Welcome Maryland and Rutgers | Syracusefan.com

Welcome Maryland and Rutgers

In all fairness, it isn't as if Rutgers had much of a choice in this. They were offered a seat at the table and couldn't say no. It isn't as if they could wait on a better offer from someone else...

Food for Thought: Rutgers and Maryland were brought on for penetration into their respective TV markets. But if these teams turn into bottomfeeders (which is a very real possibility), how much actual interest will there be to watch these teams play?

Money excepted, Maryland is worse off in this move to the B1G in every way. Of course, maybe I'm just bitter since I once lived in Maryland and was looking forward to SU playing them on a regular basis.

Bitch or no bitch, Rutgers is far better off in the B1G than the alternative. Scarlet Knights fans should say a prayer of gratitude every night for being located only 38.1 miles southwest of Times Square. Otherwise they get to slug it out for the AAAACK championship with UCONN once in a while.

Money excepted, Maryland is worse off in this move to the B1G in every way. Of course, maybe I'm just bitter since I once lived in Maryland and was looking forward to SU playing them on a regular basis.

Bitch or no bitch, Rutgers is far better off in the B1G than the alternative. Scarlet Knights fans should say a prayer of gratitude every night for being located only 38.1 miles southwest of Times Square. Otherwise they get to slug it out for the AAAACK championship with UCONN once in a while.

Agreed. Maryland is the team that really made the poorest choice here. The B1G shouldn't have taken them in either.

In all fairness, it isn't as if Rutgers had much of a choice in this. They were offered a seat at the table and couldn't say no. It isn't as if they could wait on a better offer from someone else...

What "better offer" should Rutgers have waited for? The NFC East?

The B1G East division is the absolute grand slam outcome for Rutgers. Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan with their 110,000 seat monstrosities are going to be a nightmare to deal with every year but you don't see too many teams begging to leave the SEC because the schedule is too tough. Kyle Flood will either sell the heck out of this schedule (to recruits) or we will pay somebody who can because we will have the money.

Read it again slappy, I'm agreeing with you.
Rutgers was offered. It was the only offer you were going ot get. You had to take it, no questions asked

Hey be nice to Rutgers fans/alumni...it's not their fault they have issues with reading comprehension...it's not a requirement to get into Rutgers nor part of their curriculum...

Read it again slappy, I'm agreeing with you.
Rutgers was offered. It was the only offer you were going ot get. You had to take it, no questions asked

Oh, I know what you were trying to say. It's all good though. We'll try to make the best of our unfortunate new home and circumstances. We've been left no choice but to compete against the likes of Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State every year. Why waste keystrokes on Rutgers when you can be debating whether or not you can sell out a home game against Clemson.

Oh, I know what you were trying to say. It's all good though. We'll try to make the best of our unfortunate new home and circumstances. We've been left no choice but to compete against the likes of Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State every year. Why waste keystrokes on Rutgers when you can be debating whether or not you can sell out a home game against Clemson.

No need to debate Rutgers sellouts against Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, and MSU - it'll be all opposing fans.

Every division needs its Indiana. That is you. You are now Indiana football with Northwestern basketball.

Frankly, I think there is altogether too much Rutgers-talk on this board.

But now that we have another thread on the subject--

The word "compete" has more than one meaning. I'm sure that you are using it to mean "to win". I think the alternate meaning "to take part in a contest" is closer to the truth.

I think that, for more than the near future--perhaps at least 10 years or more--Rutgers will be Indiana in football and Penn State in basketball. Just the opposite of what one would aspire to be.

We are very happy where we are going.

Good luck, you'll need it.

No need to debate Rutgers sellouts against Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, and MSU - it'll be all opposing fans.

Every division needs its Indiana. That is you. You are now Indiana football with Northwestern basketball.

Cuse lost to Northwestern, Minnesota and Rutgers last year. I would show a little more respect to the "bottom half" of the B1G if I were in your shoes. Be glad you didn't have Indiana on the schedule.

Michigan, Ohio State and PSU are big names to be sure. Names that would draw lots of casual CNY football fans to the Dome, as well as throngs of UM, tOSU, and PSU fans to the Dome. Of course, FSU, Miami and Clemson are big names too. And we can always play the UMs and OSUs out of conference. We have been known to do that pretty regularly -- as opposed to scheduling, I don't know, Bumfolk State, for example. And the swell folks at Buttgers never brought anything to the Dome, ever. And they generated zero interest among SU fans. Ever.

That said...as pertaining to the thread...yes, Buttgers had no choice but to accept the B10 invite. It was the only offer on the table. Though I do think the ACC would have invited Buttgers over UConn, or Cincy, or USF, if it ever came to that. The B1G is a great spot for Buttgers. The truth is, Buttgers has NEVER done anything to suggest they bring value to any conference beyond location. It's no more complicated than that. But playing in the B1G legitimizes them, just as playing the ACC would. Meanwhile, UConn and Company are left to dangle...perhaps for a while, perhaps for a lot longer than that.

As for Syracuse, the B1G teams you mentioned above are great. Still, I would rather be playing along the East Coast from Boston to Miami. It's who we are. It's where a large chunk of our alumni live.

That said...as pertaining to the thread...yes, Buttgers had no choice but to accept the B10 invite. It was the only offer on the table. .

I guess I just don't get the "you had no choice but to join the B1G as you had no other options" logic. The same would apply to Cuse and the ACC. Now I can't speak for Syracuse, but I can say with certainty that Rutgers would have chosen the B1G over any conference if given the choice. We are exactly where we want to be. I could care less how we got there.

I think the ACC is a great fit for Syracuse, too. Good luck.

Cuse lost to Northwestern, Minnesota and Rutgers last year. I would show a little more respect to the "bottom half" of the B1G if I were in your shoes. Be glad you didn't have Indiana on the schedule.

How did you guys do in your BCS Bowl Game?...err...ummm...Non-BCS Bowl Game?

Congrats on your Co-Big East Championship with...SYRACUSE!!!

I guess I just don't get the "you had no choice but to join the B1G as you had no other options" logic. The same would apply to Cuse and the ACC. Now I can't speak for Syracuse, but I can say with certainty that Rutgers would have chosen the B1G over any conference if given the choice. We are exactly where we want to be. I could care less how we got there.

Hey...that was a very nice way of saying you are sloppy seconds for the B1G. Way to be glass is half full!!

The feeling here is that we can and will compete in the sports that matter (football, hoop, and lax). Not sure how real the B1G and SU ever were, from my POV it would've been a disaster for us as far as competing and having our alumni and relocated CNYers engaged on the road.

I don't sense that you guys (and I like Flood) can really go toe to toe with UM, tOSU, PSU, MSU week in and out - then add IU for hoops. And your hoop situation is in shambles.

Ahh - the premise that the B1G would choose you guys over us in a vacuum is laughable. They chose you because we were already taken. I'm not even sure they would have taken you guys had Maryland not made a money grab 1st.

You are right where you want to be - and right where Michigan and PSU want you too. Good luck.

What "better offer" should Rutgers have waited for? The NFC East?

The B1G East division is the absolute grand slam outcome for Rutgers. Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan with their 110,000 seat monstrosities are going to be a nightmare to deal with every year but you don't see too many teams begging to leave the SEC because the schedule is too tough. Kyle Flood will either sell the heck out of this schedule (to recruits) or we will pay somebody who can because we will have the money.

UConn would kill to be in Rutgers shoes right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom