Week 2 of season specific reminiscing -- 1993-94 | Syracusefan.com

Week 2 of season specific reminiscing -- 1993-94

Eric15

Living Legend
This was a very solid and consistent SU team coming out of probation. We were ranked between 21st and 13th the entire season -- never higher, never lower. Moten and Autry were both first-team All-Big East (this was when five and only five players made the all-Big East teams so it actually was an achievement).

My favorite memory was the home Big Monday win vs. UConn by far. Our seats were right next to the visiting players tunnel, and my friend dared me to throw a little chunk of jumbo pretzel at Donny Marshall as he ran by. So 12 year old me did it and got a tongue lashing from my Dad, but it was worth it.

The home Kentucky win was also a great day to be in the Dome. Did anyone here attend the Missouri Sweet 16 game in LA?

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 10.00.34 AM.png

Last edited:
Main memory is obviously Autry's amazing performance vs Missouri that almost carried us to victory. Those are also some pretty nice point totals we were putting up.

I don't have much memory of that Kentucky game as I believe that was one of the numerous games that the CBS affiliate in Atlanta pre-empted to show In the Heat of the Night reruns.

UConn, Kentucky, and Missouri are the 3 games that really stand out. Great, exciting, high scoring basketball games played with some tempo and pace.

For a long time, that 94 team could be looked at as pretty much your standard Syracuse basketball team. Top 20 all year long, near the top of the league, 4 seed, sweet 16, capable of beating anyone in the country, doesn’t lose often(less than 10 times), and when they do it’s pretty much always to another good team in a game that could go either way.

I remember the first round BET loss to Seton Hall as well. We looked strong early but failed to take over. The game got deep into overtime(multiple I think ). Our lineup to start the last overtime was something like moten, sims , Scott McCorkle , Lucious Jackson , and Charles Gellatt.

I remember storming the court after the Kentucky win...and mercilessly teasing a friend of ours who was a Kentucky fan afterward. I think we may have even baked his KU in the oven in a very drunk post-game party.
Pretty sure this is the year I got my picture with Dickie V. and got his autograph before he became unbearable. That Missouri game was a gut wrencher - I remember and amazing effort from Autry that was essentially wasted.

I've never enjoyed a season more than 1994, and I'm not sure the UConn Big Monday game isn't at least tied for my favorite regular season game ever.

It was a long weekend and I've got work to do, but my top memory from that one, inexplicably, is Wallace throwing down a fast break dunk (right after the win was sealed) that got waved off for a travel. That travel was a borderline call then, especially silly at that stage of the game, and wouldn't be a walk under any circumstance in today's game.

Those were fun times. It's exciting to root for an underdog that starts 5 guys with plus offensive skills who get the chance to play the best teams in America every week.

Also, I remember how horrible Tennessee was in the opener. If I remember correctly, Allen Houston had just graduated the previous spring, his dad was still the coach, and they were supposed to be a decent challenge in the opener.

Instead, Charlie Lockwood got minutes and hit a three.

This was the last season of the script uniforms (but without the orange on the sides) that have now been praised to a nearly mythical level. And get this: if memory serves, a lot of us thought they'd gotten stale and thought it was the coolest thing ever the next season when Nike brought us into the '90s with some modern uniforms for Moten's senior year.

Did we not have any preseason games that year? I remember one year we had exhibition games mid season, think it had to due with probation. I kinda remember being impressed how much we won by vs. Tenn having not played an exhibition.

Did we not have any preseason games that year? I remember one year we had exhibition games mid season, think it had to due with probation. I kinda remember being impressed how much we won by vs. Tenn having not played an exhibition.

I feel like we played Marathon Oil as an exhibition almost every year in the early-to-mid 90s.

Enjoy!

Wallace's travel is at 1:27:15 on here, btw. I double-dog-dare Cowtown or anyone else to spot it. Ted Valentine blew the whistle a little early there.

Also, the 24,000 people at this game sure took up a lot more space than the 29,000 who may or may not have bought or been given tickets to the Virginia game a couple months ago. LULZ.

I think this was the year we scheduled Puerto Rico and maybe Marathon at Manley in December because part of our NCAA punishment was not being allowed to start the season before a certain date. And then Puerto Rico was played before an empty building because we got a huge snow storm and there was a state of emergency declared.

Could be off on a couple of these particulars (season and opponent), but most of that definitely happened. And I'm with you on the memory of Tennessee being our first game action of the year.

I think this was the year we scheduled Puerto Rico and maybe Marathon at Manley in December because part of our NCAA punishment was not being allowed to start the season before a certain date. And then Puerto Rico was played before an empty building because we got a huge snow storm and there was a state of emergency declared.

Could be off on a couple of these particulars (season and opponent), but most of that definitely happened. And I'm with you on the memory of Tennessee being our first game action of the year.

I think I've earned an early happy hour today: No. 18 Syracuse 88, Puerto Rico 61

This was a fun season. Autry really took his game up a notch, and he and Moten could be unstoppable when they got rolling. Sophomore Wallace was pretty good, too.

Puzzling BET loss to Seton Hall. We got boned against Missouri.

I miss those days when we used to play a premier OOC game in the middle of the conference schedule -- those were a lot of fun.

This was a fun season. Autry really take his game up a notch, and he and Moten could be unstoppable when they got rolling.

Puzzling BET loss to Seton Hall. We got boned against Missouri.

One of our many "what if" years where (a) we met a really good team in the NCAAs a little earlier than we'd have liked (b) because we didn't quite get it done in the regular season and dropped a seed line and/or (back in the pre-pod bracketing days) got shipped out of our region.

Those Howard Eisley/Bill Curley BC teams were really good (I think this is the year they upset UNC and went to the regional final?), but they weren't so good that they should've swept us. And Seton Hall shouldn't have given us a game in the quarterfinal two weeks after we beat them by 25 in that "name the score" dunkfest at the Dome,

Win two of those, win the Big East semifinal and make a decent effort in the championship and we would have been 24-5 and a 2 seed, 3 at worst, in the East (looking it up, Nassau Coliseum and Miami Arena for the first two rounds, instead of Utah and Los Angeles).

Ah well, it was still a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Main memory is obviously Autry's amazing performance vs Missouri that almost carried us to victory. Those are also some pretty nice point totals we were putting up.

I don't have much memory of that Kentucky game as I believe that was one of the numerous games that the CBS affiliate in Atlanta pre-empted to show In the Heat of the Night reruns.

My primary memory from this season [in addition to beating UK and that 30 point second half from Autry against Missouri] is that my girlfriend at the time, who was from Long Island, bought us tickets to the away game at Seton Hall played at the Meadowlands as a Christmas present.

But there's more -- she also bought tickets for an NBA game at the Meadowlands. Our game was in the afternoon. Later that night, the Nets played against Golden State -- NJ featured Derrick Coleman, and the Warriors had rookie Billy Owens. Billy struggled, but DC had a great game [and looked to be actively trying to take it to his BFF].

Warriors vs. Nets - Box Score - January 22, 1994 - ESPN

So all in all, it was a fun day of SU-related hoops.

My primary memory from this season [in addition to beating UK and that 30 point second half from Autry against Missouri] is that my girlfriend at the time, who was from Long Island, bought us tickets to the away game at Seton Hall played at the Meadowlands as a Christmas present.

But there's more -- she also bought tickets for an NBA game at the Meadowlands. Our game was in the afternoon. Later that night, the Nets played against Golden State -- NJ featured Derrick Coleman, and the Warriors had rookie Billy Owens. Billy struggled, but DC had a great game [and looked to be actively trying to take it to his BFF].

Had a similar experience with in D.C. (though the NBA game didn't have SU players involved). Went to the afternoon SU-GTown game that Carmelo & Gerry won in overtime, then saw Michael Jordan and the Wizards play the Bulls. Jordan wasn't great, but it was a fun day all around.

I feel like we need closure on this story -- is she your wife now?

. . . but DC had a great game [and looked to be actively trying to take it to his BFF].
I saw DC play as a Sixer (Stackhouse era) against Rony and Sherman. He took it to Seikaly all night long and was clearly enjoying himself. After one particularly vicious throw down, I turned to my cousin and remarked, "Rony is scared of Coleman." Another time, returning to the court after a timeout, DC gave Douglas a playful shove that sent him about thirty feet down the court. A ref actually helped him up. Sherm just shook his head and laughed.

Last edited:
Wrong year , but I saw Hakim Warrick play for the grizzlies against the sixers on a Friday night with Syracuse nova on Saturday. Cuse was down 19 at half , cut it down to 4 in second half but ended up losing by double digits. Fun weekend in philly nonetheless.

Last edited:
I was visiting my brother in Hawaii. He took me to see the Kilauea volcano, asking his wife to tape the game for viewing when we got back. She got the timer screwed up and I never saw although I have watched the clips above. One great valiant efforts of all time. We lost OT games in 1992, 1994 and 1995, (probation in '93), then won the Georgia game in OT in 96 and wound up playing for all the marbles. It left me wondering what might have happened if those other games had gone our way. it's why i say each that you could play the NCAA tournament twice and have totally different results.

My most vivid memory is Autry hitting a shot from his knees that didn't against Missouri. Shortly after the season was over, Autry came into RXPlace across from Great Northern Mall (it doesn't exist anymore), where I was working for my afterschool job. I wasn't sure if I should say anything to him but ultimately decided to tell him he had a great game. He told me thanks, and my regret was that I didn't have anything with me that I could get autographed.

This was a very solid and consistent SU team coming out of probation. We were ranked between 21st and 13th the entire season -- never higher, never lower. Moten and Autry were both first-team All-Big East (this was when five and only five players made the all-Big East teams so it actually was an achievement).

My favorite memory was the home Big Monday win vs. UConn by far. Our seats were right next to the visiting players tunnel, and my friend dared me to throw a little chunk of jumbo pretzel at Donny Marshall as he ran by. So 12 year old me did it and got a tongue lashing from my Dad, but it was worth it.

The home Kentucky win was also a great day to be in the Dome. Did anyone here attend the Missouri Sweet 16 game in LA?

View attachment 165946

I heard the Kentucky game at work. The owner of the Lafayette IGA would turn the radio to SU sports events.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom