we should go full air raid | Syracusefan.com

we should go full air raid

Millhouse

Living Legend
I wanted babers over all the other candidates and it became a joke about leach but I still prefer the old fashioned air raid.

we are 119th in passer rating
last year 119th
63rd in 2019 (big asterisk about any passer rating with devito taking terrible sacks instead of an incompletion that would hurt his passer rating)
77th in 18
104th in 17
50th in 16

it continues to be so stupid that the only real program with a dome can't find anyone to throw in it

kent state was 2nd last year
19th the year before that

what does roy wittke think about all this?

what does our recruiting base produce?
Either really inadequate Pass Blocking OL, Possession WR, or average QB.

Since I see kids from our recruiting areas who are excelling in the above mentioned positions, I'd say our biggest challenge is competent development and closing commitments from those players that Excel elsewhere.

This staff can identify good players. I've seen us lose head to head over and over again recruiting battles for kids on the OL and at QB who are starting and doing well at bigger schools and peer programs.

WR is definitely one though that we seem to miss nearly entirely. I cannot think of a WR Target we had that had much success elsewhere either other than Josh Palmer to Tennessee and Hassan Hall to Ville, who has been recruited over and is now in portal.

We also can't seem to find enough guys to throw to.

You need both pitchers and catchers.

This year was a void, especially after Taj left (and losing Hendrix). The class after that only had Courtney Jackson.

Last 2 classes have 4 pretty well recruited WRs (Alford, Hatcher, Gadsden, Jav. Williams), they need to take a step forward next year. Hope there's someone a little older sitting out in the transfer portal who can help take the pressure off them, but no clue.

The TE position remains a mystery.

Ground and pound option football with hopefully, a QB that can throw a forward pass. Thats the sweet spot.
I would argue the talent doesn't actually give you that. It's just the path of least resistance.

We aren't churning out road grader OL. There isn't anything special about the RBs from our recruiting area being better suited to "pound" than any other region.

The entire college football world can throw the football outside of the service academies and yet for some reason a school in CNY that's the only college program in a Dome can't.

It bottles the mind.

Our recruiting base doesn't produce air raid players. Shouldn't the O match the kids you can recruit?

This just isn’t true. some recent QBs off the top of my head, Coan (NY), O’Leary (NJ), Van Dyke (CT) and Veilleux (Ontario)…. Problem is our staff couldn’t land any of them.

There’s more than enough talent in New Jersey Pennsylvania Maryland to run with. The old driving radius.

I would argue the talent doesn't actually give you that. It's just the path of least resistance.

We aren't churning out road grader OL. There isn't anything special about the RBs from our recruiting area being better suited to "pound" than any other region.

The entire college football world can throw the football outside of the service academies and yet for some reason a school in CNY that's the only college program in a Dome can't.

It bottles the mind.

Look at the Northeastern schools. How many QBs and WRs have we seen the last 20 years combined from those schools that fit an air raid?

Heck even here when we were putting up major passing numbers in 2016 and 2017 they were mainly with kids outside the Northeastern. They were from Oregon, Florida, Florida, Georgia.

When you have a QB and WRs open things up (see 2012, 2017, 2018). But your base should be to run the ball.

This just isn’t true. some recent QBs off the top of my head, Coan (NY), O’Leary (NJ), Van Dyke (CT) and Veilleux (Ontario)…. Problem is our staff couldn’t land any of them.

There’s more than enough talent in New Jersey Pennsylvania Maryland to run with. The old driving radius.
1. We aren't getting the Northeast's Top QB.
2. Those guys mainly do not fit an air raid.

Kids in the Northeast do not play football year round like in Florida and Texas. If we want to go air raid we need to get QBs and WRs from those states.

Excellent post.

In many respects the easiest position to change and the one that makes the biggest difference is QB.
Its almost impossible to beat good teams with poor QB play.
This staff needs to either see significant improvement in Shraders ability to throw the ball or switch QBs. I hope they have learned from their experience with Tommy that it doesnt take very many games to determine what you have at QB.
I would go into the off season as Dino with my starting QB position wide open.

I wanted babers over all the other candidates and it became a joke about leach but I still prefer the old fashioned air raid.

we are 119th in passer rating
last year 119th
63rd in 2019 (big asterisk about any passer rating with devito taking terrible sacks instead of an incompletion that would hurt his passer rating)
77th in 18
104th in 17
50th in 16

it continues to be so stupid that the only real program with a dome can't find anyone to throw in it

kent state was 2nd last year
19th the year before that

what does roy wittke think about all this?
With Shrader?