What’s in the Water in Utah | Syracusefan.com

What’s in the Water in Utah

Not a very populous state (30th approx). Pretty sure it gets cold there in the winter. And 2 teams that won their FBS conference championships.
BYU also went 5 and 0 against the Pac-12.

There's strong sports culture in Utah, and I think the 3 major college football programs there do a great job developing talent.

BYU also went 5 and 0 against the Pac-12.

There's strong sports culture in Utah, and I think the 3 major college football programs there do a great job developing talent.
Lots of good JC football in Utah also. At least there used to be

Built in advantage recruiting Mormons nationally. Not sure if the age thing helps them at all but they have a lot of older kids because a lot of the players go on Mormon missions and then come back to play football.
During that two year mission period they arent allowed to play sports or do things like lifting weights. Not sure how taking two years off from all aspects of football would increase your football ability.

I believe the mission thing only applies to BYU. I was there this week and there is a strong sports/outdoor culture in SLC and the area. I think there is a stronger interest in hoops there (like in cold Syracuse). From what I saw, they are passionate about being active and are fiercely loyal to where they are from (The way I am about NJ and the way you are about Syracuse).

Built in advantage recruiting Mormons nationally. Not sure if the age thing helps them at all but they have a lot of older kids because a lot of the players go on Mormon missions and then come back to play football.
White shirting?

1638731890331.jpeg

Not a very populous state (30th approx). Pretty sure it gets cold there in the winter. And 2 teams that won their FBS conference championships.

The difference is Kyle Whittingham is a great coach. He's 11-3 in bowl games. Inherited a successful program from Meyer and has done well transitioning into the Pac 12. SU needs a coach like him. He's consistent, he develops and more importantly he hasnt taken a more attractive job.

Last edited:

Yeah far more Mormons than most realize. Also while I knew to correct myself, I definitely read this quickly without the r lol.

can someone give me a 15 word description of what a Mormon actually is? I could google this, but it’s better coming from random people here.

can someone give me a 15 word description of what a Mormon actually is? I could google this, but it’s better coming from random people here.
A member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They believe that after Jesus' life and the days of the apostles that connection to the authority to lead Christs church was taken from the earth and key doctrines of Christ's gospel were lost. They believe that Joseph Smith was the prophet of the gospel restoration. After the church was restored it grew rapidly and was part of American westward expansion, starting in New York, then Ohio, Missouri, Illinois, and finally congregating in Utah. Since that time, the church's missionary efforts have expanded its presence globally.

I'm a Mormon, btw. Needed more than 15 words.

So what do you and your fellows do besides root for syracuse
A member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They believe that after Jesus' life and the days of the apostles that connection to the authority to lead Christs church was taken from the earth and key doctrines of Christ's gospel were lost. They believe that Joseph Smith was the prophet of the gospel restoration. After the church was restored it grew rapidly and was part of American westward expansion, starting in New York, then Ohio, Missouri, Illinois, and finally congregating in Utah. Since that time, the church's missionary efforts have expanded its presence globally.

I rent an apartment to Mormon missionaries. No tv, no parties, no drugs, no alcohol, no women, rent always on time in my account. Best tenants ever!

Speaking of the topic- not sure if you have visited and most even around here don't know about it but this is just 20 minutes up the road from me..

Speaking of the topic- not sure if you have visited and most even around here don't know about it but this is just 20 minutes up the road from me..

I actually haven't made it to that one yet, but my parents love it.

Whats in the water? I'm guessing there is a lot of salt in Salt Lake. But that doesn't explain the success. We're a whole city of salt, and we couldn't even dream of the success those 3 schools have had since we were last relevant in 2001.

I know over the years that a bunch of Samoans have played football in Utah. Plus the Mormons must have the best QB's per capita based on the number of pros coming out of BYU.
Although I didn't verify if McMahon was a Mormon.

Steve Young is a Mormon, but he is from Greenwich, CT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom