What I don’t get about Buddy | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

What I don’t get about Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a weird day for this thread. Buddy played very well last night, and if it weren't for he and Kadary, we would have lost by 40.

All season I've been hoping JB would ride the backcourt combo that was hot, and that's largely what he did last night (he should have yanked Girard earlier after that 35 foot no-conscience heave, but there are different rules for different players).

Buddy plays too many minutes and takes too many shots. Those facts are in evidence. But that's not changing, and last night he was good.
Exactly. I tend to not comment on Buddy in general. I'm basically ambivalent. But this thread, to show up right now, is really weird. Buddy has been superb the last two games. Like, production wise, you couldn't ask for more from your shooting guard. His line from last night of 21 pts on 8-15 shooting, 5-9 on threes, 4 boards, 4 ast, 2 stl - that's a helluva all around game.
I mean, come on. There's a time for criticism but right now isn't it.

Sure seems like it. I know he has outside interests, but seems like it's his whole identity now and I'm not sure how well he would do without that identity as coach
My absolute nightmare scenario is that one of the assistants takes over and that he's always in the background causing issues and not letting things move on.

Exactly. I tend to not comment on Buddy in general. I'm basically ambivalent. But this thread, to show up right now, is really weird. Buddy has been superb the last two games. Like, production wise, you couldn't ask for more from your shooting guard. His line from last night of 21 pts on 8-15 shooting, 5-9 on threes, 4 boards, 4 ast, 2 stl - that's a helluva all around game.
I haven’t been able to watch hardly any games. This thread is a result of me in a freezer stacking ice creams just thinking about the background of buddy being here and roster depth

He went 3-3 with 8 pts in the final 2 mins of a game they were down 20 in. If he was pulled and backups were in like they should have been, 13 pts on 5-12, 3-7 in 33 mins is blah. We don't live in a world of ifs but the garbage time stuff drastically alters what occurred in any of the meaningful minutes if there were any past the under 16 media TO in the 1st half.

My absolute nightmare scenario is that one of the assistants takes over and that he's always in the background causing issues and not letting things move on.
hey ucon won another ring that way!

hey ucon won another ring that way!

shabazz GIF by SB Nation

While I agree with much of this, I think that Buddy has shown that he can use his height advantage and back-down dribble to get into the lane and shoot over shorter guards. He does that several times every game. So I don't think it's accurate to say he can't handle or get to the rim.
This isn’t true. It doesn’t happen several times every game. It happens when he recognizes he’s being guarded by a much smaller guy. That doesn’t happen every game.

I don't think the cat is saying that Kadray shouldn't start. I think he is saying that Buddy is better than the board thinks he is. I know I have said that. On both counts. If people didn't know that the back court should be Buddy and Kadray after last night, I don't know what to tell you.
I just love the Kadray. Turns 3 syllables into 2. Brevity. Why speak many word when few word do trick.

Agreed. Anybody who doesn't think he could contribute at UNC, UVa, Florida State, etc. isn't being objectively honest.

They would just use him differently, in a way well suited to maximize his contributions. The way he's used here, playing for his dad, causes diminishing returns.
I think Hamilton might actually give me a few mins of court time at FSU based on how he subs

Given the mediocrity of the product we're seeing on the court now, with a HOF coach at the helm, I'm at a loss to understand how anybody would advocate limiting our search to only in-house candidates -- none of whom are in the same stratosphere of being anywhere near as good as the current guy -- as the way to pull out of this tailspin.

To say nothing of the issue that you bring up.

No thanks.

Given the mediocrity of the product we're seeing on the court now, with a HOF coach at the helm, I'm at a loss to understand how anybody would advocate limiting our search to only in-house candidates -- none of whom are in the same stratosphere of being anywhere near as good as the current guy -- as the way to pull out of this tailspin.

To say nothing of the issue that you bring up.

No thanks.
It would be one thing to be Duke and with Coach K having a whole bunch of guys that have come up under him who have had all different levels of success at major programs and in the NBA. We have nothing like that to draw from. Absolutely need to be looking everywhere possible. This program is too gigantic and important to settle in any fashion.

It's tear down Buddy day. I was browsing when I just had to comment.
No halfway objective reasonable thinking person actually believes that Boeheim had to be talked into the idea that Buddy was good enough to play at Syracuse, right? It is a cute story and a useful tool to ward off charges of nepotism for the naive. Buddy is a volume shooter who shoots under 40% overall and about a third of his 3's. He can't handle the ball, can't get to the rim, doesn't create for others and doesn't rebound despite being 6'6". He is painfully bad on defense. He has great shooting form, and in a limited role where he could be a catch and shoot 3 point shooters keeping defenses honest, he'd be a nice 7th man for a top 40ish team.

Instead he plays 35 minutes a night putting up volume stats and hasn't been recruited over because he is the coach's son. But sure, Syracuse couldn't pass up such a talent Good thing the assistants saw the diamond in the rough and convinced the head coach.

With the exception of the percentage, that's just like Klay Thompson. It helps he's been put in a position where he has others that can create shots for him.

Who says he hasn't been recruited over? There's a Basketball Recruiting Board where the number of whiffs are documented for everyone to see. Buddy has been forced into a situation where he needs to make the best of it. A lot of this team's problems would be alleviated if a true 1 was running the team and not a guard like JG at the point. The way this board piles on him, he would have been better off at Gonzaga where what he does bring to the table would be valued and his job would be easier b/c he isn't having Joe Girard distribute the ball to him. With the exception of Mark Few, no one else bothered to offer because they knew it was a waste of an offer. He's a legit D1 player and was one of the better players on that City Rocks team his last AAU year.

His drives are not what many would call typical. He can't drive and finish at the rim against a decent defender. Considering he often gets the other team's best defender, it's even harder for him to do so. So he drives and does his fade away thing.

It's somewhat comical that some believe that Buddy can actually put the ball on the floor. As you implied, what he does isn't typical driving in the sense, but more reminds me what many of us can likely relate to in our youth playing pick up one on one type games in our CNY driveways. That is, using your size advantage (as Buddy does as he typically has a size advantage at 6-6 vs. other 2 guards) with back facing the basket and head down, a few dribbles left, a few dribble right, all while backing up a bit, then doing the aforementioned CNY driveway one on one turnaround J.

When other teams are quick(er) to see this, they double or hedge and easily take him off his mark, usually causing some type of mishap, or an easy steal, etc. If this for some is an ability to put the ball of the floor, than so be it. However, it's a far cry, IMO, from truly being able to put the ball on the floor, beating his defender off the dribble and finishing at the rim, etc.

It's somewhat comical that some believe that Buddy can actually put the ball on the floor. As you implied, what he does isn't typical driving in the sense, but more reminds me what many of us can likely relate to in our youth playing pick up one on one type games in our CNY driveways. That is, using your size advantage (as Buddy does as he typically has a size advantage at 6-6 vs. other 2 guards) with back facing the basket and head down, a few dribbles left, a few dribble right, all while backing up a bit, then doing the aforementioned CNY driveway one on one turnaround J.

When other teams are quick(er) to see this, they double or hedge and easily take him off his mark, usually causing some type of mishap, or an easy steal, etc. If this for some is an ability to put the ball of the floor, than so be it. However, it's a far cry, IMO, from truly being able to put the ball on the floor, beating his defender off the dribble and finishing at the rim, etc.
against N.D., he drove left and got a and one off the glass. Wouldn't that fit your definition of driving to the hoop?

you don't ever see buddy bring the ball up. he just trots to his spot. you are more likely to see marek helping out in the backcourt. buddy has zero handle. as stated he in fact looks awkward trying to dribble.

against N.D., he drove left and got a and one off the glass. Wouldn't that fit your definition of driving to the hoop?
He can work this against smaller, slower guys which isn’t very often.

36% but you probably know that. Rather have him at 51% the last 6 games than not.
And 36% is not bad and 2nd on the team though we know he can do better as evidenced by his 51% the last 6 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom