What changes could college basketball incorporate to help offense? | Syracusefan.com

What changes could college basketball incorporate to help offense?

Alsacs

Living Legend
It seems every sport is trying to help offense.
What could College basketball do?

shorten the shot clock more
clone that Loyola Marymount guy from way back when

It seems every sport is trying to help offense.
What could College basketball do?

They could start by calling fouls. When a guy impedes, holds or hits another guy, it's a foul. If he's trying to shoot, it's in the act of shooting, not if he takes an extra step or two and then gets off his shot. (I'm a no-continuation purist. That's an NBA rule.)

All these complicated interpretations of how a charge or a block or an illegal screen should be called are all hooey.

Common sense. We knew the difference between a block and a charge on the playground when we were kids. It's no different now.

You need to be in position first, not sliding in. You have to have your defensive position before the guy starts his shot.

If you undercut a guy who has already begun his motion, that's a block, whether you get your feet set or not, because the shooter is entitled to land.

Let's return to common sense officiating, and that will do most of what we need.

Would we be having this conversation if SU was playing like it did in the OT win @ Duke? I agree a more run 'n gun type of game is fun for the fans, but it's not realistic for every team to play that way. I think in college, teams need a few more seconds to get into an offensive set (Syracuse offense not withstanding.)

I do think like mentioned above, consistently calling hand-checking or the block/foul really affects game-flow.

Last edited:
When in doubt go with the NBA rules which are fantastic.

I would make the lane wider. At least double the no-charge ARC, and institute a defensive 5 second call. Unfortunately for us that rule would kill the 2-3 zone, but its the right rule. Amazing athletes play basketball and those athletes should be on display, but planting a 7 footer in the paint in front if the basket really limits what athletes can do both offensively and defensively.

They could start by calling fouls. When a guy impedes, holds or hits another guy, it's a foul. If he's trying to shoot, it's in the act of shooting, not if he takes an extra step or two and then gets off his shot. (I'm a no-continuation purist. That's an NBA rule.)

All these complicated interpretations of how a charge or a block or an illegal screen should be called are all hooey.

Common sense. We knew the difference between a block and a charge on the playground when we were kids. It's no different now.

You need to be in position first, not sliding in. You have to have your defensive position before the guy starts his shot.

If you undercut a guy who has already begun his motion, that's a block, whether you get your feet set or not, because the shooter is entitled to land.

Let's return to common sense officiating, and that will do most of what we need.
1549897002180.jpeg

AMEN!

No more hand checking the player with the ball. This by itself would add 20 points to every game. It’s crazy how a guy trying to dribble drive (or even just move along the perimeter) gets pushed and slapped at with no call.

Your cousin took a charge in a pickup game? Was he wearing a Battier jersey?
whether he committed a charge or steve b. made a block was in dispute. steve's left cross settled it the old fashioned way. no need to go to replay

Legitimate question:

It used to be the case that contact was a foul. After all, basketball's a non-contact sport.

At some point the criterion changed from contact to advantage/disadvantage.

That's insane. Refs can't get simple stuff right and now they're supposed to be making subjective analyses on the fly?

Simplify things. Contact is a foul. Players will learn real fast. Teams will score points. Refs will be able to focus on more complicated things. Everyone wins.

Four point line!-j/k. Can't stand the idea actually, but has been discussed before.

Legitimate question:

It used to be the case that contact was a foul. After all, basketball's a non-contact sport.

That's insane. Refs can't get simple stuff right and now they're supposed to be making subjective analyses on the fly?

Simplify things. Contact is a foul. Players will learn real fast. Teams will score points. Refs will be able to focus on more complicated things. Everyone wins.

Cowtown would then say games would take 3 hours and you would watch a FT fest.

No, players would stop fouling.

I know offense is not as great as it used to be, but I think the "problem" is not as bad as it truly is because us as Syracuse fans have had such a drastic change from a awesome, exciting flowing offense to the slop that we see now.

Last edited:
Ban the practice of permitting an offense to just weave the ball among three players at the top of the three point line without making any effort at penetration and waiting for a last second heave as the shot clock winds down.

my cousin danny has a broken cheekbone that argues otherwise

You shouldn't have lowered your shoulder.
I wasn't even there, and I can see it was an obvious charge! LOL

Legitimate question:

I hear what you're saying, and I think the transition you describe did happen.
I feel like "incidental contact" was always ok within certain bounds. Players would jostle for position in the post, guys set picks and box out for rebounds. So I think it's wrong to imply that all defensive contact was a foul.

So much emphasis on pick-and-roll or pick-and-pop basketball has led to even more physical play, as guys try to barge through a pick rather than go under it and give up an open (screened) 3 point shot. Players attack the defender as much as the basket when they drive the lane. I could go on and on.

But "incidental" contact became swiping for the ball. Then "swiping" became slapping down on the wrist of a guy dribbling the ball. Then it became crowding players in a trap and bending your knees into them to initiate contact and knock them off their dribble.

There has been so much "dirty defense" that should be called fouls, and it has simply become a norm of the (televised) game. The talking heads and instant replays on TV are a big part of what has made a mess of what was a relatively simple game.

No zone defense :)
Defense is not standing still, being in someone's way. Not charge, if you are not defending.
8 -10 second clock on possession by any one player
8 second back court call
time out does not re-start the back court count
Dunks are 3 points :)
If you throw the ball off of a guy and he is out of bounds, it is out of bounds off you. (Its really the same as throwing it off the floor, or a fan... all are already out of bounds. If you throw it off of the ref, isn't it out of bounds off of you?)
No body checking or had checking
Second defenders undercutting players is 2 shots and the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom