We need to double Wheat's salary | Syracusefan.com

We need to double Wheat's salary

CIL

All Conference
He's the best recruiter we have had in the last 15 years. I would have loved to see what he could have done in the Midwest during our winning years.

Hopefully we can hold on to him for a while, because the combination of Ty and new facilities could be a good one.

He's the best recruiter we have had in the last 15 years. I would have loved to see what he could have done in the Midwest during our winning years.

Hopefully we can hold on to him for a while, because the combination of Ty and new facilities could be a good one.

Agreed, but it is hard to envision us hanging onto him if bigger programs come calling, now that he's establishing himself as an impact recruiter.

I have a very good friend who is a die hard Michigan [ugh] fan / season ticket holder, and the skuttlebutt from their fanbase about two years ago when we discussed Wheatley was that they wanted him back eventually, but were happy that he'd left the nest and was gaining coaching experience. Also that Michigan had a long tenured RB coach that they were happy with, but that Wheatley was seen as the guy who was the popular choice to eventually supplant him if he proved he had the coaching chops.

Regardless, glad he's on our team. And who knows: with a kid in HS, maybe he'd be more inclined to stay put for another few years.

I wouldn't say that Michigan is having problems in the area of recruiting, so at least that is a good thing. TW does need to be taken care off though. Espcially if he brings in Daniels, Edwards, Ebeneezer, and or Kamara down the road, or any combination of two or more of these guys.

Wheats son is also in HS and he may want to let him play it out here, as oppose to pull him. Hopefully, he likes it here. We certainly need to keep him!

Agreed, but it is hard to envision us hanging onto him if bigger programs come calling, now that he's establishing himself as an impact recruiter.

I have a very good friend who is a die hard Michigan [ugh] fan / season ticket holder, and the skuttlebutt from their fanbase about two years ago when we discussed Wheatley was that they wanted him back eventually, but were happy that he'd left the nest and was gaining coaching experience. Also that Michigan had a long tenured RB coach that they were happy with, but that Wheatley was seen as the guy who was the popular choice to eventually supplant him if he proved he had the coaching chops.

Regardless, glad he's on our team. And who knows: with a kid in HS, maybe he'd be more inclined to stay put for another few years.

*Yes Fred Jackson has been coaching running backs at UM for 21 years. He isn’t leaving anytime soon.

*Michigan currently has the #1 ranked class

*As I understand it Wheat is a God fearing family man with 5 childern and as you said has a kid in high school at FM. Don’t know their ages. I’d like to believe we can hang on to Wheat until his older boy graduates high school. Have also heard the Wheatley’s love the Syracuse area.

**And yes, we'll need to find him some more money.

I confess I was less than impressed when Wheatley's hiring was announced. They guy can flat-out recruit - how many times have we heard his name mentioned by a recruit as one of the primary reasons he chose Syracuse?

IMHO the jury is still out on Wheatley's abilities as a RB coach, only because he hasn't had a wealth of talent to work with at RB (other than Carter, and to a lesser extent, Bailey), or the OL, which has been a work in progress. Smith has been a somewhat of a pleasant surprise, but I would like to see one of the more recent RB recruits (Tyson-Gulley, Kobena, AAM, Smallwood, Morris, McFarlane) step up and raise his game to the next level.

IMHO the jury is still out on Wheatley's abilities as a RB coach, only because he hasn't had a wealth of talent to work with at RB (other than Carter, and to a lesser extent, Bailey), or the OL, which has been a work in progress. Smith has been a somewhat of a pleasant surprise, but I would like to see one of the more recent RB recruits (Tyson-Gulley, Kobena, AAM, Smallwood, Morris, McFarlane) step up and raise his game to the next level.

If TW couldn't coach, I think he would have been purged in the off season like Conley and Brumbaugh.

If TW couldn't coach, I think he would have been purged in the off season like Conley and Brumbaugh.
I don't want to start arguing hypothetical scenarios, but if I was HCDM, I would value Wheatley based only on his recruiting ability, regardless of his coaching ability.
From an outsider's perspective, Conley and Brumbaugh weren't particularly good recruiters, but Conley should be given credit for "coaching-up" Derrell Smith, Marquis Spruill, and Dyshawn Davis, and turning Hogue into an NFL draft pick in 2 years. Maybe the primary reason for his departure wasn't coaching ability.

I confess I was less than impressed when Wheatley's hiring was announced. They guy can flat-out recruit - how many times have we heard his name mentioned by a recruit as one of the primary reasons he chose Syracuse?

Smallwood isn't even coming here...we have had a 1,000 yard back every season he has been here, and I don't know if you've noticed but our OL is not filled with future draft picks...what more do you want? Smith to turn into Barry Sanders?

Smallwood isn't even coming here...we have had a 1,000 yard back every season he has been here, and I don't know if you've noticed but our OL is not filled with future draft picks...what more do you want? Smith to turn into Barry Sanders?
You're correct about Smallwood. I made mention of the issues with the OL, and acknowledged that Smith has been a pleasant surprise for a recruit that wasn't highly rated.

I didn't intend for my post to be construed as anti-Wheatley; to the contrary, I like him a lot. I would just like to see a RB he recruited be the next 1000 yard rusher. Time will tell.

*Yes Fred Jackson has been coaching running backs at UM for 21 years. He isn’t leaving anytime soon.

*As I understand it Wheat is a God fearing family man with 5 childern and as you said has a kid in high school at FM. Don’t know their ages. I’d like to believe we can hang on to Wheat until his older boy graduates high school. Have also heard the Wheatley’s love the Syracuse area.

TJ is a soph. The Wheatley's are full fledged CNYer's. How do I know, TJ was on the FM JV lax team this year.

What you mean "We

What you mean "WE"? kimosabe. If Gross loses him he blows the program OUT OF THE WATER.:eek:

I wouldn't say that Michigan is having problems in the area of recruiting, so at least that is a good thing. TW does need to be taken care off though. Espcially if he brings in Daniels, Edwards, Ebeneezer, and or Kamara down the road, or any combination of two or more of these guys.
He's not bringing in Kamara, we've been out of that for a while.

John Anselmo is recruiting Ebenezer and Gus Edwards.

The Wheatley's are full fledged CNYer's. How do I know, TJ was on the FM JV lax team this year.

hahahaha ... that brought a smile to my face, well played. :)

Should we start a collection at the Fine Lot? We can sell 2 dogs and a Yuengling for $10 bucks with all proceeds going to the Secure Ty Wheatley Fund. ;)

He's not bringing in Kamara, we've been out of that for a while.

John Anselmo is recruiting Ebenezer and Gus Edwards.

You are correct. I just read we actually pulled the offer on 5/24 from Kamara.

You are correct. I just read we actually pulled the offer on 5/24 from Kamara.
WHY WOULD WE "PULL THE OFFER" on the kid? If Laray was in the house ,I would dothat but he is not even close to saying yes to the Orangemen to my knowledge.:noidea:

WHY WOULD WE "PULL THE OFFER" on the kid? If Laray was in the house ,I would dothat but he is not even close to saying yes to the Orangemen to my knowledge.:noidea:
Because he isn't coming here regardless, Cali. It doesn't matter.

I wouldn't know, but accrding to a few sources out there, we either pulled or have given up on him.

• Alvin Kamara

247sports.com › RecruitsCached
    Alvin Kamara is still picking up offers as went enter the heat of summer, but he ... category: Just noticed Syracuse pulled its offer from 4-star RB Alvin Kamara, ... 5/ 24/2012: Alvin Kamara names Oregon as one of his top five schools via his ... Alvin Kamara weighed in at 196 pounds at the Atlanta Nike Football Training Camp ...

Should we start a collection at the Fine Lot? We can sell 2 dogs and a Yuengling for $10 bucks with all proceeds going to the Secure Ty Wheatley Fund. ;)
Next time I'm in Syracuse ,I'll make my contribution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom