What does SU need to do in ACC to secure a spot in the East Region? | Syracusefan.com

What does SU need to do in ACC to secure a spot in the East Region?

NFGenROC

Walk On
ESPN Bracketology the consensus was SU is a #3 seed in the Midwest. CBS has them #2 in the East. So clearly a difference in opinions.

As everyone knows a spot in the East Regional means "home" court at MSG for sweet 16 and elite 8. Huge advantage.

Do we have to win the entire ACC tourney to be assured of a spot in the East? Would a trip to the finals via beating Duke in the semis be enough? Or do folks think merely a win against NC State and a close loss to Duke would still get us there.

The problem is what seed we get and who are the other teams in the East. If Nova is not the 1 in the East and say Wisconsin gets the one and Nova gets the 2, then we would want to win tonight, lose tomorrow and get the East 3 seed. If Wisky and Nova are 1/2 in the East and we win 2 games in the ACCT, we may get a 2 seed in another region and Duke would get the 3 in NYC.
The only way to secure MSG would be to win the ACCT. We would be guaranteed either the 1 or 2 in NYC if we win the ACCT no matter what anyone else does this weekend.

It's crazy to me that Villanova is a sure thing for a high #2 even after the loss yesterday. That really hurts our MSG chances if they have a higher seed than us. Unless the committee is willing to have a Villanova vs. SU 2/3 sweet sixteen matchup. Don't think they are smart enough to take advantage of that though.

It's crazy to me that Villanova is a sure thing for a high #2 even after the loss yesterday. That really hurts our MSG chances if they have a higher seed than us. Unless the committee is willing to have a Villanova vs. SU 2/3 sweet sixteen matchup. Don't think they are smart enough to take advantage of that though.
Don't be so sure. The committee loves to do things like this. I can see Nantz and Kellogg on Sunday saying "and look at that potential Sweet 16 matchup in the East - Syracuse/Villanova at MSG, just like the old days." That is one reason why I think it is very likely that Syracuse and Pitt will be matched up with former BE schools in the second round. Lunardi himself has SU/Uconn in round 2 in Buffalo. (for the record, I refuse to call the round of 32 the 3rd round).

I think us winning would be enough if Duke/Virg both lost day one. the question is if Vill and SU are both 2's who stays east? if we get to the ACC finals then the loser of duke/su/virg probably gets sent someplace..

If we want to lock up MSG we need to get to the ACC Final. I think if we beat Duke 2 out of 3 and lost to UVA our schedule would be deemed harder and even though UVA would have beaten us twice would be behind us.
If we get to Sunday we are the 2 seed in the East, if we lose to Duke we are the 3 seed probably in the West because I think Louisville will be the 3 seed in the Midwest and with Duke/UVA in the South/East we would get shipped out West.

Lunardi is underseeding Syracuse and UConn right. We are a 2 seed right now and UConn is a 5 seed. We won't play them unless it would be in the sweet 16 or elite 8.

If we want to lock up MSG we need to get to the ACC Final. I think if we beat Duke 2 out of 3 and lost to UVA our schedule would be deemed harder and even though UVA would have beaten us twice would be behind us.
If we get to Sunday we are the 2 seed in the East, if we lose to Duke we are the 3 seed probably in the West because I think Louisville will be the 3 seed in the Midwest and with Duke/UVA in the South/East we would get shipped out West.
What if Wisky gets the East 1 and Nova gets the East 2. Can we get the East 3 with UVA and Duke being 2 seeds in other regions?

What if Wisky gets the East 1 and Nova gets the East 2. Can we get the East 3 with UVA and Duke being 2 seeds in other regions?
Nova F'ed themselves out the East region. Duke or Syracuse will be the 2 seed in the East, and Syracuse won the ACCT I think that is Nova's only chance at the 2 seed in the East.

I wanted Nova to win yesterday for the scenario you described above, but people got caught up in Pirate fever and rooted for the upset. Nova's making the BET final was a backdoor way into getting MSG as a 3 seed. Now with Nova losing they won't be above the Duke-Syracuse winner.

Nova F'ed themselves out the East region. Duke or Syracuse will be the 2 seed in the East, and Syracuse won the ACCT I think that is Nova's only chance at the 2 seed in the East.

I wanted Nova to win yesterday for the scenario you described above, but people got caught up in Pirate fever and rooted for the upset. Nova's making the BET final was a backdoor way into getting MSG as a 3 seed. Now with Nova losing they won't be above the Duke-Syracuse winner.
I was rooting for Nova for the same reason. However, now that Nova has lost, the possibly of the East 1 is available if we win out.

Winning tonight probably locks up msg winning tommorow certainly would. We have a top 4/5 resume right now IMO.

I hate to agree but your comment is realistic in my opinion.

I have to think winning out and finishing the year 30-4 gets us the 1 in the East, regardless of what anyone else does. We would most likely have to have beaten Duke and then UNC or UVA.

I'd like to say getting to the finals or semi-finals at least gets us the 2 in the East.

Lose tonight and I think it's a total crap shoot.

I wonder how many teams have won 20+ in a row in a major conf. ended with 4 losses in season and were ranked #1 and started the conf tourney hoping to get a 3 seed with ?

For me to be completely confident we're in the East, win today and tomorrow.

Good scenario feedback from everyone. Another monkey wrench is the rule that you can't have 2 teams from the same conference in the top 3 seeds of a regional. So if Duke or Virginia win the ACCT, they'd be the #1 seed in the East and 'Nova would be a lock #2, meaning SU would ship out to the Midwest.

Based on this I'm leaning towards SU needing to win the ACCT in order to get into the East. Only way to get in as a #2 is if UNC or PITT were to pull the upset and win the ACCT.

Good scenario feedback from everyone. Another monkey wrench is the rule that you can't have 2 teams from the same conference in the top 3 seeds of a regional. So if Duke or Virginia win the ACCT, they'd be the #1 seed in the East and 'Nova would be a lock #2, meaning SU would ship out to the Midwest.

Based on this I'm leaning towards SU needing to win the ACCT in order to get into the East. Only way to get in as a #2 is if UNC or PITT were to pull the upset and win the ACCT.

Yeah, this is pretty much where I'm at too. It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out. As of now, I have us as the #7 team based on resume, but obviously I have no say in where we actually go lol.

After losing to maryland I think virginia has a two as their ceiling.

The Minnesota-Wisconsin game is becoming the second most important game for Syracuse tonight. Let's go Gophers!

win tonight and tomorrow if duke wins tonight we should be golden for at worst 2 in east since I don't see nova being above us if we beat duke again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom