What happened to the corner trap!? | Syracusefan.com

What happened to the corner trap!?

Niastri

Two Time Iggy Award Winner: Edwards for Three!
Once upon a time, we used the corner trap to such great effect our opponents couldn't even pass to the corner for fear of a fast break the other way.

I just watched three plays in a few minutes where the trap was set and the Pitt ball handler was dead in the water. Naturally, each time an easy pass for a layup was made. Is the trapping pair just not effective? Or is the guard failing to react to the pass effectively out of the trap? What went wrong with what used to be a terrific weapon?

Once upon a time, we used the corner trap to such great effect our opponents couldn't even pass to the corner for fear of a fast break the other way.

I just watched three plays in a few minutes where the trap was set and the Pitt ball handler was dead in the water. Naturally, each time an easy pass for a layup was made. Is the trapping pair just not effective? Or is the guard failing to react to the pass effectively out of the trap? What went wrong with what used to be a terrific weapon?
Too slow to get there.

Last edited:
To slow to get there.
All three times I'm referring to occurred after the trap was set. I understand our guys are often too slow to get it set a lot of the time.

All three times I'm referring to occurred after the trap was set. I understand our guys are often too slow to get it set a lot of the time.
Yes I know what you mean, but by the time the defenders get there he’s already knowing where his teammates are and his heads up. Before it would collapse before he could make a decision or locate their teammates.

I see... My guess is that the guys trapping just aren't active enough. No hands in your face, not threatening the ball enough.

Your contention is they are late enough to arrive that there is no "shock and awe" from the trap as a result?

I see... My guess is that the guys trapping just aren't active enough. No hands in your face, not threatening the ball enough.

Your contention is they are late enough to arrive that there is no "shock and awe" from the trap as a result?
I’m sure teams know it’s coming, they have an extra second than they have before, they’re almost always passing out of it before our guys can apply the pressure while on the ball handler.

It’s the guards standing still. Every time. Neither of them has the ability to anticipate where the pass might go, and lord knows they’re not quick enough to react when someone cuts.

I noticed it too. The trap is too passive. It isn’t that they have time to know where teammates are before the trap is sprung. When a trap is set everyone else is responsible for getting into denial mode. They leave the farthest player open. The trap is not tight or active enough.

Our guards and forwards have "cement" feet.

Which reminds me of the basketball scene in Movie 43, not the most politically correct movie but that scene is hilarious. There is a player on the White Knight team that looks like young JB.

Our guards and forwards have "cement" feet.

Which reminds me of the basketball scene in Movie 43, not the most politically correct movie but that scene is hilarious. There is a player on the White Knight team that looks like young JB.
I’ve posted it here and I took a vacation for it. Very fitting but not board appropriate.

I’ve posted it here and I took a vacation for it. Very fitting but not board appropriate.

Yes I thought about including a link, but I didn't because it could land me in hot water hahaha.

Tough to trap when your forwards are responsible for guarding wing threes 25 feet from the basket.

Tough to trap when your forwards are responsible for guarding wing threes 25 feet from the basket.
The trap is usually Edwards and a forward. I notice the guards fail to get the cutter going to the basket, and the weak side forward is to far to stop the move as well.

It seems every element of an effective trap is broken?

The trap is usually Edwards and a forward. I notice the guards fail to get the cutter going to the basket, and the weak side forward is to far to stop the move as well.

It seems every element of an effective trap is broken?

Yeah - NONE of the other 3 guys not in the trap, EVER jump to where the anticipated pass will likely go.

They cover-ish a guy in their general area, and then...
kinda just stay there, while opponents move around, and somebody comes open - often going right to the rim.

So, instead of forcing a bad pass or getting a steal, we give up an ez layup, while our rim protector is still over in the corner unable to contest in the paint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom