What a difference a year makes | Syracusefan.com

What a difference a year makes

SWC75

Bored Historian
Last year there were no great teams any more and little difference between the "top" schools and the Butlers, VCUs and George Masons who started showing up in the Final Four. There almost seemed to be no point in getting top recruits because it assured you of nothing.

Now it's the Calipari era, where snake oil salemen pull in all the top recruits and builds a team so talented nobody can beat it. How do we compete with that?

I wonder what the story will be next year? I think will find that it's still harder to build a Final Four team at Butler than at Kentucky but that this year's Kentucky team wa sa special group of talents and personalities that fit together well and that the next truckload of Burger Boys won't be able to duplicate what they did.

i think this time last year, there were 5 'great teams' everyone was talking about...

UNC, OSU, UK, CUSE and CONN.

The perfect storm happened to derail the only 2 teams that could have beaten Kentucky, UNC losing Marshall, and us losing Melo. That will not happen again, and Kentucky escaped with no injuries or foul trouble, and didn't have to play a really physical team.

I don't think they will be able to duplicate this success next year either. I think their past teams had a lot of athletes but no real shooters, this year they had a complete package with Doron Lamb. I don't see that happening next year if he leaves, but if they do pull it off again next season, it will begin to get a little tired to even follow the college game when you ultimately know that more than likely Kentucky will win.

I don't think they will be able to duplicate this success next year either. I think their past teams had a lot of athletes but no real shooters, this year they had a complete package with Doron Lamb. I don't see that happening next year if he leaves, but if they do pull it off again next season, it will begin to get a little tired to even follow the college game when you ultimately know that more than likely Kentucky will win.
Hell the best one of them all was probably Kidd-Gilchrist.

I share similar worries as well. The last thing men's college b'ball needs is a team equivalent to the UConn women's b'ball team.

I share similar worries as well. The last thing men's college b'ball needs is a team equivalent to the UConn women's b'ball team.
On the other hand, sports tend to thrive when there is a "Villain".

On the other hand, sports tend to thrive when there is a "Villain".

Very true. As a Yankees fan, I don't mind that role :).

I tend to prefer parity much like the NFL has. Any team can win any given Sunday. Makes each victory a little sweeter IMHO.