What I don’t get about Buddy | Syracusefan.com

What I don’t get about Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloridaFan

2020 Cali Award Winner, Aka FloridaHam
Let me start this off by saying I love buddy. I think he is a good player that should get 20-25 on average and be the third guard on a good team. What I do not get is the story of how JB didn’t want him on the team but the Assts convinced him that he was so good. If that’s true then they thought that buddy was better then over 80 other SG’s in the country that year? Buddy wasn’t even a 4 star.

If players of buddy’s HS caliber are what we are targeting then this is what we will continue to see. We have only recruited one player in 2 years to either pass him or back him up. That is very telling that there is supposedly no one out there better then him that wants to or could play here in the last 2 years? It may not be intentional but there is clearly some subliminal favoritism at play and I stand by that. Just because he has hot games doesn’t mean he is irreplaceable.

Edit- I know he had a good game scoring. I want to address everyone but he was the one I started with

Let me start this off by saying I love buddy. I think he is a good player that should get 20-25 on average and be the third guard on a good team. What I do not get is the story of how JB didn’t want him on the team but the Assts convinced him that he was so good. If that’s true then they thought that buddy was better then over 80 other SG’s in the country that year? Buddy wasn’t even a 4 star.

If players of buddy’s HS caliber are what we are targeting then this is what we will continue to see. We have only recruited one player in 2 years to either pass him or back him up. That is very telling that there is supposedly no one out there better then him that wants to or could play here in the last 2 years? It may not be intentional but there is clearly some subliminal favoritism at play and I stand by that. Just because he has hot games doesn’t mean he is irreplaceable.

Edit- I know he had a good game scoring. I want to address everyone but he was the one I started with
I find that story corny and quite embellished by the people who told it. Buddy is good enough to play here, he is an elite shooter who can be a starter here, but he isn’t an alpha, he isn’t a leader, and he isn’t a player who is going to do anything but hit a 3. There is nothing wrong with that, Kyle Korver has made a fortune doing it. Kyle Korver also has never been the best, or top 5 best player on his team.

No halfway objective reasonable thinking person actually believes that Boeheim had to be talked into the idea that Buddy was good enough to play at Syracuse, right? It is a cute story and a useful tool to ward off charges of nepotism for the naive. Buddy is a volume shooter who shoots under 40% overall and about a third of his 3's. He can't handle the ball, can't get to the rim, doesn't create for others and doesn't rebound despite being 6'6". He is painfully bad on defense. He has great shooting form, and in a limited role where he could be a catch and shoot 3 point shooters keeping defenses honest, he'd be a nice 7th man for a top 40ish team.

Instead he plays 35 minutes a night putting up volume stats and hasn't been recruited over because he is the coach's son. But sure, Syracuse couldn't pass up such a talent Good thing the assistants saw the diamond in the rough and convinced the head coach.

I find that story corny and quite embellished by the people who told it. Buddy is good enough to play here, he is an elite shooter who can be a starter here, but he isn’t an alpha, he isn’t a leader, and he isn’t a player who is going to do anything but hit a 3. There is nothing wrong with that, Kyle Korver has made a fortune doing it. Kyle Korver also has never been the best, or top 5 best player on his team.

Korver wasn’t one of the 5 best players at Creighton ? I’ll have what you’re having

#349 in his class according to 247

Not sure I get why he isn't an alpha. He is a good 3 point shooter. He can handle the ball and drive...and has done that all season long. When the team needs a score, he's the go-to. He is not just a 3 point shooter and the team is lucky to have him.

Buddy isn't half the player Kyle Korver was in college. Korver was an AA and not just because he could shoot well. Buddy does one thing well. That's shoot the ball. There is absolutely a spot for that on this roster, but it sure isn't starting and playing 35 MPG. We all like Buddy but come on. He doesn't defend, he doesn't create (for himself or others), he's slow, he doesn't rebound

Not sure I get why he isn't an alpha. He is a good 3 point shooter. He can handle the ball and drive...and has done that all season long. When the team needs a score, he's the go-to. He is not just a 3 point shooter and the team is lucky to have him.
His drives are not what many would call typical. He can't drive and finish at the rim against a decent defender. Considering he often gets the other team's best defender, it's even harder for him to do so. So he drives and does his fade away thing.

His drives are not what many would call typical. He can't drive and finish at the rim against a decent defender. Considering he often gets the other team's best defender, it's even harder for him to do so. So he drives and does his fade away thing.
LOL I think you're being generous with the definition of driving when it comes to Buddy

LOL I think you're being generous with the definition of driving when it comes to Buddy
I am, but you get my point. He's not a driver like Kadary is. But Buddy occasionally can take a few dribbles to get to the foul line or so and pull up for a jumper. Like I said, he's not the traditional drive and finish at the rim type of player, and never will be. Even with another summer of lockdown with Devo, he'll never have that quick first step and ability to finish with both hands.

I am, but you get my point. He's not a driver like Kadary is. But Buddy occasionally can take a few dribbles to get to the foul line or so and pull up for a jumper. Like I said, he's not the traditional drive and finish at the rim type of player, and never will be. Even with another summer of lockdown with Devo, he'll never have that quick first step and ability to finish with both hands.
Sorry, I was just having some fun with it. You are 100% correct.

it’s almost like JB told his assistants not to recruit someone at Buddy’s position until his junior-senior year of college.

except they recruited
  • Carey a very highly rated combo guard
  • Goodine who was a highly rated combo
  • Girard a shooting guard by nature
  • Kadary
Now you can say we blew it in our recruiting evaluation of Carey and Goodine (and that is likely the case based on what they are doing at their new homes). However, they were recruited with the expectation that they would be very good players and get significant time.

Cuse

He scores inside. He does it like Josh Pace and Billy Edelin did. Style points don't really matter.

except they recruited
  • Kadary
Now you can say we blew it in our recruiting evaluation of Carey and Goodine (and that is likely the case based on what they are doing at their new homes). However, they were recruited with the expectation that they would be very good players and get significant time.

Cuse

EXACTLY THIS.

Buddy got a ton of run as a Frosh due to injuries, NOT due to nepotism.
And then, he shot REALLY well in ACC play, so it sorta validated his playing.

As a Soph, we also had Carey, Goodine, and HoWash, along with JGIII.
EVERYBODY assumed that Joe would be the odd man out (along with Washington), and that Carey and Goodine would be the starting backcourt.

But we all know how that went down, Joe broke thru, the other guys all mostly sucked, and they all left.

This year, Kadary should have put Joe on the bench, and then Joe could come in to back up BOTH Buddy and Kadary. But JB refuses to NOT play Buddy for ALL THE MINUTES.
As witnessed by his playing the 3, when we've got SEVERAL OTHER FORWARDS who actually are FORWARDS who can likely rebound and defend the position better.

This wasn't some fever dream conspiracy by JB to give his kid all the PT.

But now that we're here, he refuses to adjust to the fact that we do indeed have OTHER guys who could give us some valuable minutes here and there, and both Jackson and the team would be better served with him playing 25-30 minutes a game, and not 35-40.

except they recruited
  • Kadary

Cuse
You just listed 4 guys that were recruited to play PG next to Buddy. Please try again.

As of right now, in conference play, Buddy is

8th in scoring (15.5 ppg)
1st in 3P FGs/game
16th in assists/game
6th in assists/turnover ratio
9th in steals/game

To be fair, he is also 5th in the conference in minutes/game, which helps him pile up good stats. But anyone who thinks he is only a shooter doesn't understand basketball.

He scores inside. He does it like Josh Pace and Billy Edelin did. Style points don't really matter.
He does not score inside. He simply can't. The best you will get from him inside the arc is a fadeaway or off-balance chuck because he gets shutdown due to being too slow and not strong enough. Buddy is what he is. I've said it before and I stick to it. Buddy has a role on this team. He's a very good shooter that should be getting 18-20 minutes a game coming off the bench. Unfortunately, he gets 35+ a game and provides no value other than his shooting.

1st in 3P FGs/game
16th in assists/game
9th in steals/game

To be fair, he is also 5th in the conference in minutes/game, which helps him pile up good stats. But anyone who thinks he is only a shooter doesn't understand basketball.
He's a shooter. That's it. He's a compiler of counting stats because he plays 35+ a game. He's averaging 3 assists a game in almost 36 minutes. That's not good. You can't just look at counting stats without context.

except they recruited
  • Kadary

Cuse
Now do the class of 2021. I’ll see it when I believe when we get a class of 2022 SG.

Why do you think Goodine left? He saw a coach in a season where the team wasn’t going to the tournament he couldn’t get development minutes because Buddy and Joe had to play 40+ against Miami in the season finale last year.
I can go back and pull all the 2019-2020 games when was Goodine ever going to develop.

Buddy has a stranglehold on the SG position. He isn’t good enough for that. Too bad this position makes people haters.

1st in 3P FGs/game
16th in assists/game
9th in steals/game

He is also #1 in FGA/Game and 3P FGA/game. He is also last among the top 15 ACC Scorers in FG% and FTA/Game. There is also only 1 other guy in the top 60 in ACC MPG that averages fewer RPG than his 2.2, Kihei Clark.....a 5'9 PG.

He's a shooter. That's it. He's a compiler of counting stats because he plays 35+ a game. He's averaging 3 assists a game in almost 36 minutes. That's not good. You can't just look at counting stats without context.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with this. This is a terrible way to say someone is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom