What are the reasons to be more optimistic after 2021's 5 and 7 than 2019's 5 and 7? | Syracusefan.com

What are the reasons to be more optimistic after 2021's 5 and 7 than 2019's 5 and 7?

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Talk me off the ledge.

What reasons do we have go believe that we're better heading into the next season right now that we didn't have coming out of 2019?

My fan / faith took a beating this past week, with all of the SU losses. Accordingly, it's tough for me to be optimistic right now.

But here are three differences:
  • Established QB who has made us competitive against good teams
  • A Heisman caliber running back
  • 4 returning starters on the OL

That's all I got.

No reason honestly.

2019 should have won NC State game.
2021 should have won one of Wake, Florida State and Clemson.

So the only positive is we had 3 losses that could have been wins in 2021 but that negates we could have lost the Liberty and Virginia Tech games this year.
2019 could have lost the Wake OT game so honestly I see no difference.

Just underachieving seasons.

2019 the roster was more upperclass heavy. 2021 we played more freshmen and sophomores I think.

The 2019 defense also benefited from generating a ton of turnovers, but being pretty bad from a YPP perspective (I think.) Being decent/good at YPP generally is more sustainable than relying on getting a ton of turnovers

That's all I've got

Last edited:
Talk me off the ledge.

What reasons do we have go believe that we're better heading into the next season right now that we didn't have coming out of 2019?
None aside from maybe the core of our D (linebackers and corners) avoid the portal.

This was brutal.

My fan / faith took a beating this past week, with all of the SU losses. Accordingly, it's tough for me to be optimistic right now.

That's all I got.
Is Vet expected to be healthy to start the year?

I feel like a Bergeron/Ellis/Vet/Bleich/Davis offensive line could be pretty good.

Is Vet expected to be healthy to start the year?

I feel like a Bergeron/Ellis/Vet/Bleich/Davis offensive line could be pretty good.
If Cruz Jr. is as good as advertised maybe they can work him in if Vet isn’t ready. Or if there is an unexpected departure among the starters.

There isn’t, at least nothing tangible as of this moment.

Given the portal dynamic, and the usual turnover in staff, I don’t think we’ll know much of anything for months.

There isn’t, at least nothing tangible as of this moment.

Given the portal dynamic, and the usual turnover in staff, I don’t think we’ll know much of anything for months.
dumb and dumber horror GIF

No lines at the men's room and better beer selection at the Dome
I’ve experienced waiting in bathroom lines that extend outside the bathroom at enough other stadiums to truly appreciate the troughs.

The best hope is that either Shrader improved his deep passing game or Lamson is really good. That's all I got. Will really hurt if we lose any of Tucker, Jones, or Bergeron.

That's all I got.
Usually I like returning starters on the OL too, but I'm not sure this group is the Electric Company. I think Tucker made the difference more than superior line play.

Usually I like returning starters on the OL too, but I'm not sure this group is the Electric Company. I think Tucker made the difference more than superior line play.

Counterpoint: we dealt with injuries all year long -- seemed like Bleich / Davis were never healthy, Tisdale and Vet missed like half the season each.

Continuity is what makes for a good line. Tough when you're dealing with the walking wounded all year. But returning a solid nucleus [plus someone like Cruz] is the way to take the next step.

Counterpoint: we dealt with injuries all year long -- seemed like Bleich / Davis were never healthy, Tisdale and Vet missed like half the season each.

Continuity is what makes for a good line. Tough when you're dealing with the walking wounded all year. But returning a solid nucleus [plus someone like Cruz] is the way to take the next step.
Young guys coached up will make a difference. Bet Ilaoa plays noticeably better next year.

Talk me off the ledge.

Stud running back. A QB that rips off 50 yd TD runs with some regularity and if you squint just right he throws the ball OK sometimes too.

Defense showing some signs of being pretty good.

Wishcasting that a bunch of young guys will improve with time and experience.

Maybe we can plug some (admittedly very large) holes in the portal
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

There is no reason for optimism until we get a new head coach. Dino preaches belief without evidence, well we have 6 seasons of evidence and 5 aren't good. In any profession he'd be out of a job by now. The only thing holding him in place is a contract extension after his peak season.

What we have now is similar to when a professional athlete blows up during a contract year, some sucker signs him to a bloated long term contract, and the guy goes right back to being mediocre after. It's called a bad contract and we have one. So we're probably stuck with him for another year or two and we will suffer until there is a change.

Talent level and holes on the roster are the least of my concerns honestly, it's the regression in Dino's ability to make decisions during critical points in games that I can't get over. He's basically incompetent now with 5 minutes to go in a half or game.

Last edited:
We have the lowest ranked recruiting class in the ACC. Does that help?

ND game might have some fans there.

In my 30 years of going to games, last night was the emptiest I’ve ever seen the place. There was zero energy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom