We shouldn’t care who leaves as long as the staff reloads | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

We shouldn’t care who leaves as long as the staff reloads

A few thoughts:
  1. Kadary - I don't think he's going anywhere. The difference between him and other players that have left is that Kadary has actually shown that he can play at the ACC level. The way I could see him leave is if at his postseason sit down JB tells him things are going to stay the same. He doesn't deserve that. He's a better player than Joe. He was a much higher rated recruit than Joe. That the team is better with him on the floor is indisputable.
  2. Griffin - My gut says he will not be at SU next year. He still has an enormous ceiling but his PT decreased, deservedly so.
  3. We are still Syracuse. Some may whine about who leaves but I will say not one player going into the portal is irreplaceable, possibly even back out of the portal.
  4. We are not Pitt or Rhode Island! Both are losing their best guard, starters who averaged 14 and 18 respectively. SU isn't losing starters. Potential starters sometimes, but not an actual starter. That would be an eye opener for this program if it were to occur. If any of our guards were to leave I'd take Xavier Johnson in a heartbeat.
  5. Maybe a little roster shakeup would be good for this program. Seems like every other player's name on teams still in the tournament start with "former" or "transfer from". Gonzaga has probably led the country in incoming transfers for years. The genie is out of the bottle and we need to adapt. Getting a kid to sit for 1 or 2 years to earn PT is rare these days.
  6. The portal this year is nuts. So nuts that 2 4 7 set up a transfer portal just like they do for each recruiting class organized by their ranking coming out of high school. Lots and lots of names I recognize.

No I think he could enter the draft.
When is the G League draft? Sorry, not fair since I do like Q. But he's not an NBA prospect as a 6'6" power forward or as a no handle, no drive average shooting wing that isn't a lock down defender.

I bet you drive a free Kia, but still complain about how much you get paid.

No one should be feeling sorry that these college athletes have been isolated from even before and during the season. All I'm saying. Stop with these guys didnt have a college experience this year. They are scholarship athletes just play basketball.

What if:

April 2: Kadary enters the portal
April 5: Joe enters the portal
April 22: Dior Johnson reclassifies and recommit
June 8: Dior Johnson decommits again

What if:

April 2: Kadary enters the portal
April 5: Joe enters the portal
April 22: Dior Johnson reclassifies and recommit
June 8: Dior Johnson decommits again

It won't matter when the Martians invade.

1617046130876.png

I knew sending those probes up there was a bad idea.

No one should be feeling sorry that these college athletes have been isolated from even before and during the season. All I'm saying. Stop with these guys didnt have a college experience this year. They are scholarship athletes just play basketball.
Not sure if anyone feels sorry for them. The point is that if their on-court situation isn't satisfying to them, there's not much else to keep them here. If they'd connected with the people, the place, and the fans, they'd have other reasons to stick around.

Hypothetically, if Woody Newton stayed with the program, and changed his name to Woodrow Bayhime, how many minutes would he get next season? ;)

Even without the name change, he might be starting next year the way things are going.

Blackwell also said he’s heard that since the beginning of the season. And not for nothing, K did an interview early in the season and said he didn’t care if he started or came off the bench.
I always remember that interview with Kadary. He sounded pretty humble and super levelheaded and wouldn’t be the type to make a rash decision. My only fear is that this year sucked for all the kids because of Covid. I hope they can see the bigger picture and understand that next year’s college experience will be so much better for them. This was a crappy year for everyone but especially for college kids and college athletes.

I'm disappointed when good players leave, especially if they haven't lit the world on fire while they were here. Seeing unrealized potential walk out the door so often and having to get to know rosters that change so much has definitely reduced my interest.

I get it, the players have the right to do what they think is right for them and owe me nothing. At the same time, if I feel less of a connection to the team and the "product" is watered down, I don't owe the sport, players, or team anything either.

At the end of the day, it's entertainment.

That's why, about 20 years ago, I stopped getting mad when we lost games, and ruining the day for my family. It's just childish to care that much about sports.

Now, with hyper-charged roster turnover, we are literally rooting for laundry, as some comedian (Seinfeld?) said recently.

Now, another soccer plug - the typical roster is less than half the size of NFL rosters. They don't wear helmets and pads, so you can see who they are. Media access is less managed than it is with US sports. There is more continuity, year to year, even though coaches might change every 2 or 3 years, it's like baseball - you can't fire the whole team, so you fire the manager instead.

But you know your team's players, and most of the other teams' major players in your whole league (20 teams, not 30+ like major sports in the US).

Wow. Attendance has been about the same for the last 5 years.

Attendance
2015-16 21,592
2016-17 21,181
2017-18 21,462
2018-19 21,992
2019-20 21,704

Just can't resist taking another shot at the program, can you? Why are you even here?

Well, it used to be 25,000 when we were still good in the early 2010s.
So while we have been on the bubble, we have had consistent attendance.
But I think it's wearing thin on people.

during the past 3 weeks I’ve heard the following players may be looking elsewhere(portal or pro)...and by “heard” some it is from this board, some from other sources:
Woody
AG
Q
Kadary
Girard

You know what? I think some of these guys should talk to each other. Or the coaches should.

If Braswell KNEW that Quincy and Griffin and Woody would leave, do you think he still would have left?

If Kadary KNEW that Joe was considering leaving - with no guards currently in the class - why would he leave?

Good job not understanding the landscape of the transfer portal now.

It doesn’t matter if we lose 8 players as long as the coaching staff reloads the team.
Players aren’t going to be patient anymore.

This isn’t 1990’s or 2000’s anymore.

Kids want to move on where they can play.
I don’t care who goes as long as the staff brings in talent to win.

They might be a bit more patient if they saw a path to the floor, and consistent opportunities, and a clearly defined role, and got to occasionally play through their mistakes.

You know what? I think some of these guys should talk to each other. Or the coaches should.

If Braswell KNEW that Quincy and Griffin and Woody would leave, do you think he still would have left?

If Kadary KNEW that Joe was considering leaving - with no guards currently in the class - why would he leave?

What if they talked to each other but they don't know for sure because they may be head faked into jumping? Plus the thought that Benny may start one day one and rumors about Jimmy coming (and hard for many to believe he would come off the bench and not get a super long leash) may put lots of questions on the rotation of forwards.

What if they talked to each other but they don't know for sure because they may be head faked into jumping? Plus the thought that Benny may start one day one and rumors about Jimmy coming (and hard for many to believe he would come off the bench and not get a super long leash) may put lots of questions on the rotation of forwards.

You forget that a lot of these guys have become friends.
They aren't all opponents in a high stakes game of poker, with their sunglasses on so the others can't read their eyes.

Several programs, including SU, could possibly have 2 players both waiting to see if the other enters the Portal. Doubt all are being upfront with their plans.
Probably a lot of stress for players making this decision-
Wanting to get your name in the Portal ASAP to max your available options, but waiting to see if your road to PT opens by a teammate entering the Portal.

At the end of the day, it's entertainment.

That's why, about 20 years ago, I stopped getting mad when we lost games, and ruining the day for my family. It's just childish to care that much about sports.

Now, with hyper-charged roster turnover, we are literally rooting for laundry, as some comedian (Seinfeld?) said recently.

Now, another soccer plug - the typical roster is less than half the size of NFL rosters. They don't wear helmets and pads, so you can see who they are. Media access is less managed than it is with US sports. There is more continuity, year to year, even though coaches might change every 2 or 3 years, it's like baseball - you can't fire the whole team, so you fire the manager instead.

But you know your team's players, and most of the other teams' major players in your whole league (20 teams, not 30+ like major sports in the US).
Regarding the soccer stuff, none of that matters to me because I think that's a boring sport to watch.

I find myself shifting more to football. College has more stability even though I hate the facilities wars that give certain schools a huge advantage. Ultimately, I may end up being an NFL guy. For the most part, in the past I've watched it for the SU guys until the playoffs. That may shift for me.

Wow. Attendance has been about the same for the last 5 years.

Attendance
2015-16 21,592
2016-17 21,181
2017-18 21,462
2018-19 21,992
2019-20 21,704

Just can't resist taking another shot at the program, can you? Why are you even here?

They stopped pretending to use the turnstile count (which they allegedly did briefly under Mark Coyle) a couple years ago. Attendance has dropped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom