Western Michigan will pay Syracuse football $300,000 to open season on road | Syracusefan.com

Western Michigan will pay Syracuse football $300,000 to open season on road

It this supposed to help the program? WMU is no team to trifle with.

It this supposed to help the program? WMU is no team to trifle with.

That's true. WMU is a real team. However, 2018 WMU is a markedly different team than 2016 WMU. Everyone relax, I knocked on wood.

That's true. WMU is a real team. However, 2018 WMU is a markedly different team than 2016 WMU. Everyone relax, I knocked on wood.
This game will give a lot of people fits.

This game will give a lot of people fits.

Yeah, probably. But that doesn't change the fact that 2018 WMU is not 2016 WMU. That doesn't mean they're not a real team, and that doesn't mean we'll win. It means 2018 WMU's chances of going to the Sugar Bowl are about the same as me randomly stumbling across Jimmy Hoffa's corpse.

No it's no gimme but it's game that we need to be able to win at this point. I'm all for playing an easier non-conf but they can't all be I-AA teams
I just have them in the elite level of the G5. Boise, SDSU, UCF, USF, Menphis, Houston, Northern Illinois, Toledo, WKU, Troy. MTSU. LaTech. Those are all strong teams that can beat P5 teams. Should have scheduled Kent.

I just have them in the elite level of the G5. Boise, SDSU, UCF, USF, Menphis, Houston, Northern Illinois, Toledo, WKU, Troy. MTSU. LaTech. Those are all strong teams that can beat P5 teams. Should have scheduled Kent.

I swear I'm not trying to troll you, we just seem to disagree on a lot of things tonight. WMU, aside from a crazy run in 2016, is consistently fine. I'd put them closer to CMU or Ohio than Boise. BGSU, for instance, has been consistently better than WMU over the past five years (last year notwithstanding).

I swear I'm not trying to troll you, we just seem to disagree on a lot of things tonight. WMU, aside from a crazy run in 2016, is consistently fine. I'd put them closer to CMU or Ohio than Boise. BGSU, for instance, has been consistently better than WMU over the past five years (last year notwithstanding).
I guess we'll see soon enough.

I guess we'll see soon enough.

No, no, you misunderstand. I feel like I'm doing a bad job of explaining my position. I'm not saying that WMU is a cupcake. I'm not saying that they're a bad team. I'm not even saying that we're going to win. I'm saying that WMU is traditionally a fine MAC team. They are most analogous to CMU (in fact CMU won last year). They are somewhere above EMU and somewhere below Ohio. That team may still be better than we are, but they aren't an "elite" G5 team.

No, no, you misunderstand. I feel like I'm doing a bad job of explaining my position. I'm not saying that WMU is a cupcake. I'm not saying that they're a bad team. I'm not even saying that we're going to win. I'm saying that WMU is traditionally a fine MAC team. They are most analogous to CMU (in fact CMU won last year). They are somewhere above EMU and somewhere below Ohio. That team may still be better than we are, but they aren't an "elite" G5 team.
I kind of got the perception that the WMU administration had decided they were going to put the money and effort to become a G5 power. They are committed to that and to become in Michigan what UCF is in Florida.

I kind of got the perception that the WMU administration had decided they were going to put the money and effort to become a G5 power. They are committed to that and to become in Michigan what UCF is in Florida.

I really don't want to be snippy, but . . . I mean . . . they hired Tim Lester. No they aren't.

I really don't want to be snippy, but . . . I mean . . . they hired Tim Lester. No they aren't.
Lester is their all time greatest QB. He's family over there. Just keep under estimating the challenge they present so on game day you come unglued yelling at your tv how we should easily destroy this team.

Lester is their all time greatest QB. He's family over there. Just keep under estimating the challenge they present so on game day you come unglued yelling at your tv how we should easily destroy this team.

I'm slowly beginning to think that you're trolling me because I feel like I was pretty clear. Honestly, it seems like you're deliberately misunderstanding my point so you can defend WMU's honor or whatever. This time, I'm going to try using caps locks. *Breathes in* I NEVER SAID THAT WE'RE GOING TO WIN! I NEVER SAID THAT THEY WERE BAD! I NEVER SAID THAT I EXPECT THIS TO BE AN EASY GAME! I NEVER SAID THAT THEY WERE A CUPCAKE! THEY ARE A FINE MAC TEAM, AND THERE IS HONOR IN BEING A FINE MAC TEAM!

TIM LESTER IS THEIR GREATEST QB OF ALL TIME, BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE HIM AN AMAZING COACH! IN FACT, HE TOOK A SUGAR BOWL TEAM AND WENT 6-6 WITH IT. THAT STILL DOESN'T MEAN THAT WE'RE GOING TO WIN BECAUSE WMU IS A REAL FOOTBALL TEAM AND WE ARE PLAYING THEM ON THE ROAD AS OUR FIRST GAME. MY POINT IS SIMPLY THAT 2018 WMU IS NOT 2016 WMU.

I'm slowly beginning to think that you're trolling me because I feel like I was pretty clear. Honestly, it seems like you're deliberately misunderstanding my point so you can defend WMU's honor or whatever. This time, I'm going to try using caps locks. *Breathes in* I NEVER SAID THAT WE'RE GOING TO WIN! I NEVER SAID THAT THEY WERE BAD! I NEVER SAID THAT I EXPECT THIS TO BE AN EASY GAME! I NEVER SAID THAT THEY WERE A CUPCAKE! THEY ARE A FINE MAC TEAM, AND THERE IS HONOR IN BEING A FINE MAC TEAM!

TIM LESTER IS THEIR GREATEST QB OF ALL TIME, BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE HIM AN AMAZING COACH! IN FACT, HE TOOK A SUGAR BOWL TEAM AND WENT 6-6 WITH IT. THAT STILL DOESN'T MEAN THAT WE'RE GOING TO WIN BECAUSE WMU IS A REAL FOOTBALL TEAM AND WE ARE PLAYING THEM ON THE ROAD AS OUR FIRST GAME. MY POINT IS SIMPLY THAT 2018 WMU IS NOT 2016 WMU.
My point is that there has to be 50 lower rated G5 teams to play than WMU. When I saw that game being scheduled I thought, " Why not Kent State, ODU, Coastal Carolina".

My point is that there has to be 50 lower rated G5 teams to play than WMU. When I saw that game being scheduled I thought, " Why not Kent State, ODU, Coastal Carolina".

Who knows what their availability is. Also, WMU was scheduled before their run in 2016, IIRC. At the time, I'm sure that we saw scheduling WMU as more or less equivalent to scheduling CMU.

That's a lot of "elite" teams. I guess my understanding is that word is different.
Top tier, you get my drift. How many elite teams would you name in the P5? Probably more out of 65 which is less teams. This is the same outlook before MTSU last year and what a shock that was for all the Orange google wearing folks.

Top tier, you get my drift. How many elite teams would you name in the P5? Probably more out of 65 which is less teams. This is the same outlook before MTSU last year and what a shock that was for all the Orange google wearing folks.

WMU this season is probably closer to CMU. I am still not saying that this is a cupcake (we easily could have lost to CMU last year if we hadn’t gone on a tear in the third quarter). However, I think MTSU with the coaches son at QB was a more complete team than WMU is this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom