Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - Weekend Articles for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday Weekend Articles for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
hbdmrzip.jpeg

Welcome to Zip Code Day!

Before there was the ZIP code there were postal zones or postal districts. These were also numbers that helped mail carriers figure out where pieces of mail needed to go. They started in large European cities, like London.

By the early 1920s they’d spread around the world, including to the US. Most major cities were using some form of postal code by the end of World War II. Around that same time the idea of a Zone Improvement Project (ZIP) code was introduced in the US.
The ZIP plus two-letter state abbreviations was the brainchild of Henry Bentley Hahn, Sr., a postal inspector. And it was J. Edward Day, Postmaster General who made it a reality.

SU News

AJ_Duerig.0.0.JPG

Get To Know Your Orange Man - No. 62, C Andrejas Duerig (TNIAAM; Weinheimer)

Name: Andrejas Duerig
Position: Center
Year: (Redshirt) Freshman
Height: 6'3''
Weight: 320 lbs
Hometown: Lowell, Indiana
High School: Mount Carmel (Chicago, Illinois)
2015 Season: Duerig was a redshirt for the 2015 Syracuse Orange season.
2016 Projections: Andrejas isn't expected to be a starter just yet, but anything can happen on the offensive line. He is a player that is more than capable of stepping in and filling a void if needed. Duerig is a center, and could learn a lot from veteran Jason Emerich this season.
How'd He Get Here?: Attended Mount Carmel and played under coach Frank Lenti. Lenti also mentored Syracuse legend Donovan McNabb during his high school playing days. Duerig picked Syracuse over schools like Buffalo, Toledo, Austin Peay, and Western Michigan
What'd Recruiting Sites Say?: 3 stars on Scout, 2 stars on Rivals, and 3 stars on ESPN.

16930168-mmmain.jpg

Get to Know Your Orange Man - No. 63, OL Evan Adams (TNIAAM; Kropp)

Name: Evan Adams
Position: Offensive Line
Year: Redshirt Freshman
Height: 6'6''
Weight: 334
Hometown: Norwalk, Conn.
High School: Norwalk
2015 Season: Adams redshirted the 2015 season.
2016 Projections: He's listed second on the depth chart at right tackle, so he could see some playing time depending on how fall practice shakes out.
How'd He Get Here?: Adams chose Syracuse over offers from Maryland, UMass, and UConn.
What'd Recruiting Sites Say?: 3 stars from ESPN, Scout, Rivals, and 24/7.
Money Quote: Adams had this to say about Syracuse when asked why he committed to the Orange "[Syracuse] gave me a sense of home and also introduced me to a lot of people that would be able to help me out up there and [show me] how to be a better football player so I said you guys are giving me everything I could ever ask for so I might as well just come on down to Syracuse."

In the ACC, satellite camps didn't really change much (espn; Adelson)

The kerfuffle that erupted over satellite camps made for quite the number of angry words, thinly veiled subtweets and lines drawn between conferences.

But as camp season comes to an end to make way for football season, the hand wringing and hair pulling have stopped. Jim Harbaugh got all the publicity he craved as he hopscotched his way around the country.

In the ACC? Not much changed.

Given the opportunity to participate in satellite camps for the very first time, the ACC mostly shrugged its shoulders.

Troy Nunes Is An Absolute Podcast: Big 12 Season Preview (TNIAAM; Cassillo/Lyons)

Baylor? Who are they?

The Syracuse Orange football season -- and college football, in general -- is getting closer and closer. So while we cover everything about SU in writing here on the site, we're using the podcast to talk about the sport's other conferences (and eventually, the ACC too).

In this episode, John Cassillo is joined by Dan Lyons to preview the Big 12, round up recent SU football recruiting gains and of course, discuss beer. Some of the larger talking points:
  • Baylor? No, we're not talking about them at all...
  • A whole bunch of reasons why Syracuse recruiting is going so well
  • The case for Big 12 champs: Oklahoma vs. TCU
  • Arkansas is going to start 0-3 no matter who they play, so why bother scheduling?
  • Tom Herman's going to win the Big 12. This year. Just watch.
  • Debating the "should Ervin Philips be a running back?" thing we always like bring up
  • Want more beer? Follow John and Dan on Untappd!

2016 Notre Dame Schedule Preview: Syracuse (uhnd.com)

This might be the most poorly written and uninformed preview I have ever read...

Dino Baberse is inheriting a team that has a combined 7-17 record over the last two years as he enters his first season as the head coach of Syracus. That may make it seem like Syracuse will be one of the easiest games on the 2016 Notre Dame football schedule based on that record, but that may not actually be the case.

Dino Babers has shown an ability to win throughout his short four year career at Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green, and he is getting a young Syracuse team that showed some promise last year.

Closer Look at Syracuse’s 2015 Season
The Syracuse Orange were actually a lot better football team than their 4-8 record last year suggests. They had to play four ranked teams during a tough ACC schedule, and only lost one of these games by double digits. Anytime a young team is able to hang with Clemson, Florida State and LSU, you have to be impressed. The Syracuse Orange certainly will not be scared to play the Irish this fall.

Syracuse’s Young Offense
While he did not get much chance to throw the ball under coach Scott Shafer, quarterback Eric Dungey had a solid season as a freshman in 2015. He completed just under 60 percent of his passes with a total of 11 passing touchdowns. He was also able to add 351 yards and five touchdowns on the ground. If Dungey can adjust to Dino Baber’s, high tempo offense, then he should have no problem vastly improving those numbers in 2016.

In addition to a talented young quarterback, the Syracuse Orange also have a lot of talent at the running back position. Jordan Fredericks had to split time at the position last year, but he put up big numbers when he touched the ball. Fredericks averaged 5.9 yards from scrimmage last year, and he is also only entering his sophomore season.

Other

Throwback Friday: The Day The Music (Almost) Died in the Dome (PS; Croyle)

Country music "outlaw" Willie Nelson brought his "Texas Woodstock" event to the Carrier Dome on Saturday, July 2, 1983.

Modeled after the Willie Nelson Fourth of JulyPicnic he began in 1972, the concert was to be a nine hour event featuring Merle Haggard, Emmylou Harris, the Stray Cats, Linda Ronstadt, and, of course, Willie Nelson, himself.

Approximately 25,000 tickets were sold for the concert. High temperatures for the day were to be between 85 and 90, but Dome officials were confident that the air circulation system would keep the air moving inside the building.

Carrier Dome business manager David Skiles predicted, "We feel it will be quite pleasant."

It wasn't.

The next day's Herald American review began by declaring that the Texas Woodstock had become the Syracuse Sauna.

"I want this in the paper – it's too (deleted) hot in here," Patty Gallardo, of Buffalo, said.

Thank you for continuing Dans tradition. Love these reports. Zip code day has always been special as it signals the start of the fourth weekend. I have it highlighted on my calendar.

6 ACC schools finish in Top 25 of Director's Cup standings - ACCSports.com

The University of North Carolina led six ACC schools that finished in the Top 25 of the 2015-16 Learfield Director’s Cup standings. Joining the Tar Heels (No. 7) in the Top 25 are Virginia (No. 8), Notre Dame (No. 17), Syracuse (No. 21), Florida State (No. 22) and Duke (No. 24).

The Directors’ Cup measures NCAA postseason competitive success and awards points to a maximum of 10 men’s and 10 women’s programs per school.

Here is where each ACC school finished in this year’s standings:

7. North Carolina

8. Virginia

17. Notre Dame

21. Syracuse

22. Florida State

24. Duke

29. Louisville

32. NC State

38. Virginia Tech

40. Miami

42. Clemson

48. Boston College

68. Wake Forest

80. Georgia Tech

110. Pittsburgh

FSU has won two national championships under Wilcox, in football in 2013 and women’s soccer in 2014.
How cute. SU won two national championships this past year without an AD. ;)