What are we even looking forward to? | Syracusefan.com

What are we even looking forward to?

longislandcuse

Living Legend
Save some tourney runs (which are the only things keeping our program afloat), this is the same team, maybe worse, than we’ve seen every season since 24-0.

Syracuse Basketball is pretty much a mediocre af program in the ACC since we joined. How does that even happen!?

We lose Howard, Battle and Chukwu and bring in the same type of recruits we’ve been losing with. No point guard. No center. Some promise at SG and F, but who knows anymore.

Looks like another season next year, like this year, like last year, like the year before...

Meanwhile, one of my best friends is a Florida Gator fan. They are having a down year but oh, what’s that I see?... the #7 class in the country with 2-5 star players!? What’s a 5 Star Player anyway?... I seem to have forgot.

Save some tourney runs (which are the only things keeping our program afloat), this is the same team, maybe worse, than we’ve seen every season since 24-0.

Syracuse Basketball is pretty much a mediocre af program in the ACC since we joined. How does that even happen!?

We lose Howard, Battle and Chukwu and bring in the same type of recruits we’ve been losing with. No point guard. No center. Some promise at SG and F, but who knows anymore.

Looks like another season next year, like this year, like last year, like the year before...

Meanwhile, one of my best friends is a Florida Gator fan. They are having a down year but oh, what’s that I see?... the #7 class in the country with 2-5 star players!? What’s a 5 Star Player anyway?... I seem to have forgot.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t we have two 1’s and one 5 coming in next year?

Our 5 stars go to Washington now

We've seen what happens when we pin our hopes on non-elite kids to save us. They may be good down the line if we don't ruin them in the interim.
Fair enough.

Goodine looks great in highlights to me. Crazy athlete with a pure shot, it seems. But who knows.

What can we do? I’m not giving up. So this is what we have to look forward to.

Not getting IS was killer tho.

didnt you read alsacs posts, these games dont matter. all that matters is the ncaa, and our seed doesnt matter either. just results because of sweet 16 last year. why are you spending so much time worrying about games that dont matter?

You’re more than welcome to jump ship and root for the Gators.

this is the same team, maybe worse, than we’ve seen every season since 25-0.

And yet some are trying to suggest that a handful of "bad eggs" drove away all the quality posters for lack of a better word. The only thing driving people away is the basketball program. Our fans are great yada yada JB all you want, but eventually fans stop caring and we invest in other parts of our lives. It used to be somewhat cathartic to come on here after a tough loss to take in different viewpoints but after 5 years of the same old same old there's not much left to say. The well is running dry.

It's the no end in sight part that really stings. If fans could point to dynamite recruiting to give us hope, we'd be a LOT more forgiving. But it is what it is. 4 more years. I hate to say it but if 2 straight NITs meant we'd move on to the future that much sooner, I'll sign up for that right now. I know the replacement could bomb but we have to cross that bridge because the status quo is not the answer.

Posts about the sky falling from longislandcuse. That’s what I’m looking forward to and it looks my prayers have been answered. Oh wait. Was the question rhetorical?

We have 'different' to look forward to. Just to see what the new kids can do. Goodine and the Canuck are interesting players with potential. Who knows? We hope for a positive surprise. We hope for development. Buddy is already far ahead of what any rational fan expected. Carey showed early good stuff, and i kinda think he's going to make a major jump. If he doesn't transfer... Remember when we had Pearl, and Sherm was the backup? I remember vividly as a freshman, laughing with my friends when Sherm got a few minutes, because he looked so bad. And we feared what we'd be left with without Pearl. And Sherm shocked the heck out of us. I didn't know what we were getting with John Wallace. I didn't expect Carmelo to be all world in his first year. That's the fun of recruits.

We are facing a very real problem in that i expect recruiting to take one step backward with each year that Buddy advances. As the expectation of JB's retirement approaches, all that happens is that we grow uncertainty. Not good, especially with our being branded 'mediocre' and 'bubble' these last four years. And four years is really all a high schooler knows.

Next year might be another year like this. Actually, it's probable it'll be another year like this. But, whaddyagonnado? We're married to the program and there are no annulments.

Unfortunately, before the season, if you were to make predictions of how each of the next three seasons were to go this season is the one where we are set up for the most success just because of the experience we have coming back. But the beauty of college hoops is that each year brings a brand new team and kids can make drastic improvements over the course of a summer and. To answer your question, that’s what we have to look forward to. Next year we have solid talent coming back with Brissett, Buddy, Carey, Marek and Hughes along with three freshmen whom a ton of programs wanted. That alone is something to look forward to.

If Carey develops, and Brissett and Hughes get their heads on straight it could be a great year. Or they might not and we could get a season worse than this one. I for one look forward to finding out.

I believe there is a famous quote out there about enjoying the journey and the not the destination that I whole heartedly agree with.

And yet some are trying to suggest that a handful of "bad eggs" drove away all the quality posters for lack of a better word. The only thing driving people away is the basketball program. Our fans are great yada yada JB all you want, but eventually fans stop caring and we invest in other parts of our lives. It used to be somewhat cathartic to come on here after a tough loss to take in different viewpoints but after 5 years of the same old same old there's not much left to say. The well is running dry.

It's the no end in sight part that really stings. If fans could point to dynamite recruiting to give us hope, we'd be a LOT more forgiving. But it is what it is. 4 more years. I hate to say it but if 2 straight NITs meant we'd move on to the future that much sooner, I'll sign up for that right now. I know the replacement could bomb but we have to cross that bridge because the status quo is not the answer.
age waits for no one. We will have to cross it soon no matter what. Lets cross it.

didnt you read alsacs posts, these games dont matter. all that matters is the ncaa, and our seed doesnt matter either. just results because of sweet 16 last year. why are you spending so much time worrying about games that dont matter?

To be fair, when we were winning a ton of regular season games and flaming out in the tournament people complained that only the tournament matters.

I’ve never subscribed to that, because a great basketball season gets you through the winter and it’s fun being excited about every game.

I wish we could push out a staff member and bring in a non Syracuse alumni ace recruiter and big man coach. An Orr for Troy Weaver situation would be nice.

To be fair, when we were winning a ton of regular season games and flaming out in the tournament people complained that only the tournament matters.

I’ve never subscribed to that, because a great basketball season gets you through the winter and it’s fun being excited about every game.

I wish we could push out a staff member and bring in a non Syracuse alumni ace recruiter and big man coach. An Orr for Troy Weaver situation would be nice.

We just had an open assistants position when Hopkins left and JB hired Griffin. That was his opportunity and we kept it in the family. Mind boggling.

I don’t expect things to get better when we hire a new coach, because the new coach won’t be a HOFernin all likelihood. On the other hand, we just lost by 15 to NC State.

So hey purgatory is nice.

I don’t expect things to get better when we hire a new coach, because the new coach won’t be a HOFernin all likelihood. On the other hand, we just lost by 15 to NC State.

So hey purgatory is nice.

My guess they hire Red or Gerry to appease the alumni and big donors. Then we have an ugly Kevin Ollie situation. But if UConn can attract Hurley, who despite being a jerk is also a solid hire, I imagine we’ll be able to get the next Chris Mack.

My guess they hire Red or Gerry to appease the alumni and big donors. Then we have an ugly Kevin Ollie situation. But if UConn can attract Hurley, who despite being a jerk is also a solid hire, I imagine we’ll be able to get the next Chris Mack.
We aren’t going to be stupid enough to hand the keys to GMac.
I refuse to believe Wildhack will do that.
Short of the real high donors think the poster who has the auditorium at Newhouse demanding it and I don’t think those level donors get involved in coaching hires to the degree we believe I don’t see Wildhack giving the keys to GMac.
If GMac gets hired without any HC experience then the fanbase will become even more splintered.
Autry has to be pick if it’s a current staff member.
If it’s not a current staff member we have to do the obligatory offer and courtesy to Mike Hopkins.
Have him decline. Then go after the best coach we can find.

We have 'different' to look forward to. Just to see what the new kids can do. Goodine and the Canuck are interesting players with potential. Who knows? We hope for a positive surprise. We hope for development. Buddy is already far ahead of what any rational fan expected. Carey showed early good stuff, and i kinda think he's going to make a major jump. If he doesn't transfer... Remember when we had Pearl, and Sherm was the backup? I remember vividly as a freshman, laughing with my friends when Sherm got a few minutes, because he looked so bad. And we feared what we'd be left with without Pearl. And Sherm shocked the heck out of us. I didn't know what we were getting with John Wallace. I didn't expect Carmelo to be all world in his first year. That's the fun of recruits.

We are facing a very real problem in that i expect recruiting to take one step backward with each year that Buddy advances. As the expectation of JB's retirement approaches, all that happens is that we grow uncertainty. Not good, especially with our being branded 'mediocre' and 'bubble' these last four years. And four years is really all a high schooler knows.

Next year might be another year like this. Actually, it's probable it'll be another year like this. But, whaddyagonnado? We're married to the program and there are no annulments.
Just for the record, Sherman Douglas played in 27 games as freshman, averaging 11.4 minutes, 5.4 points, 2.1 assists on 61.3% shooting.

Except JB didn’t “fire” Orr. And he won’t give any of his current staff the pink slip. Loyal to a fault much like P was. You think he’s going to tell his only begotten son that he should stick to fishing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom