Well...that makes me feel better | Syracusefan.com

Well...that makes me feel better

44PRIDE

All Conference
I can't remember the last time I saw 5 wide receivers

I can't remember the last time we went for it on 4th down as many times as we did against Colgate

I can't remember the last time we moved the ball so effortlessly...

However...
1) Dungey is still scrambling around WAAAAY too much
2) O-Line needs work
3) Gotta punch it in when we are in the redzone. TD's not Field Goals...

Interior running game sucked.

Don't like how we used Strickland: he's not an inside runner.

Specials were outstanding outside of the running into the kicker.

Quiet game from Ishmael plus the personal foul, so bad night for him.

Wish we threw the ball down the middle more...need a tight end.

Slayton is a beast.

Cordy is excellent...imagine him at 6'0" tall.

Secondary is shaky...they missed a lot of open receivers.

Linebackers looked decent.

I was actually underwhelmed. We gained 550 yards of offense, and I was underwhelmed. Wow.
I wouldn't say I was underwhelmed, but I would say that I could tell this is not a finished product. The running game was bad, and the red zone offense was bad. But this bad beats the hell out of any other bad we've had recently. I think by the end of the year, we will be able to see a significant difference.

My only fear is that good teams will press us and take away those quick throws. If we can't establish a running game, the offense won't flow as well against good teams because we rely on those to set up the tempo and the deep ball. I will be interested next week to see if we are more effective running.

Lastly, I was nervous every time Dungey took off. Did anyone else think he looked much, much slower?

I was actually underwhelmed. We gained 550 yards of offense, and I was underwhelmed. Wow.

Babers had some interesting comments after the game. The announcers were raving about Dungey going 34-40, and Babers's response was: "He did okay."

I think he recognized that Dungey got away with some stuff today that won't fly against tougher opponents. BUT if he can complete 85% of his passes with three touchdowns and 350 yards in his first game running this offense, we've got a lot of reasons to be excited for down the road.

Interior running game sucked.

Don't like how we used Strickland: he's not an inside runner.

Specials were outstanding outside of the running into the kicker.

Quiet game from Ishmael plus the personal foul, so bad night for him.

Wish we threw the ball down the middle more...need a tight end.

Slayton is a beast.

Cordy is excellent...imagine him at 6'0" tall.

Secondary is shaky...they missed a lot of open receivers.

Linebackers looked decent.
Jesus can you imagine a high level TE in this offense?

I really think we used Colgate as kind of gauge to see what we can and can not do. We still have work to do but that is expected in a brand new offense. On wards and upwards we go...

I can't remember the last time I saw 5 wide receivers

I can't remember the last time we went for it on 4th down as many times as we did against Colgate

I can't remember the last time we moved the ball so effortlessly...

However...
1) Dungey is still scrambling around WAAAAY too much
2) O-Line needs work
3) Gotta punch it in when we are in the redzone. TD's not Field Goals...
3 has to be connected to 2. As the field shrinks we have to get better line play.

Babers had some interesting comments after the game. The announcers were raving about Dungey going 34-40, and Babers's response was: "He did okay."

I think he recognized that Dungey got away with some stuff today that won't fly against tougher opponents. BUT if he can complete 85% of his passes with three touchdowns and 350 yards in his first game running this offense, we've got a lot of reasons to be excited for down the road.

I think he also didn't like Dungey's instinct to scramble. He wants him going through his progressions longer. That's my guess.

I think he also didn't like Dungey's instinct to scramble. He wants him going through his progressions longer. That's my guess.
He has to adjust with that. He has zero patience in the pocket. Takes off the second he feels uncomfortable and takes his eyes off down the field. Dungey might of had great stats and he did make some BEAUTIFUL deep throws but he seriously needs to improve his pocket awareness. You're going to take hits in the pocket. But if he wants this offense to truly be what it could, he has to be willing to get hit and make throws. His accuracy is very good I think. Arm power is mehhhh...

Was impressed with what we saw from Philips, Neal, and Riley. Future looks bright with elusive talent like those guys.

And obviously, the transfer from Maryland WR looked like a great pickup.

He has to adjust with that. He has zero patience in the pocket. Takes off the second he feels uncomfortable and takes his eyes off down the field. Dungey might of had great stats and he did make some BEAUTIFUL deep throws but he seriously needs to improve his pocket awareness. You're going to take hits in the pocket. But if he wants this offense to truly be what it could, he has to be willing to get hit and make throws. His accuracy is very good I think. Arm power is mehhhh...

He also could be shell-shocked from getting knocked around like a pinball last year but your post is spot on.

iommi said:
Interior running game sucked. Don't like how we used Strickland: he's not an inside runner. Specials were outstanding outside of the running into the kicker. Quiet game from Ishmael plus the personal foul, so bad night for him. Wish we threw the ball down the middle more...need a tight end. Slayton is a beast. Cordy is excellent...imagine him at 6'0" tall. Secondary is shaky...they missed a lot of open receivers. Linebackers looked decent.

I wouldn't close the book on Strickland just yet. I think he'll figure it out.

We stalled out on some drives but an established running game would have changed that. The o line left our QBs scrambling a fair bit and got little push on the d line ... but not much difference from last year in that regard and they are learning a system all over again. So it could be worse. But I am lowering expectations for the year accordingly.

On the positive side - the players seemed very focused and motivated and prepared for game situations. GREAT sign for the future.

He also could be shell-shocked from getting knocked around like a pinball last year but your post is spot on.
I agree. Which is fair- but he will definitely be working on that aspect A LOT this upcoming week. UL is going to be a handful. This OLine will have to sure some things up as well. Just happy that was an enjoyable 3 hours of my life:) that's never the case with 'Cuse football.

iommi said:
I love Strickland. We didn't use him correctly. He's better in the slot or at the very least should be running outside.

We'll see. I have a feeling he'll get acclimated.

I love Strickland. We didn't use him correctly. He's better in the slot or at the very least should be running outside.
Even announcers said Strickland's 1st time playing traditional rb since high school...

I wouldn't say I was underwhelmed, but I would say that I could tell this is not a finished product. The running game was bad, and the red zone offense was bad. But this bad beats the hell out of any other bad we've had recently. I think by the end of the year, we will be able to see a significant difference.

My only fear is that good teams will press us and take away those quick throws. If we can't establish a running game, the offense won't flow as well against good teams because we rely on those to set up the tempo and the deep ball. I will be interested next week to see if we are more effective running.

Lastly, I was nervous every time Dungey took off. Did anyone else think he looked much, much slower?
Good teams will press the short throws but when we go 4-5 wide, bubble screens become the running game if we can't get anything between the tackles. Someone will have to make a run up the seam though, don't see any tight end doing that so not sure who takes that route to punish teams for pressing up on the short throws if our WRs are being stood up at the line and/or Dungey isn't given much time in the pocket.

Even announcers said Strickland's 1st time playing traditional rb since high school...

He can play running back but they were running him up the gut like a power back. :crazy:

It's a poor use of talent. If we did it last year, the torches would be out. Hopefully, they adjust.

He can play running back but they were running him up the gut like a power back. :crazy:

It's a poor use of talent. If we did it last year, the torches would be out. Hopefully, they adjust.
If you watched Bowling Green last year, that's how they used their RB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom