC-NFC rival as you can get

3. BALTIMORE RAVENS - Hated franchise that has actually won a playoff game in Foxboro

10. DENVER BRONCOS - We never get to play them in the playoffs not at Mile High. Theres a rivalry.

13. HOUSTON TEXANS - We seem to play them every year I bet they'd consider us more of a rival than teams in their divisoin

17. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS - You don't dissrespect Shawn Merriman and do his dance. They were a rival

15. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS - Ended EVERY good season in their franchises history. We are their #1 rival

25. OAKLAND RAIDERS - We are their most hated team by far after the tuck rule. They are still bitter. That team was good shocked they got smoked the next year by Tampa

30. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS - 12 months ago this franchise wasnt a rival but it is now

31. TENNESSEE TITANS - Ended Brady era we've seen them a good amount recent they'd consider us one

Lol I disagree with almost all of these. Pats-Jets isn't a rivalry. Pats-Bills isn't a rivalry. The Bucs definitely aren't rivals. The Steelers main rival is the Ravens. Since Peyton left the Colts definitely aren't a rivalry. The Giants beat us twice in SBs but I have no ill will towards them. A lot of teams hate us but actual rivals?

As a Pats fan I'd probably say KC, Baltimore, Pittsburgh are the closest thing we have to rivals. But it's only because they're good.

If we want SU to have rivals again, like everyone else said, we need to finish top 3 in the ACC on a yearly basis. Make other teams hate us.

Bills are the Phins main rivalry as far as I’m concerned.

Also, you’re 2-3 in your last 5 vs the Phins.

We don't need to finish in the top 3 or top 5 every year, just most... and in the other years we need to either deal an ACCT or late season loss (or put a big scare into) our potential rivals.

The reason it would be hard to reanimate the Georgetown or UConn rivalries is that the stakes won't be high enough. You need to be able to inflict a certain amount of pain, and older alums caring a lot won't be enough to make the kids feel like it's a huge rivalry.

Yet SU-G'Town breaks all of the conventions of your typical rivalry. That's the beauty of it. IIRC, G'Town was nothing to us until the Manley fiasco. Then, we played them the following week in the 1st BE Tourney & lost to them in 2OT. Then we lost to them like 3 or 4 more times to the point that we called it the "Hoya Hex". Then Ewing came, then Pearl came, we started to win a few here and there, and it went on from there... So here we have an example of a rivalry that started organically, was not geographically driven, and was completely one-sided at its inception. The exact opposite of the characteristics that breed most rivalries...

Lol I disagree with almost all of these. Pats-Jets isn't a rivalry. Pats-Bills isn't a rivalry. The Bucs definitely aren't rivals. The Steelers main rival is the Ravens. Since Peyton left the Colts definitely aren't a rivalry. The Giants beat us twice in SBs but I have no ill will towards them. A lot of teams hate us but actual rivals?

As a Pats fan I'd probably say KC, Baltimore, Pittsburgh are the closest thing we have to rivals. But it's only because they're good.

If we want SU to have rivals again, like everyone else said, we need to finish top 3 in the ACC on a yearly basis. Make other teams hate us.
Jets-Pats is a rivalry. I hate losing to that team no matter if we are or they are good/bad.

Plus Belichick/Parcells back and forth and the teams have been rivals no matter what since the AFL.

All the AFC West and NFC East teams hate each other no matter how good or bad they are.

Pats rivals were Peyton Manning Indy/Denver, Baltimore and NY Jets.

Duke should be our new Georgetown.
Virginia should be our new UConn.
UNC should be our new Pitt.
Pitt should be our new St. Johns.
Louisville is still old Louisville.
Unless Tobacco Road becomes an interstate UNC and duke won’t be rivals.

We are stuck with BC and Pitt geographically. :vomit:

Why??
Win and the rivalries will come. Periodt
My theory is that rivalries develop when losing to you effectively takes something away from the other team. The more important, the better. So taking away the tourney from WVU, in a year they thought they could go very far, coupled with the video of SU students singing "Take me home, Country Roads" is marvelous rivalry material. I don't think we are insignificant to WVU at the moment.

Course they ain't in our conference, so who knows when we will see them again.
Take an ACC title away from UVA, or a bid away from UNC, and yes, rivalries will come.

Unless Tobacco Road becomes an interstate UNC and duke won’t be rivals.

We are stuck with BC and Pitt geographically. :vomit:
I don’t think the geography has to matter, necessarily.

We were rivals with Georgetown and UConn primarily because we were clashing for BE Titles.(and obviously the Manley thing started it, but if one of the programs was terrible throughout the 80s, it wouldn’t have lasted).

My theory is that rivalries develop when losing to you effectively takes something away from the other team. The more important, the better. So taking away the tourney from WVU, in a year they thought they could go very far, coupled with the video of SU students singing "Take me home, Country Roads" is marvelous rivalry material. I don't think we are insignificant to WVU at the moment.

Course they ain't in our conference, so who knows when we will see them again.
Take an ACC title away from UVA, or a bid away from UNC, and yes, rivalries will come.
My point exactly. We took a F4 bid from a #1-seed UVA squad, but they've maintained a higher standard than us, so right now...no rivalry. If we'd have kept on beating them in meaningful games, we'd have the start of a nice rivalry right there.
If we take over the ACC and start beating the top dogs on a regular basis, the rivalries will come. You don't "develop" rivals, or pick and choose them. You take someone's heart a few times, or vice-versa, & then they become your rival. UConn was never a serious rival until they started challenging the top OBE dogs, and winning. That's the key.

Every should hate Dook more than enough to consider Dook a rival.

What ACC basketball needs is BC to hire a coach like Porter Moser, and then see all Syracuse vs. BC games go the wire. The entire northeast would become interested, making it the new Syracuse vs. Georgetown.

It’s 11PM EST/8PM PST...

...and Georgetown still sucks.

I respect and agree with what you are saying, but Georgetown is the rival.

everything else needs a rival.1 or something like that.

44cuse

Agreed. We beat them in the Ville in 2013 when they were #1. And we faced off with them in the Big East tourney Finals in both 2009 and 2013. Man, I wish we’d beaten Michigan in the 2013 Final Four (that Triche charging call..argh) and gotten a crack at Louisville for the national title.
I believe we were the only team in the country that could have kept LVille from cutting down the nets that year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom