We're still a very good program | Syracusefan.com

We're still a very good program

Millhouse

Living Legend
I know people are upset that we haven't been great the last 5 years but here is the list of teams that have an SRS rating (schedule adjusted point differential) of 44 or better the last 5 years that have also made a final 4 in that time

Duke
Gonzaga
Michigan State
Kentucky
Kansas
Villanova
Syracuse
UNC (EDIT i missed them)

That's good company. That's a bad stretch for Boeheim and it's still something that most schools can't accomplish. Stop being babies.

Boeheim knows the zone gives us a high floor and that does count for something and it doesn't stop us from sweet 16s and final 4s. People are making it out like this is some dragged out sucky period where we have to indulge the old man. Temple comparisons? Cheney couldn't win 20 in the A10 those late years

Last edited:
Our HC is 74 and not getting younger.
In the last 5 years our seed has been: 8, 11, missed tournament, 10, missed tournament.
The 2016 Final Four was a great job but our program doesn’t change.

It’s the same defense 100% of the time even if it isn’t working and we run the same basic isolation offense that isn’t hard to defend by P5 teams.

If we were pumping out top 4 seeds and flaming out of the tournament which is a 1 and done tournament and upsets happen it would be different.

This program has been mediocre in the regular season for 5 years and the head coach knows talent is an issue.

What player on the roster will be one of the top 15 in the ACC next year?
We are Sears in the age of Amazon. It’s a brand and not pathetic but aren’t the elite brand we once were.

In the last 5 years our seed has been: 8, 11, missed tournament, 10, missed tournament.

It’s the same defense 100% of the time even if it isn’t working and we run the same basic isolation offense that isn’t hard to defend by P5 teams.

If we were pumping out top 4 seeds and flaming out of the tournament which is a 1 and done tournament and upsets happen it would be different.

This program has been mediocre in the regular season for 5 years and the head coach knows talent is an issue.

We are Sears in the age of Amazon. It’s a brand and not pathetic but aren’t the elite brand we once were.

if they've been mediocre, why do so many teams have trouble being consistenly mediocre? Throw out the final 4 criteria, there are only 13 teams that have been ranked 44th or better all 5 years. Baylor is one of them coincidentally

Sears, c'mon

This is one of the places where I am disappointed. Lots of reasons for it, but we don't see JB doing anything to correct the issue. Wanting better players isn't enough. I know, because I've wanted better players for some time now.

Even if you grant JB his system and his way of doing things with respect to play on the court, I'm coming to the end of the rope that I feel like he should be given on the recruiting front. We have to have better talent to play this system. Seems like only a few ways to do it and the legitimate ones include him getting on the road and putting the recruiting time in, or hiring an assistant that has the established connections and personality to bring top level kids in.

We don't seem to be doing either.

The standard needs to be higher. Most programs will never be Syracuse and they will be happy with just making the tournament with the occasional 20 win season. Making the tournament should be an expectation every season. Winning 20+ games should be the rule not the exception.

Ehh somehow I doubt fans would be cool with that. I was a little kid then but weren't the early to mid 80s miserable due to not doing well in March? I definitely remember my dad talking about people wanting JB fired because he can't win games in the tournament.

and yet here we are in a group with the very best programs in the country

it should be hard to ignore facts but you guys are doing it!

When the stat doesn't measure up to what you're actually seeing with your own eyes, maybe that stat isn't quite as meaningful as you're making it out to be? On what planet would anyone put us in that group over the past 5 years?

I know people are upset that we haven't been great the last 5 years but here is the list of teams that have an SRS rating (schedule adjusted point differential) of 44 or better the last 5 years that have also made a final 4 in that time

Duke
Gonzaga
Michigan State
Kentucky
Kansas
Villanova
Syracuse

That's good company. That's a bad stretch for Boeheim and it's still something that most schools can't accomplish. Stop being babies.

Boeheim knows the zone gives us a high floor and that does count for something and it doesn't stop us from sweet 16s and final 4s. People are making out like this is some dragged out sucky period where we have to indulge the old man. Temple comparisons? Cheney couldn't win 20 in the A10 those late years
I concur.

and yet here we are in a group with the very best programs in the country

it should be hard to ignore facts but you guys are doing it!
Im not arguing with you im just ackowledging that the future sustainability of the mentioned success is not looking so hot.

When the stat doesn't measure up to what you're actually seeing with your own eyes, maybe that stat isn't quite as meaningful as you're making it out to be? On what planet would anyone put us in that group over the past 5 years?
why isn't that stat meaningful? being decent every year while having special final 4 seasons isn't meaningful?

your eyes are spoiled and you're annoyed that we haven't ever been great the last 5 years (I agree that's true) but being consistently pretty good and getting to a final four is still rare

why isn't that stat meaningful? being decent every year while having special final 4 seasons isn't meaningful?

your eyes are spoiled
Im not sure they are. We’re being blown out in most losses and our teams visibly frustrated on the floor.

Things are visibly not the same the past three years.

your eyes are spoiled

We also lead the country in coach boogers picked but that doesn't have an effect on the trajectory of the program either. We are not in their class and badly slipping.

Im not sure they are. We’re being blown out in most losses and our teams visibly frustrated on the floor.

I didn't say that we haven't been better.

There are only 23 teams that have been top 60 the last 5 years (final 4 or no)

We also lead the country is coach boogers picked but that doesn't have an effect on the trajectory of the program either.
good one

your eyes are spoiled and you're annoyed that we haven't ever been great the last 5 years (I agree that's true) but being consistently pretty good and getting to a final four is still rare

Duke
Gonzaga
Michigan State
Kentucky
Kansas
Villanova
Syracuse

Boeheim knows the zone gives us a high floor and that does count for something and it doesn't stop us from sweet 16s and final 4s. People are making out like this is some dragged out sucky period where we have to indulge the old man. Temple comparisons? Cheney couldn't win 20 in the A10 those late years
Yay we should be proud that we’re most consistently mediocre. I know you’re trying to help millly but cmon.

blowout losses factor into the point differential so apparently other teams are losing more or getting blown out just as bad

if they've been mediocre, why do so many teams have trouble being consistenly mediocre? Throw out the final 4 criteria, there are only 13 teams that have been ranked 44th or better all 5 years. Baylor is one of them coincidentally

Sears, c'mon
I compare Syracuse to teams like Arizona, Michigan State, Purdue,Louisville, Florida.
Only one of those teams have made the Final Four the last 5 years but they aren’t stagnant like our program has been.

Part of the problem was the 2009-2014 ish run which is so good and probably an anomaly that people keep wanting those years
and those teams would've not been included because they didn't make a final four

the final four makes a big difference here filtering the larger group down but that larger group really isn't that large.

we've had stretches like this before and i agree with others that there probably isn't time for JB to have another great stretch. but as swan songs go for 100 year olds, it's pretty good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom