We need to take advantage now. | Syracusefan.com

We need to take advantage now.

kcsu

Living Legend
Exposure is critical in recruiting. Its one differentiating factor that can elevate a program.
SU has a very rare and extremely valuable opportunity this year. If we take care of Liberty and Maryland we are heavy favorites to host Game Day. This is an opportunity that we have to close. Imagine Game Day followed up by the National game of the week and what if we actually upset Clemson. The value of that exposure would catapult SU to a level we havnt seen since Mac.
Lets hope the boys take care of business weeks one and two.

Close your eyes and visualize this. It's 75 and sunny in Syracuse. The Quad is packed as College GameDay is set up in front of Hendricks. Corso puts on Otto's head. The crowd roars.

You’re in the Carrier Dome. The Loud House is filled. The feeling is electric. The noise is deafening. You have a defense that's relentless. Lawrence is sacked nine times, picked off three times and wishes he was Tom Savage. You have an offense that does not huddle and is the fastest show on turf. Abdul and Moe each go for 100. Syracuse Smashmouth. Touchdown Tommy DeVito throws for 400 and lights the candle on his Heisman candidacy. Syracuse 44, Clemson 0. Storm the field.

Open your eyes. That's reality. That's Syracuse Football.

Completely agree, I think as many on here believe, from a development perspective our staff seems to be amongst the nations elite, that coupled with the ACC only having one dominant team currently (probably with us as the best chance to be the 2nd for this upcoming season), if we can take advantage these next few years and the FSU, Miami, Va Tech projects fail (or at least don't become national championship contenders again) the sky really is the limit. One thing I will say in terms of the recruiting, it's obviously a marathon and not a sprint but things can happen quickly, in terms of regional prospects it most definitely hurts us, it'd be nice to be near a football hotbed where location is basically the only reason certain schools get a high profile recruit but it's just not the case and especially when it comes to recruiting rankings that kills us so I've learned to not care about them especially when you're talking individual players, yet still value the content the recruiting sites provide to conclude my own opinions. To be frank the recruiting services are just not even on the planet in terms of projecting players compared to our staff that has a well thought out process for the specific kid, with football injuries are a very common factor of messing things up along with other factors too can slow progress.

With all that said, to push into the next tier of the college football world we are most definitely going to have to recruit better, so many players are willing to take the chance to wait their turn at big time programs and teams just stack up so they can pick and choose. Crucial decisions regarding the coaching staff will be very interesting to see over the next 5 years, we've all seen the coaching carousel and no I'm not talking about Dino. The assistants that are on the grind trying to better their professional position trying to establish themselves in the coaching world along with establishing relationships recruiting these kids to most likely be playing extremely far away from home, with our system and overall structure I don't think it'd be the worst thing to take some chances on someone that is an A+ recruiter with connections in the right places but needs some help developing his coaching ability which I believe Dino and the other coaches can really help in that regard.

Completely agree, I think as many on here believe, from a development perspective our staff seems to be amongst the nations elite, that coupled with the ACC only having one dominant team currently (probably with us as the best chance to be the 2nd for this upcoming season), if we can take advantage these next few years and the FSU, Miami, Va Tech projects fail (or at least don't become national championship contenders again) the sky really is the limit. One thing I will say in terms of the recruiting, it's obviously a marathon and not a sprint but things can happen quickly, in terms of regional prospects it most definitely hurts us, it'd be nice to be near a football hotbed where location is basically the only reason certain schools get a high profile recruit but it's just not the case and especially when it comes to recruiting rankings that kills us so I've learned to not care about them especially when you're talking individual players, yet still value the content the recruiting sites provide to conclude my own opinions. To be frank the recruiting services are just not even on the planet in terms of projecting players compared to our staff that has a well thought out process for the specific kid, with football injuries are a very common factor of messing things up along with other factors too can slow progress.

With all that said, to push into the next tier of the college football world we are most definitely going to have to recruit better, so many players are willing to take the chance to wait their turn at big time programs and teams just stack up so they can pick and choose. Crucial decisions regarding the coaching staff will be very interesting to see over the next 5 years, we've all seen the coaching carousel and no I'm not talking about Dino. The assistants that are on the grind trying to better their professional position trying to establish themselves in the coaching world along with establishing relationships recruiting these kids to most likely be playing extremely far away from home, with our system and overall structure I don't think it'd be the worst thing to take some chances on someone that is an A+ recruiter with connections in the right places but needs some help developing his coaching ability which I believe Dino and the other coaches can really help in that regard.
I have been to Waco, College station, Washington State, Iowa, Clemson, Durham, Alabama, and had 300 employees in Lansing Michigan. If we can continue to win 8 or so a year we will be back. Winning is the key to gaining positive exposure. Being ranked pre season is huge as we are in the national spotlight. Lets take care of business the first two games and seize the opportunity!

I hope that we are putting a huge emphasis on recruiting NJ.
With Rutgers and Uconn out of the way i would think the door is open. Pstate will always have their pick but we should be able to land our share.

This is the best Clemson team since Watson’s last year.

Reactions: CIL
Offensively they are going the best they have ever been.
Their defense is not going to be the same.
They lost 3 first round picks on the DL.
While they have talent coming up they won’t be as dominant on defense till later in the year.
Their offense is going to carry them early.

While they have talent coming up they won’t be as dominant on defense till later in the year.

There’s not a defense in the country that will slow us down imo. Theres an offense or two that we, 9 times out of 10, would struggle to keep up with.

Etienne and Lawrence are that offense. Guthrie bailed us out last year. Which linebacker is going to tirelessly keep up the pressure this year? They will wear down our line eventually, which linebackers will step up

Exposure is critical in recruiting. Its one differentiating factor that can elevate a program.
SU has a very rare and extremely valuable opportunity this year. If we take care of Liberty and Maryland we are heavy favorites to host Game Day. This is an opportunity that we have to close. Imagine Game Day followed up by the National game of the week and what if we actually upset Clemson. The value of that exposure would catapult SU to a level we havnt seen since Mac.
Lets hope the boys take care of business weeks one and two.
We have game day.

Close your eyes and visualize this. It's 75 and sunny in Syracuse. The Quad is packed as College GameDay is set up in front of Hendricks. Corso puts on Otto's head. The crowd roars.

You’re in the Carrier Dome. The Loud House is filled. The feeling is electric. The noise is deafening. You have a defense that's relentless. Lawrence is sacked nine times, picked off three times and wishes he was Tom Savage. You have an offense that does not huddle and is the fastest show on turf. Abdul and Moe each go for 100. Syracuse Smashmouth. Touchdown Tommy DeVito throws for 400 and lights the candle on his Heisman candidacy. Syracuse 44, Clemson 0. Storm the field.

Laff out Loud! Yes! So fantastic

There’s not a defense in the country that will slow us down imo. Theres an offense or two that we, 9 times out of 10, would struggle to keep up with.

Etienne and Lawrence are that offense. Guthrie bailed us out last year. Which linebacker is going to tirelessly keep up the pressure this year? They will wear down our line eventually, which linebackers will step up
We can go 5 deep at DE. Barry Johnathon Richards can all play.
If Grov, and Harper take a step forward that gives us 5 interior.
We are a solid 8 or more deep in the secondary. Scoop, Cordy, Stritz, Coley, Devon, Nune can all Ball. As to the LBs i want to see some of the young guns get some serious reps against Jerry's Cult and the Twerps.
The bottom line is we have exceptional depth on D.
On O i hope we snap the ball as fast as we ever have and force them to stack the box. Run them to death. If we can hang through 3 i really believe we can own the fourth. Bottom line is lets out physical them. Dont get cute dominate specials and put pretty boy on this arse everytime he throws.

Love your post!
I don't think any team holds this Clemson offense under 20 points.
I think there are very few who even have a prayer of a chance of doing it.
Thankfully, I believe we are one of those teams. Before anyone scoffs at that, remember we only gave up 24 in 2018 and 27 in 2019. There offense is better, but so is our defense. I see another game in the 20s, but it could easily be in the 30s to 40s as a shootout.

Have to remember how our backers were playing pass every down and after Pitt bam told us they changed it as I was banging my head against the screaming every defensive play for the backers to come forward. It improved a ton after the Pitt game.

DL yes. LBs and secondary should be better than last year.

DL yes. LBs and secondary should be better than last year.

So, in your opinion -- are Clemson fans more concerned about Texas A&M at home or Syracuse on the road?

Does your fanbase view the last two years as more flukey (QBs getting injured) or legitimate?

Just curious. Really hope we can make it a game and be in it in the fourth. But I fear Clemson may come out and put up a big number that our offense won't be able to get to with as many new pieces as we have (OL, QB).

So, I say this without any respect whatsoever to the idea from the OP. And I qualify it by pointing out up front that everyone wants to get higher rated recruits, ceteris paribus.

But I honestly believe that the only thing that matters is keeping Dino Babers at Syracuse. If we can do that for at least 3-5 more years--if not longer--then the overall talent base is going to continue to improve and we'll be a consistent top 25 presence, with the potential for something more.

If we lose Babers to a team like USC, then we'll watch from afar as he turns them into a perennial contender instead of seeing him do it here.

I'd like to believe that we'll start to see a couple of higher rated dominoes topple our way as we continue to win. It's inevitable. But I think the only relevant factor is Babers himself - and how long SU can retain him.

So, in your opinion -- are Clemson fans more concerned about Texas A&M at home or Syracuse on the road?

Does your fanbase view the last two years as more flukey (QBs getting injured) or legitimate?

Just curious. Really hope we can make it a game and be in it in the fourth. But I fear Clemson may come out and put up a big number that our offense won't be able to get to with as many new pieces as we have (OL, QB).
I think Syracuse. Seems our fans think Mond had quite a few lucky passes and playing two different QBs hurt us. Plus they have to play at Clemson.

A little of both it appears. Hurry up offenses seem to give our defenses trouble but it also never helps with QBs getting injured.

I think the game is going to be close like the last 2 seasons. Will be interesting to see Clemson's running game against a stout front seven from you guys. On the other side, how will a new QB fair against a brand new DL but experienced secondary. Could be quite a chess match.

The only thing I don't like about the game is that it's played so early. The conference knew going into the season that these were the best two teams, so it baffles me that they wouldn't want this game to be played in November. The conference will pretty much be settled after the third game...

So, I say this without any respect whatsoever to the idea from the OP. And I qualify it by pointing out up front that everyone wants to get higher rated recruits, ceteris paribus.

But I honestly believe that the only thing that matters is keeping Dino Babers at Syracuse. If we can do that for at least 3-5 more years--if not longer--then the overall talent base is going to continue to improve and we'll be a consistent top 25 presence, with the potential for something more.

If we lose Babers to a team like USC, then we'll watch from afar as he turns them into a perennial contender instead of seeing him do it here.

I'd like to believe that we'll start to see a couple of higher rated dominoes topple our way as we continue to win. It's inevitable. But I think the only relevant factor is Babers himself - and how long SU can retain him.

Agreed. This is a big year in a lot of ways.

I will say this though -- I'm not sure what more the University can do to show its commitment to building a winner.

From the IPF to the Dome reno to the uptick in season tickets to the new social media productions. The momentum is building.

Agreed. This is a big year in a lot of ways.

I will say this though -- I'm not sure what more the University can do to show its commitment to building a winner.

From the IPF to the Dome reno to the uptick in season tickets to the new social media productions. The momentum is building.
Yeah, I think both parties have come through.

Babers delivered a winner and it looks like now that things are rolling, that's what we can be for a while.

The University has seemingly provided everything that's needed to sustain success and even take it to a higher level.

Just comes down to how long Babers wants to see things through here.

One underrated thing Babers has done though - he's made this into a better job I think. We were kind of a fixer upper, he saw the potential, and did the reno. When the time comes that he leaves I have to believe we're more appealing than when he got here. Even if he leaves early, his buyout also helps.

Babers delivered a winner and it looks like now that things are rolling, that's what we can be for a while.

The University has seemingly provided everything that's needed to sustain success and even take it to a higher level.

One underrated thing Babers has done though - he's made this into a better job I think. We were kind of a fixer upper, he saw the potential, and did the reno. When the time comes that he leaves I have to believe we're more appealing than when he got here. Even if he leaves early, his buyout also helps.
Buy out Shmy out. We want Dino here!

Yep and that's still the biggest issue that will face the program over the next few years. It would be very difficult for him to turn down the USC job considering what they would offer and the location, IMO. I also think USC coach isn't very good and will be tough for him to retain his job long term. He's pretty much gotta win 10 games this year or he will probably get canned

Well, yes.

But a buyout in theory guarantees that funds are available to get an excellent coach.

We "know" that DB is signed through 2024 when the details of his new contract were tweeted out and then quickly deleted in December.

I am assuming that his buy out was also renegotiated. Hopefully, that figure did not go down.

The only thing I don't like about the game is that it's played so early. The conference knew going into the season that these were the best two teams, so it baffles me that they wouldn't want this game to be played in November. The conference will pretty much be settled after the third game...
I'm thinking that yes, the league knew these were the two best teams, and wanted to give the loser the chance to recover by running the table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom