We talkin' DECIBELS man, DECIBELS! | Syracusefan.com

We talkin' DECIBELS man, DECIBELS!

From a Feb. 28, 2010 article about SU basketball's big win against No. 4 Villanova:

HOW MUCH NOISE CAN FANS GENERATE?

The crowd was loud from the moment people settled into their seats. A noise meter recorded regular decibels of 100 throughout the first half. When Kris Joseph flushed a dunk with 4:34 left in the first half to give Syracuse a 31-30 lead, the decibel level struck 115. That’s as loud as sandblasting or a rock concert. A military jet or a drag-racing car has decibel levels of 140.

So 115 dB's for 35,000 people. Hope the Post Standard uses a decibel meter on Saturday. If SU keeps the game competitive or wins it, it will eclipse that number by a lot.

I too would sacrifice your ears for a natty.
Could you imagine the mainstream media and all the factory school fan bases like Ohio state, Penn state and all of the sec reactions. There brains would short circuit. They would prolly pass new laws to prevent it from ever happening again lol.

( pertaining to us being in the national championship game)

Last edited:
Bring a DECIBEL meter. I often get about 115 with smaller crowds. Sometimes more. This one could be crazy.

I think the 150 db was figurative. Thats 18 dB louder than the Guiness world record for an indoor arena. Could we hit 132? (The record). Maybe. I think high 120's is very doable, for a great game, and good crowd.

Please note that 135 is twice as loud as 132... 138 is twice as loud as 135. (4 times the power of 132) 138 twice as loud as 135(8 times the power of 132)... and so on.

Would LOVE to see a 130 #. 120's are still INCREDIBLE. Michigan's highest is 110db. We do that in a half empty stadium afainst FCS opponents.

We're STUPID loud.

Prove it.

Bring back the LOUD HOUSE.

Bring a DECIBEL meter. I often get about 115 with smaller crowds. Sometimes more. This one could be crazy.

I think the 150 db was figurative. Thats 18 dB louder than the Guiness world record for an indoor arena. Could we hit 132? (The record). Maybe. I think high 120's is very doable, for a great game, and good crowd.

Please note that 135 is twice as loud as 132... 138 is twice as loud as 135. (4 times the power of 132) 138 twice as loud as 135(8 times the power of 132)... and so on.

Would LOVE to see a 130 #. 120's are still INCREDIBLE. Michigan's highest is 110db. We do that in a half empty stadium afainst FCS opponents.

We're STUPID loud.

Prove it.

Bring back the LOUD HOUSE.
Definitely hyperbolic, but the dome has been loud for decades, and with the new roof - they really could break records. In the Penn State game from 1987, the on-field reporter had a dB meter at the beginning of the game and said they'd be registering the volume all day. I need to go through the game and see if they ever went back to him on noise levels.

I swear I recall during the 1992 Miami-SU game, the on-field reporter saying the dB meter they had registered 140, or two jumbo jets taking off simultaneously (I believe when Dan Conley intercepted the ball early in the game). I will need to find that game and see if I can find that quote. Maybe I was just a very excited 15-year-old and misheard him.

Either way, hopefully, The Post-Standard does a dB meter story for this game, it will be interesting with the new roof. Just as long as the game doesn't go the way of the Clemson game in 2019.

Could you imagine the mainstream media and all the factory school fan bases like Ohio state, Penn state and all of the sec reactions. There brains would short circuit. They would prolly pass new laws to prevent it from ever happening again lol.
I find it hilarious looking at other forums (specifically southern teams) scoffing about the noise in the dome before the game, and then admitting afterward "yeah, it was really loud." It's not a slight to those schools and their amazing crowds to say 45,000 people in a drum are going to be louder than 90,000 outdoors. They get so worked up over it, it's kind of funny.

I attended an FSU-UF game, and the atmosphere and tailgating were amazing, but the volume was never anywhere close to what I've experienced in the dome.

People should definitely be bringing earplugs to this game.
This is literally no joke. After that Purdue game, my ears rang for two days like I had been to been to a concert. The old Dome never did that to me, even after Tennessee. I've already decided I'm going to bring them for NCST. It's the roof. If this place is full, and we play well, it may be damaging to old ears.

Definitely hyperbolic, but the dome has been loud for decades, and with the new roof - they really could break records. In the Penn State game from 1987, the on-field reporter had a dB meter at the beginning of the game and said they'd be registering the volume all day. I need to go through the game and see if they ever went back to him on noise levels.

I swear I recall during the 1992 Miami-SU game, the on-field reporter saying the dB meter they had registered 140, or two jumbo jets taking off simultaneously (I believe when Dan Conley intercepted the ball early in the game). I will need to find that game and see if I can find that quote. Maybe I was just a very excited 15-year-old and misheard him.

Either way, hopefully, The Post-Standard does a dB meter story for this game, it will be interesting with the new roof. Just as long as the game doesn't go the way of the Clemson game in 2019.
I tried finding that sideline reporter measuring 140db... Need the uncondensed game, i'm afraid. (Or i need to be more patient.)

Thats a Guiness World record. And not by a little. The current "record" is 8 times quieter. I have no doubt we can hit the 130's. The question is if the University will squander the opportunity, and fail to realize that fans and recruits would LOVE to know that we're the loudest stadium you will ever freakin' step in- or play in.

Should we be able the break the Guiness record for indoor? What an UTTER WASTE of an opportunity to say you are the BEST in the WORLD. Minus the $20 they'd save for a meter.

What recruit in their right mind, would want to come to Cuse knowing that THEIR effort could result in some of the loudest sounds EVER recorded on earth. No jacked up, testetone ridden beast would ever want THAT kind of power. Not a single one.

I get it. $20 is A LOT. Having someone forced to look at a meter's MAX reading from time to time- and then relay to a scoreboard operator? Its a Herculean task.

This is literally no joke. After that Purdue game, my ears rang for two days like I had been to been to a concert. The old Dome never did that to me, even after Tennessee. I've already decided I'm going to bring them for NCST. It's the roof. If this place is full, and we play well, it may be damaging to old ears.
It’s just as damaging to younger ears. The only difference is younger ears have more nerve cells to destroy.

Find it. Its a record. Not only the loudest indoor stadium, but the loudest college football stadium EVER. Sure. We can still beat the others, but that would be AWESOME to see.

Has anyone brought one in this year or planning to Saturday?

if yes tonthe former, What are they measuring?

15000 empty seats. With a better game, and the place packed? We should destroy this. (This is still top 10 EVER recorded. Its #7. Louder than Kyle field.)

The former Guiness record holder for an indoor stadium was 126db. (Sacremento Kings) THIS IS DOABLE.

20221012_140718.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed there are several sound apps for phones that do this. We dont need crazy accuracy but it would give us some baseline if people dont want to smuggle one in.. There are several at a discount on prime day today by the way

I find it hilarious looking at other forums (specifically southern teams) scoffing about the noise in the dome before the game, and then admitting afterward "yeah, it was really loud." It's not a slight to those schools and their amazing crowds to say 45,000 people in a drum are going to be louder than 90,000 outdoors. They get so worked up over it, it's kind of funny.

I attended an FSU-UF game, and the atmosphere and tailgating were amazing, but the volume was never anywhere close to what I've experienced in the dome.

Same thing Southern teams used to say about pre AC dome heat. "It's hot here, won't effect us" followed by first half cramping of said teams players

I noticed there are several sound apps for phones that do this. We dont need crazy accuracy but it would give us some baseline if people dont want to smuggle one in.. There are several at a discount on prime day today by the way
I didnt smuggle one in. Clear as day in my see through bag, right next to my ear plugs. Apps are guesses. Ok under 100db. A real $20 meter is FAR more accurate.

f you have hearing issues? (Me- just a little tinnitus). Its no different than a diabetic bringing a meter to measure blood sugar. Db meters are safety devices.

I’m assuming a Db reader has to be certified or something in order to make an entry valid for record purposes. It’s worth looking into.

I tried finding that sideline reporter measuring 140db... Need the uncondensed game, i'm afraid. (Or i need to be more patient.)

Thats a Guiness World record. And not by a little. The current "record" is 8 times quieter. I have no doubt we can hit the 130's. The question is if the University will squander the opportunity, and fail to realize that fans and recruits would LOVE to know that we're the loudest stadium you will ever freakin' step in- or play in.

Should we be able the break the Guiness record for indoor? What an UTTER WASTE of an opportunity to say you are the BEST in the WORLD. Minus the $20 they'd save for a meter.

What recruit in their right mind, would want to come to Cuse knowing that THEIR effort could result in some of the loudest sounds EVER recorded on earth. No jacked up, testetone ridden beast would ever want THAT kind of power. Not a single one.

I get it. $20 is A LOT. Having someone forced to look at a meter's MAX reading from time to time- and then relay to a scoreboard operator? Its a Herculean task.
Yep, I just went through the condensed game and found no mention of it. I'm pretty sure it was in the 4th quarter, but they cut through like six minutes, so it might be there. Now I'm going down rabbit holes looking for the full game! :rolleyes:

Has anyone brought one in this year or planning to Saturday?

if yes tonthe former, What are they measuring?
I brought one in for Purdue. Had a reading of 116 sometime during the 3rd quarter. Sort of forgot about it during the 4th when it was louder.

If anyone buys one to bring it in, just throw it in your wife’s clear bag and you won’t have an issue bringing it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom