Weird question | Syracusefan.com

Weird question

MadNY3

All American
Who know how to teach/coach man-to-man on this staff?

If the only addition is a DC-recruit first AC, are we going to be able to play a truly large portion of M2M?

As much I would love a healthy mix of M2M and zone a la the 90s, I’m wondering if we will play out get destroyed defensively next year no matter.

I would guess everyone on the staff spent most of their lives playing/coaching M2M outside of coaching under JB. Heck, Griff and Red played for JB before we were exclusively zone and the other coaches they coached under were likely M2M guys. I'm not worried.

Last edited:

If the only addition is a DC-recruit first AC, are we going to be able to play a truly large portion of M2M?

As much I would love a healthy mix of M2M and zone a la the 90s, I’m wondering if we will play out get destroyed defensively next year no matter.
Lots of books on Amazon to learn from.

MTM defense really comes down to emphasis, effort and athleticism. You drill one on one defense, then just work on switches and other wrinkles, like trapping. It's coached successfully at all levels of play, so it shouldn't be too difficult for the staff to be effective installing it as long as they put the needed emphasis on it.

It’s really not rocket science.

MTM defense really comes down to emphasis, effort and athleticism. You drill one on one defense, then just work on switches and other wrinkles, like trapping. It's coached successfully at all levels of play, so it shouldn't be too difficult for the staff to be effective installing it as long as they put the needed emphasis on it.
I agree, it’s starting to get frustrating with posters over & over asking if any of the SU coaches can coach man, of course they can. All of them can! There isn’t some secret, deeply hidden aspects of man to man defense. Instead, it’s going to come down to what form of man to man they’re going to go with… showing on screens, switching, packing the paint, help side, doubling, fronting the post, etc. As you said, the “wrinkles”… but c’mon people, of course they can coach man to man. Sheesh

I agree, it’s starting to get frustrating with posters over & over asking if any of the SU coaches can coach man, of course they can. All of them can! There isn’t some secret, deeply hidden aspects of man to man defense. Instead, it’s going to come down to what form of man to man they’re going to go with… showing on screens, switching, packing the paint, help side, doubling, fronting the post, etc. As you said, the “wrinkles”… but c’mon people, of course they can coach man to man. Sheesh
That’s like saying anyone who plays man can’t teach playing zone.

Red was an assistant at Va
Tech under Seth Greenberg, I'm sure they played zone

If teaching m2m is so "easy", then why why do some teams not play it well? And some coaches are known for teaching tough man? So is it not if they can teach but how well? That may be the actual question. That usually comes with experience, which the staff may not have a lot of, "teaching"man.

If teaching m2m is so "easy", then why why do some teams not play it well? And some coaches are known for teaching tough man? So is it not if they can teach but how well? That may be the actual question. That usually comes with experience, which the staff may not have a lot of, "teaching"man.
A lot of it comes down to philosophy of play, not simply the X's & O's of man defense. Take for instance Virginia, who's well known for their man defense. Their focus & philosophy of play is build on their defense, slow the pace of play, etc... guess what? They may be "good" at the defense, but it bogs down their offense significantly. Bennett chooses to play that way. It's not a matter of how good or poorly it's taught. It's a matter of what's the focus, how much time/energy/effort is put into it, if you're recruiting defensive guys who dig in over offensively skilled & so on.

I would guess everyone on the staff spent most of their lives playing/coaching M2M outside of coaching under JB. Heck, Griff and Red played for JB before we were exclusively zone and the other coaches they coached under were likely M2M guys. I'm not worried.
That was last century for Red, awhile ago for Griff. GMac probably never had to play defense. That’s what spurred the post…

It is complicated. It starts with match ups.
How to mitigate the other teams strengths. Doubles, play over or under screens depending on who has the ball. Helping like FDU did against the Purdue big. Taking away the lane. Pressuring or laying off. Forcing players off their strengths.
Again it starts with match ups.
Its actually very complex and is very specific based on each opponent.

Effort being key.

It's focus. You only have so much practice time to devote to each aspect of the game. Every minute spent on defense is a minute not spent on offense or inbounds plays. And some players are built more for defense than others and how and who you recruit impacts how well your team can play defense.

It is complicated. It starts with match ups.
How to mitigate the other teams strengths. Doubles, play over or under screens depending on who has the ball. Helping like FDU did against the Purdue big. Taking away the lane. Pressuring or laying off. Forcing players off their strengths.
Again it starts with match ups.
Its actually very complex and is very specific based on each opponent.
It can be as complicated as you want it to be, but you can still have a very good defense without being very complex. For example, the complexities you mention really aren't complex ideas. Forcing players off their strengths, taking away the lane, pressuring or laying off are all basic man to man tactics that can be seen in playground pickup games all around the world.
Switching is covered at any intermediate competitive level.
Heck, I was taught how to front a bigger player in the low post to deny the entry pass in a time out during a game when I was 12 years old.
It still comes down to coaching emphasis and player focus and dedication, just like every aspect of the game.

Man to man is effort and attitude

Everyone knows what it is and how it should work

Not everyone has the attitude for it.

Get our hands back into Philly, DC and Baltimore. Those kids know what it is.

It can be as complicated as you want it to be, but you can still have a very good defense without being very complex. For example, the complexities you mention really aren't complex ideas. Forcing players off their strengths, taking away the lane, pressuring or laying off are all basic man to man tactics that can be seen in playground pickup games all around the world.
Switching is covered at any intermediate competitive level.
Heck, I was taught how to front a bigger player in the low post to deny the entry pass in a time out during a game when I was 12 years old.
It still comes down to coaching emphasis and player focus and dedication, just like every aspect of the game.
And it comes down to scouting. When i played we had decent scouting but nothing like today. Almost every player has tendencies and if you know them and can make them uncomfortable thats key.
Joe for instance struggles against on ball pressure. Judah wants to drive, ect.. it sounds simple but its not and as others point out you have to want it. Watching FDU was a thing of beauty and man are those guys in great shape.
Its going to be fun next year. Lots to look forward to especially a new D.

Effort being key.

100%

This quote is from Cleveland Cavaliers head coach, J.B. Bickerstaff, from earlier in the season.

"If you want to win and win in this league at the level that we hope to, you can't do it if you don't guard. And defense comes down to the effort you're willing to put in. The second effort, the third effort, the fourth effort that you're willing to put in. And right now, we don't have enough guys that are putting in the second, third and fourth effort."

Whether it's the NBA, or at the highest college level, etc., no doubt, effort is first and foremost...period!

Cleveland has the number one defense in the league. In the end, the coach has to get his players to "buy in" and be "all in" on this front.

That was last century for Red, awhile ago for Griff. GMac probably never had to play defense. That’s what spurred the post…
Last century was when Red played for us. He played pro for another 10 years. I'm guessing he played primarily M2M then. Griff has coached under numerous other coaches before coming here, likely coaching primarily M2M. These guys didn't just forget what they knew prior to joining JB's staff.

It's never been true that we could not have played M2M before now. JB just didn't want to.

As Coach Boeheim always said, you can’t prepare for a good zone by practicing against a bad zone. Our guys don’t practice against zone. They practice against the defense they Will play against. So our starters will have to make the adjustment. Our coaches will have to prepare them for the switches and gimmicks. My point is if they aren’t teaching man, things REALLY went awry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom