What do we know about Elijah Hughes? | Syracusefan.com

What do we know about Elijah Hughes?

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
i want to hear all the info.

Intriguing player that vould put us over the edge.

I’d be happy if he turns out to be Mike Gbinije part deux

Not a bad comp.
We’d totally take that in a heartbeat.

It’s very unlikely he’s Wes 2.0;
but “they” say he’s great in practice, so -
dare to dream?

Not much is known about Elijah Hughes, our 6-6, 220lb SG/SF transfer from East Carolina.

From a cursory look at his stats, his averages of 7.8 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.3 apg in 20.5 mpg are ok, not great. His shooting percentages were less than great: 349% FG, 273% 3PT, 684% FT. And the level of competition he played while at East Carolina can be questioned.

However, a closer look into these stats & his background provide better information.

JR in High School (Kennedy Catholic):

Hughes averages 15.7 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 5.4 apg on a team that goes 26-2.

Considered a late bloomer, he commits to East Carolina in summer of 2015. He then transfers to South Kent Prep for Senior year.

SR in High School (South Kent Prep):

He goes up against Hamidou Diallo (Kentucky G who has NBA potential) and gets 24 points in his team's 90-67 win vs Putnam. Diallo is held to 4 points.

FR in College (East Carolina):

Prior to start of practice in early November, Hughes "pretty much broke my foot" - a stress fracture that would keep him out 8 games and slowed his progress right out of the gate. Hughes struggled to get back into game shape afterwards, having gained weight.

The numbers for his year at East Carolina are very interesting. Hughes starts well, goes into a serious slump mid-to-late season, then re-emerges at very end.

Games 1-13 at East Carolina:

Hughes averages 9.3 ppg his first 13 games at East Carolina.

In fact, he was moved into starting lineup for game 11, and in games 11-13 he averaged 14.7 ppg on 405% FG.

Games 14-23 at East Carolina:

Hughes then goes into an extended slump and lost his starting role, averaging 4.1 ppg in games 14-23. This is described by one AAC scout as a "typical Freshman roller-coaster."

Games 24-25 at East Carolina - American Athletic Conf Tournament:

Hughes picked up his game at a critical juncture, in time for his team's participation in their Conf Tournament.

Hughes averages 16 points per game on 588% FG and 667% 3PT for these two games (against Temple and 30-5 SMU).

Averages vs NCAA Tournament Teams:

So, can it be concluded that Hughes did well against the cupcake portion of the schedule & then struggled when it got to tough, conference play? No, that is not the case.

In fact, here are Hughes averages from the 5 games he played against teams that made the NCAA Tournament (29-6 UNC Wilm, 30-5 SMU, Cinci, SMU, SMU): 11.8 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 0.8 apg on 370% FG

Quotes about his game:

From a recent article on Hughes progress (on Feb 1, 2018) here are some of the quotes about his game:

SU Coaches & Matt Moyer: "Big, physical guard who can score in bunches & make plays for teammates."

G-Mac: "Ability to shoot. Ability to create offense. Can go & create his own shot. Able to shoot, handle & create w/size, speed & strength."

Devo & G-Mac: "Want to see more consistency in his stroke. Can go stretches where he gets really hot."

Conclusion:

So, does Cuse have itself a diamond in the rough who was obscured by fact that he was a late bloomer in high school (thus, why he went to East Carolina) who was injured & had a typical "up & down" Freshman year?

I skew positive on these things, so I say "yes." Others may reach a different conclusion, and that's fine. That's why they play the games! We will all find out soon enough (although, not soon enough for me.)

Prediction:

I think Hughes continues JB's vaunted track record of success with transfers (regular, not Grad, following guys like Chukwu, Gbinije, Wes Johnson, Ryan Blackwell & even Leo Rautins), and Hughes becomes a key player for us next season (averaging maybe 10-12 ppg with a "normal" amount of mins - like 30ish).

In addition, I also see Hughes becoming a source of stability the next 3 years, giving us exactly what we always seem to need: offense; a guy who can create for himself and others who is also a good shooter while providing JB options to play him at SG or SF. (Provided he stays all 3 years...I know, I know, he gone! But seriously...if he shows skills as a 6-6 SG...meh.)

I am excited to see what Elijah Hughes' Syracuse future holds. I think people discount what he may provide next year...and rightly so, as Hughes has thus far failed to "prove" it to anyone.

I think it’s Moyer cause they played together at Kent
I probably got the story mixed up then. I think it was Moyer, now, who sold JB on Hughes or at least put in the good word.

I probably got the story mixed up then. I think it was Moyer, now, who sold JB on Hughes or at least put in the good word.

Kind of. Boeheim liked Hughes from the elite camp, but we didn't have a scholarship and were chasing other players. By the time Boeheim wanted to offer, Hughes had already committed to ECU.

So when Hughes wanted to transfer, JB was receptive due to that history, moreso than Moyer recommending him.

Not much is known about Elijah Hughes, our 6-6, 220lb SG/SF transfer from East Carolina.

From a cursory look at his stats, his averages of 7.8 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.3 apg in 20.5 mpg are ok, not great. His shooting percentages were less than great: 349% FG, 273% 3PT, 684% FT. And the level of competition he played while at East Carolina can be questioned.

However, a closer look into these stats & his background provide better information.

JR in High School (Kennedy Catholic):

Hughes averages 15.7 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 5.4 apg on a team that goes 26-2.

Considered a late bloomer, he commits to East Carolina in summer of 2015. He then transfers to South Kent Prep for Senior year.

SR in High School (South Kent Prep):

He goes up against Hamidou Diallo (Kentucky G who has NBA potential) and gets 24 points in his team's 90-67 win vs Putnam. Diallo is held to 4 points.

FR in College (East Carolina):

Prior to start of practice in early November, Hughes "pretty much broke my foot" - a stress fracture that would keep him out 8 games and slowed his progress right out of the gate. Hughes struggled to get back into game shape afterwards, having gained weight.

The numbers for his year at East Carolina are very interesting. Hughes starts well, goes into a serious slump mid-to-late season, then re-emerges at very end.

Games 1-13 at East Carolina:

Hughes averages 9.3 ppg his first 13 games at East Carolina.

In fact, he was moved into starting lineup for game 11, and in games 11-13 he averaged 14.7 ppg on 405% FG.

Games 14-23 at East Carolina:

Hughes then goes into an extended slump and lost his starting role, averaging 4.1 ppg in games 14-23. This is described by one AAC scout as a "typical Freshman roller-coaster."

Games 24-25 at East Carolina - American Athletic Conf Tournament:

Hughes picked up his game at a critical juncture, in time for his team's participation in their Conf Tournament.

Hughes averages 16 points per game on 588% FG and 667% 3PT for these two games (against Temple and 30-5 SMU).

Averages vs NCAA Tournament Teams:

So, can it be concluded that Hughes did well against the cupcake portion of the schedule & then struggled when it got to tough, conference play? No, that is not the case.

In fact, here are Hughes averages from the 5 games he played against teams that made the NCAA Tournament (29-6 UNC Wilm, 30-5 SMU, Cinci, SMU, SMU): 11.8 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 0.8 apg on 370% FG

Quotes about his game:

From a recent article on Hughes progress (on Feb 1, 2018) here are some of the quotes about his game:

SU Coaches & Matt Moyer: "Big, physical guard who can score in bunches & make plays for teammates."

G-Mac: "Ability to shoot. Ability to create offense. Can go & create his own shot. Able to shoot, handle & create w/size, speed & strength."

Devo & G-Mac: "Want to see more consistency in his stroke. Can go stretches where he gets really hot."

Conclusion:

So, does Cuse have itself a diamond in the rough who was obscured by fact that he was a late bloomer in high school (thus, why he went to East Carolina) who was injured & had a typical "up & down" Freshman year?

I skew positive on these things, so I say "yes." Others may reach a different conclusion, and that's fine. That's why they play the games! We will all find out soon enough (although, not soon enough for me.)

Prediction:

I think Hughes continues JB's vaunted track record of success with transfers (regular, not Grad, following guys like Chukwu, Gbinije, Wes Johnson, Ryan Blackwell & even Leo Rautins), and Hughes becomes a key player for us next season (averaging maybe 10-12 ppg with a "normal" amount of mins - like 30ish).

In addition, I also see Hughes becoming a source of stability the next 3 years, giving us exactly what we always seem to need: offense; a guy who can create for himself and others who is also a good shooter while providing JB options to play him at SG or SF. (Provided he stays all 3 years...I know, I know, he gone! But seriously...if he shows skills as a 6-6 SG...meh.)

I am excited to see what Elijah Hughes' Syracuse future holds. I think people discount what he may provide next year...and rightly so, as Hughes has thus far failed to "prove" it to anyone.
Looks powerful like Dion

How much of a late bloomer? What he did as a frosh (especially against NCAA tournament teams and in his last two games) is promising, and with two years of year over year improvement there is reason to expect a big step up.
Did not rebound much at East Carolina, or create much for teammates (low numbers in rebounds and assists). At prep school (South Kent), Moyer was the better player (all-league, top scorer for team), Hughes the side-kick. So, has he developed more than Moyer, and also found ways to contribute on the boards, and create for teammates? Did he outshine Moyer in practices?

How much of a late bloomer? What he did as a frosh (especially against NCAA tournament teams and in his last two games) is promising, with year over year improvement (2 off-seasons).
Did not rebound much at East Carolina, and create much for teams (low numbers in rebounds and assists). At prep school (South Kent), Moyer was the better player (all-league, top scorer for team), Hughes the side-kick. So, has he developed more than Moyer, and also found ways to contribute on the boards, and create for teammates? Did he outshine Moyer in practices?
Reports are Hughes and Battle had very, very competitive battles in practice this year. That’d lead me to believe hes levels more effective at the ACC level than Moyer currently is.

JB was actually watching a South Kent game or games with Gmac and I guess he really liked Hughes and was high on his potential, but we had already signed Battle at SG.

I'd guess that he'll be an average or better defender, who will draw a decent amount of FTs, with a high usage and more assists than turnovers as a 2G. That's a pretty strong skill set if a player can shoot.

As an injured frosh, Hughes shot poorly overall (35%) , from 3 (27%) and at the line (68%). If he's a substantially improved shooter, that would seem to be a good player, maybe an ACC quality starter. Unfortunately, he does have a low floor if his shoot is simply poor, he might even be behind Washington if Hughes' frosh numbers are taken at face value without considering injury or redshirt improvement. High variance and upside I'd hope, given his length in the zone and the team's need for shooters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom