What has to worry College Basketball fans | Syracusefan.com

What has to worry College Basketball fans

Alsacs

Living Legend
The sport unlike College football is seeing the sport decompose.
College basketball in the 80s/90s/early 00s was so much better played.
The quality of the game has gone down as well. The PG play has deteriorated in the country.
The regular season in college hoops is just boring.
College football is going thru changes but the sport is growing more popular. College basketball has more parity but the sport's popularity has gone down.

I think they are going to change the rule to be like baseball. Either you go straight to the NBA or go to college. It will help a lot of schools because Duke and UK won't be able to monopolize all the top talent.

The D League needs to pay a living wage for starters.

The players association(lead by Melo)has been pushing for it, but they will have to give up something somewhere.

You have pointed out the obvious correlation, with each succeeding decade, more and more kids left early, thus "degrading" the over all aspects of the college game. The NCAA is powerless. Its up to the NBA. I do have one suggestion, and I don't know if it'll work. Make scholarships a two year thing, at least for the first 2 years. A school gives player A a scholarship and it counts towards the allotted total for 2 years. Give 5 one-n-dones a scholarship and if they leave after the freshmen year, the school only has 8 ships to staff a team the 2nd year. The idea is to try and get some of the more active schools (notably Kentucky and Duke) stop loading up. Even the next level schools may concentrate on kids who may tend to stay at least 2 years.

I think a number of teams are learning they can't support a one and done culture like Kentucky and Kansas. CBB will see change in the upcoming years.

I think they are going to change the rule to be like baseball. Either you go straight to the NBA or go to college. It will help a lot of schools because Duke and UK won't be able to monopolize all the top talent.
if the NBA cared about college hoop, they'd do that.

But they don't care.

They have a minor league and are comfortable with their 'star' system.

The NFL uses college as its minor league and welcomes its 'stars' to the league.

Watching some fail is somewhat interesting.

The number of unfulfilled #1 picks in the NBA has got to be astonishing.

Hell, Syracuse alone could likely fill a team in last decade or so.

The sport unlike College football is seeing the sport decompose.
College basketball in the 80s/90s/early 00s was so much better played.
The quality of the game has gone down as well. The PG play has deteriorated in the country.
The regular season in college hoops is just boring.
College football is going thru changes but the sport is growing more popular. College basketball has more parity but the sport's popularity has gone down.
I don't agree. The sport of football is deteriorating the more we know about concussions. Kids are playing it less and less unlike basketball. College basketball is still extremely entertaining in my opinion. To each their own.

if the NBA cared about college hoop, they'd do that.

But they don't care.

They have a minor league and are comfortable with their 'star' system.

The NFL uses college as its minor league and welcomes its 'stars' to the league.

Watching some fail is somewhat interesting.

The number of unfulfilled #1 picks in the NBA has got to be astonishing.

Hell, Syracuse alone could likely fill a team in last decade or so.

Did you hear what Silver said Friday? That's the only reason I posted that.

the fact that those two teams that played last night are in the mix for an NCAA bid tells you all you need to know about the state of college basketball. Their ineptness was our best player last night.

No. What he say??

I've had limited news knowledge this weekend.

Sounded like Silver was in favor of moving the age up to 20 but the union wanted it down to 18 if I remember right?

If attendance is any indication college football has seen better days..

College football attendance in 2016: Crowds decline for sixth straight year

College football attendance in 2016: Crowds decline for sixth straight year

The home experience is just so much better and hastle free. As far as less kids playing true but the kids dropping out probably were never gonna be high level prospects anyway. Parents seem to be making pragmatic decisions on that one.

The players association(lead by Melo)has been pushing for it, but they will have to give up something somewhere.
This is one of those places where the owners are real jerkstores.

The NBA is making money hand over fist. The owners rake.

But, you know, if they're going to compensate D-League players better, well, what's the player's union giving up?

The NBA is one of the few pro leagues where 18-19 year old kids can step in and start for a team. There's no reason to move the age up to 20 except that the NBA likes their minor league system and the players union doesn't want veterans losing jobs to young whippersnappers.

I think the NBA could easily add another two-to-four teams and as many as six if they get creative.

It's in the NCAA's best interest to have players stick around at least two years, and it's in the NCAA's long-term best interest to allow teams to give players a stipend (aka salary) of some sort. The NCAA probably has a little more power here than people realize, and should be looking for creative solutions rather than ignoring the problem. I'm just spitballing here, but here's a random creative idea:

1. All players who commit on scholarship must stay out of the NBA Draft for two years or pay a hefty exit penalty.

2. From the end of a player's first year onward, schools will provide a stipend for offseason training/coaching/nutrition to all players who request it. Nobody employed by an NCAA school could be the trainer/coach/nutritionist, though, to avoid schools running their own offseason programs. The idea here is to close the gap between how much a player can improve in college and as a pro.

3. Players who come back for a third, fourth or fifth year can receive a stipend that is equal to 100%, 150% and 200% of the NBA D-League's maximum salary, as long as they remain in good academic standing. (That'd currently be 25K, 37.5K, 50K).

4. All players receive X% of money made directly off their likeness (jerseys, t-shirts, memorabilia, autographs, etc).

5. Players may use their own likeness to profit during the offseason (autographs, appearances, etc), or through approved vendors year-round.

Basically, you get more of a commitment from the players to start, enhance the benefits they get, and try to make the risk/reward relationship for leaving vs. staying a little different.

Sounded like Silver was in favor of moving the age up to 20 but the union wanted it down to 18 if I remember right?

NBA age minimum worth a review, commish says

I kind of read this as the opposite... that Silver is admitting this one-and-done system is not working well with kids not even bothering to go to class. He seems to not be pushing directly for changing it to an age limit of 20 anymore (which the union wouldn't agree to at least until 7 years in next CBA with concessions) but instead may be open to changing it to 18 and getting rid of the one-and-done while (speculating) perhaps locking kids in for 2 years if they don't go straight to the NBA / NBADL... closer to the college baseball system I think.

The NBADL also has now allowed for 75k 2-way contracts though most of the league still does not seem to make a living wage. I think if they let high school kids go straight to the NBA / NBADL they would probably increase the number of those 2-way contracts since more kids would need more developmental time.

Oh please please please PLEASE!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom