What I Expect From Syracuse Football: A Community Sound Off | Syracusefan.com

What I Expect From Syracuse Football: A Community Sound Off

DoubleDee

All American
**This WILL NOT be a thread to bash each other, just to express what each of us REALISTICALLY expects from the football program.**

I expect a well oiled machine. Win or lose. Excellence in time management, discipline on the field, good performance in the classroom, and good representation in the community.

I expect to win more than lose. But I expect loses. Because that is realistic.

I expect a decent punter, a decent kicker, and a decent quarterback. I would expect that these positions would like to come pad their stats in a controlled environment. And I expect the ones who are recruiting these positions use that pitch to help bring them in. I assume they do.

I expect traditions. Whether they be old, new, or both. Traditions that did exist seem to have faded. I wish them back although I'm not sure I'll ever see it. It's up to us, and the program, to create new ones.

I expect a bowl game more often than not.

I expect top 25 rankings more often than not. *EDIT* I've come to realize now that this expectation is indeed UNREALISTIC. Not sure what I was thinking. You can add the off and on top 25 ranking to my list of highs that come with the lows.

I expect to be program who consistantly wins 7,8,9 games per season. This will occasionally include 6, maybe even 5. But it may also include the excitement of 10 or 11. And every once in a while, when the stars align just right, a magical '59 or '87 type season. I believe this is a realistic expectation. And as a fan, it's actually what I think I would be most happy with. It's great to have the success of an Alabama, but we have something they haven't had in a long time. A fair amount of loses. And as frustrating as those loses are, they provide us a special thing. Elation. Joy. Overwhelming happiness and excitement when we win. If Alabama goes undefeated and wins the championship, I promise you at this point that they do not feel the same way as we would were we to win it all. Remember how 2018 felt? Remember heading into the Sugar Bowl 11-0? Do you think 2018 would have been so great without the crappy season before it? It sounds ridiculous, I know. Do you think Duke winning the NC feels the same to them as it made us feel when we did it in 2003? Not a chance. Loses and disappointment make the wins and happiness better.

I expect many of you to laugh at my expectations.

Last edited:
I expect a well disciplined team that is solid on all three sides of the ball, proper clock management, and at least six wins every season.

I expect us to get 6 wins and a bowl appearance almost every season, with only occasional hiccups.

Since we play in a Dome, I expect us to excel on offense.

Given these expectations, my fandom has been a struggle for a while.

**This WILL NOT be a thread to bash each other, just to express what each of us REALISTICALLY expects from the football program.**

I expect a well oiled machine. Win or lose. Excellence in time management, discipline on the field, good performance in the classroom, and good representation in the community.

I expect a decent punter, a decent kicker, and a decent quarterback. I would expect that these positions would like to come pad their stats in a controlled environment. And I expect the ones who are recruiting these positions use that pitch to help bring them in. I assume they do.

I expect traditions. Whether they be old, new, or both. Traditions that did exist seem to have faded. I wish them back although I'm not sure I'll ever see it. It's up to us, and the program, to create new ones.

I expect top 25 rankings more often than not.

I expect to be program who consistantly wins 7,8,9 games per season. This will occasionally include 6, maybe even 5. But it may also include the excitement of 10 or 11. And every once in a while, when the stars align just right, a magical '59 or '87 type season. I believe this is a realistic expectation. And as a fan, it's actually what I think I would be most happy with. It's great to have the success of an Alabama, but we have something they haven't had in a long time. A fair amount of loses. And as frustrating as those loses are, they provide us a special thing. Elation. Joy. Overwhelming happiness and excitement when we win. If Alabama goes undefeated and wins the championship, I promise you at this point that they do not feel the same way as we would were we to win it all. Remember how 2018 felt? Remember heading into the Sugar Bowl 11-0? Do you think 2018 would have been so great without the crappy season before it? It sounds ridiculous, I know. Do you think Duke winning the NC feels the same to them as it made us feel when we did it in 2003? Not a chance. Loses and disappointment make the wins and happiness better.

I think the only expectation that is off is the being ranked more often than not.

I want exactly what ADJW said.

A 13th game. If thats a bowl or a shot at the ACC, don't care. Play 12 to play more.

6 wins should always be the minimum.

I can do an occasional 5-7 season based on a schedule, injuries, grads leaving, etc...but it has to be the exception, not the rule.

I expect top 25 rankings more often than not.

Pretty realistic. 6-10 wins and a bowl every year. Next year I hope to see more flash out of the offense. I pray Shrader can develope his arm and his ability to hit his targets. Those targets need to be able to catch the ball better. Tucker is Tucker. He will get his yards. Quite honestly, had play calling been better, he would have led the nation in rushing. Sure, opposing defenses knew he would run the ball and Shrader as well, but think back to the 60's, every team SU played knew who was getting the ball. Davis, Little and Nance, Little and Czonka and so on. They ran the ball well with quarterbacks who were not known for their passing and seldom stopped. So, it can be done.

I don't expect top 25 more often than not. When the stars align, I want special seasons. But when other Northeast schools have their act together, I don't expect to win enough to be consistent about that.

Top 40 more often than not (lots of mathematic rankings out there now, I don't care what writers or coaches think that much)

I want Syracuse to be a little more high variance in their approach. I prefer 8-4 and 3-9 to 6-6 and 6-6. This is where a lot of posters disagree with me. 8-4 is much more fun, 3-9 and 6-6 are both blah. I can't pretend to get that charged up about .500 vs .250. I'll check out either way.

I expect us to be competitive in ACC play. That means a 4-4 record or better each season. Though I would be okay with an occasional 3-5 record.

I expect us to schedule OOC so we are favored to win 3 of the 4 games each season. And to win at least 3 OOC games each season. So we should end up with a minimum of 7 wins a season. Maybe 6 for a bad year.

I expect us to go to a bowl game every season.

I expect a minimum of 7 home games every season.

I expect a spring game, a real spring game, where fans are allowed to attend, the team is split into 2 teams and score is kept, every season.

I expect a weekly coaches TV show where highlights of the previous game are shown, the coach discusses what happened and a discussion on the next opponent is held. This should be an hour long show and include in depth behind the scenes features on players and coaches. Assistant coaches should be guests on the show. As well as players. It is unfathomable to me that we have stopped doing this but competitors like Rutgers, Penn State, Notre Dame (and probably every other school in the ACC) do it, and do it well, with impressive production values.

I expect some kind of presentation to season ticket holders and supporters of the program highlighting the new recruiting class at or near each national letter of intent football recruiting period. It should be an in person event with support for people who can't be in Syracuse that day.

I expect an open practice featuring a scrimmage, as part of each preseason that all season ticket holders are invited to.

I expect us to occasionally have good years, where we get 8-10 wins, get ranked and contend for a major bowl.

I expect us to have good facilities for football (and all other sports). Not the best in the ACC or the country, but middle of the road in the ACC. This includes a state of the art football operations center. Good to hear progress being made on this front.

I expect us to pay a middle of the road (for the ACC) salary to our HC and to our coaching staff. I expect us to have middle staffing levels for football. I expect our recruiting classes to be middle of the road for our conference.

I am okay with the dome as it is currently configured. No expectations for further major improvements. It would be nice to have comfortable individual seating, wider concourses and better food selection at the concession stands (the pee troughs and foot operated hand washers are perfect as is). But none of that is very important to me.

I expect the SUMB to have the size and quality of the other schools in the ACC. It currently does not. Not a jab at the kids in the band or the band director. I think SUAD needs to focus more money and attention on this.

A lot of what I expect are things we used to have that we have lost. The fan base that supports the program deserves better treatment than it is currently getting from SUAD.

Good post. I expect 7 wins every year with the occasional 9-10 win season every 4-5 years.

I want to visit this forum each week during the season and the discussion being about us having a shot a winning this upcoming week, and not a discussion about how we got blown out last week or how the coaching decisions were horrible last week.

I expect us to be competitive in ACC play. That means a 4-4 record or better each season. Though I would be okay with an occasional 3-5 record.

I expect us to schedule OOC so we are favored to win 3 of the 4 games each season. And to win at least 3 OOC games each season. So we should end up with a minimum of 7 wins a season. Maybe 6 for a bad year.

I expect a spring game, a real spring game, where fans are allowed to attend, the team is split into 2 teams and score is kept, every season.

I expect a weekly coaches TV show where highlights of the previous game are shown, the coach discusses what happened and a discussion on the next opponent is held. This should be an hour long show and include in depth behind the scenes features on players and coaches. Assistant coaches should be guests on the show. As well as players. It is unfathomable to me that we have stopped doing this but competitors like Rutgers, Penn State, Notre Dame (and probably every other school in the ACC) do it, and do it well, with impressive production values.

I expect some kind of presentation to season ticket holders and supporters of the program highlighting the new recruiting class at or near each national letter of intent football recruiting period. It should be an in person event with support for people who can't be in Syracuse that day.

I expect an open practice featuring a scrimmage, as part of each preseason that all season ticket holders are invited to.

I expect us to occasionally have good years, where we get 8-10 wins, get ranked and contend for a major bowl.

I expect us to have good facilities for football (and all other sports). Not the best in the ACC or the country, but middle of the road in the ACC. This includes a state of the art football operations center. Good to hear progress being made on this front.

I expect us to pay a middle of the road (for the ACC) salary to our HC and to our coaching staff. I expect us to have middle staffing levels for football. I expect our recruiting classes to be middle of the road for our conference.

I am okay with the dome as it is currently configured. No expectations for further major improvements. It would be nice to have comfortable individual seating, wider concourses and better food selection at the concession stands (the pee troughs and foot operated hand washers are perfect as is). But none of that is very important to me.

I expect the SUMB to have the size and quality of the other schools in the ACC. It currently does not. Not a jab at the kids in the band or the band director. I think SUAD needs to focus more money and attention on this.

A lot of what I expect are things we used to have that we have lost. The fan base that supports the program deserves better treatment than it is currently getting from SUAD.

Everything that’s listed right here

I expect Garrett Shrader to serve all of you a huge heap of crow.

I expect one of Gadsden, Hatcher, Transfer, Williams, Brown, to emerge and Alford to take a step forward.

I expect use of the TE and middle of the field.

I expect better in game decision making.

I don't expect top 25 more often than not. When the stars align, I want special seasons. But when other Northeast schools have their act together, I don't expect to win enough to be consistent about that.

Top 40 more often than not (lots of mathematic rankings out there now, I don't care what writers or coaches think that much)

I want Syracuse to be a little more high variance in their approach. I prefer 8-4 and 3-9 to 6-6 and 6-6. This is where a lot of posters disagree with me. 8-4 is much more fun, 3-9 and 6-6 are both blah. I can't pretend to get that charged up about .500 vs .250. I'll check out either way.

Hmmm..like a 6 season breakdown of this:

5-7, 6-6, 8-4, 5-7, 3-9, 7-5

Would that do it for people?

I expect toughness. A team that punches you in the mouth with their physicality (think No. 5). And, when the team on the other side punches back, you hit back even harder. I expect physicality, but controlled physicality, with no room for Unsp. Conduct penalties and late hits. You line up, kick their you-know-what, then huddle up, and do it again.

And this in particular is essential in this new NIL age.

that kinda sucks.

i want 8 wins or more half the time. I don't really care much what happens the other half.

8 wins seems to be the minimum for will i remember this year as fun at all?

I want half the seasons to be fun.

I expect that we make a bowl game 75 percent of the time, I also expect the University decide if they are in the football business, it appears with facility upgrades they plan to be in the business. I expect to have at least as many coaches as our rivals, I also feel we need to pay coaches a competitive salary, also I know loses will happen and I know blow outs will happen but I don’t think we should expect time management issues, stupid penalties over and over again, and coaching decisions that everyone knows is the wrong choice. Also I expect when you hire an offensive minded coach that shouldn’t be the biggest problem the team has. I also expect a team coming off a bye should be able to win 1 of their last 3 games.

I expect to be

that kinda sucks.

i want 8 wins or more half the time. I don't really care much what happens the other half.

8 wins seems to be the minimum for will i remember this year as fun at all?

I want half the seasons to be fun.
Ok..I gotchu now. I was curious when you said you'd prefer 3-9 and 8-4 rather than two 6-6 seasons. So I was seeing how that would breakdown over 6 years.

Thanks.

In the 90s I felt that SU could compete with anyone in the country. Not that we'd always win, not that we wouldn't take a bad loss every so often, not that injuries or bad fortune wouldn't cause problems. But that if we were healthy we could give just about anyone a game, and win a bunch of 'em.

That's what I expect. Everything else, in terms of records, bowls, and rankings, will work itself out.

Ya I’m never going to a fan fest again. Ridiculous waste of time.Punted and kicked off so much it should have been one of our strengths this year! Not a good way to reach out to the fans…at all!

You've got to get with the program - literally Tomcat. The SU Athletic Dept. needs to create a public liaison office to field common sense suggestions/improvements/reimagining. You have the football insight and acumen to provide the Football Office with a wealth of actionable reconnaissance/info.

Plus we could DM you whenever we SyracuseFan members had an SU Football brainstorm (which we all do quite often). You'd be very busy.

But to the larger point about the SUAD having a community or public member in the office to provide unbiased assessments from an outsider who doesn't fear for their job, might be of great benefit. It might not be welcomed, but it would be instructive for them to hear from their loving and concerned fanbase. You are the man to pop the SUAD bubble!
This motion is presented forthwith.
Any Seconds.
Move to create the Office of Public Football/Basketball Advice.

People here will scoff at this but that would be the 2nd best 6 year period we have had since 1999-2004(39 wins). There is a 35 win grouping with multiple permutations as long as you include 2010-2013 in it as well.

We've been to 1 bowl in 8 years and some folks still wouldn't sign up for 3 in 6? Promise me 3 in the next 6 years and I'm taking it, especially with only 1 really crap year involved in that timespan.

Wow-Please send this to Wildhack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom