Welch stepping down at Ithaca after 2016 season | Syracusefan.com

Welch stepping down at Ithaca after 2016 season

Hard to follow a legend in Jim Butterfield. Coach Welch is a stand up guy and a hard working coach. He was my freshman lax coach at IC in 90 and I was happy that he was Coach Butts successor. He had some early success but I feel that high tuition has limited how/who they can recruit. Still they have been fielding competitive teams just haven't been relevant nationally in a long time. Thanks Welchy you've done good!

SS, will not be at Ithaca. Welch has had a reality check the past handful of years. Couple that with the fact that Ithaca is going from the E8 to the Liberty and I'm sure it's a factor.

Guys a legend in NY, and a tremendous man. But, to say SS and then Wolf would take over isn't a stretch, it's an Olympic sized leap.

SS is a better coach then to be locked in d3 ball. He will get a coordinator job somewhere... If he wants it that is.

Maryland might have proved that he isn't into it anymore.

Hard to follow a legend in Jim Butterfield. Coach Welch is a stand up guy and a hard working coach. He was my freshman lax coach at IC in 90 and I was happy that he was Coach Butts successor. He had some early success but I feel that high tuition has limited how/who they can recruit. Still they have been fielding competitive teams just haven't been relevant nationally in a long time. Thanks Welchy you've done good!

D3 is tough if you do not have the proper financial aid help. High tuition is only one component - discount rate is a much bigger factor. Have not looked into it at all and Ithaca's financial aid may not be great, but the school itself should be a very big sell.

I was at IC during what was probably the peak of its athletic prowess. In 1988-1989 alone we won national championships in Baseball, Football, Gymnastics, Wrestling and Women's Soccer. It was crazy. I loved my years on South Hill. I went back a couple of years ago and a lot has changed. I think the Short Stop, Purity and Rogan's are all that's left of my time there. Now it's basically a dry campus and the school "schedules" Fountain Day. What I wouldn't give for a Dan'z Dozen after Dimies at the Dugout. Of course now I'd need a few days to recover! #BomberPride

I've always wondered why Ithaca, who played for the national title 7 times from 1974-1991 and won it three times, (all over teams they'd lost to in the title game before), had never been able to return to that level in the last 24 years. So it's the tuition and the campus experience? I also think that certain schools, (Mount Union, Wisconsin-Whitewater and I think St. Thomas is reaching that level as well, found a way to be "big time" in a small-time division.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom