What I find very interesting about this recruiting class | Syracusefan.com

What I find very interesting about this recruiting class

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
You'd think with implementing a 3-3-5, there'd be an emphasis on bringing in more DB's and less DL. In actuality, we've brought in 5 DL and only 1 DB to this point. I know we're going to bring in a few more DB's, but it doesn't look like it's a huge emphasis.
This indicates to me 2 things: 1)They must like the DB's on the roster.
2) I have thought our numbers on the lines have been low the last couple of years-We need more competition there. Looks like TW agrees.

IIRC the team has four R.Fr DB's: Greenwood, Nunn, Cole, and Williams. Couple that with Strizinger leaving and I agree the staff must like that group.

You'd think with implementing a 3-3-5, there'd be an emphasis on bringing in more DB's and less DL. In actuality, we've brought in 5 DL and only 1 DB to this point. I know we're going to bring in a few more DB's, but it doesn't look like it's a huge emphasis.
This indicates to me 2 things: 1)They must like the DB's on the roster.
2) I have thought our numbers on the lines have been low the last couple of years-We need more competition there. Looks like TW agrees.
Also, even though it’s seems like a 3-3-5 would need less down linemen, I actually think it will feel more like we have 5 linemen instead of three. The two outside backers will be “edge” guys who are oversized as linebackers but undersized as ends. They will be long and athletic with the ability to rush the passer or stop the run

By DBs do you mean corners, safeties or both?

We are definitely involved with a few good DB/Safeties still.

We have Folk (safety) committed.

We brought in 3 last year and maybe 5 depending on positions. Jahad Carter (S), Chase Atkinson (CB), Robert Hanna (S), then you have guys like LaBrosse, Pena and Barron.

We only have 1 senior (Clarke) and figure Cisco (JR) tests the waters. So 2.

3 Juniors in Trill (CB), Iffy (CB) and Coley (S)

1 sophomore Jonas (S)

4 Redshirt freshman Nunn, Greenwood, Cole, Williams

I think it's a good bet to add another couple of corners and safeties. It wouldn't suprise me to see 2 each.

Kid like Jahad Carter could come in and be a 4 year starter. He might be that good. He's my darkhorse.

We brought in 3 last year and maybe 5 depending on positions. Jahad Carter (S), Chase Atkinson (CB), Robert Hanna (S), then you have guys like LaBrosse, Pena and Barron.

1 sophomore Jonas (S)

I think it's a good bet to add another couple of corners and safeties. It wouldn't suprise me to see 2 each.

Kid like Jahad Carter could come in and be a 4 year starter. He might be that good. He's my darkhorse.
I meant CB's and Safeties. Barron is being targeted for WR-Not sure about Pena, but thought he was recruited for the slot. If we're going to be playing 5 DB's regularly, would think we need at least twice that amount for a two-deep and likely a few more than that. Not saying it can't change, but I haven't heard us connected to too many DB's to this point.

the good thing about the 3-3-5 and the offense we run is that we have a ton of WRs who have some DB background in HS so in a pinch you havesome bodies to move around. between the 2-3 deep at WR and DB probably have 1/3 of the team or more.

At least 4 DBs brought in last class. Scoop 2/3 more in this class which they can because there is a lot of room and the numbers are fine expecially with the 4 redshirt freshman. I trust this staff especially Monroe, who in my opinion has turned his position group around the most since taking over and is probably our best recruiter.

I meant CB's and Safeties. Barron is being targeted for WR-Not sure about Pena, but thought he was recruited for the slot. If we're going to be playing 5 DB's regularly, would think we need at least twice that amount for a two-deep and likely a few more than that. Not saying it can't change, but I haven't heard us connected to too many DB's to this point.

in a traditional set you have 4 DBs anyhow with 2 corners, a strong safety and free safety so we’re really not much different. Seems to me the 5th DB is now a rover instead of a nickle and the rover from a physical standpoint seems to be a 3rd safety instead of a 3rd corner. Bigger player who can play in the box as opposed to a smaller guy more suited for pass coverage.

We have those guys but we need to now add some depth.

Agreed. And there is a difference between depth and quality depth. And I think we have come a LONG way in stocking the bench with good backups and rotational players in the secondary.

Are you sure about Barron? I thought he was recruited as the big safety we've always wanted.

the good thing about the 3-3-5 and the offense we run is that we have a ton of WRs who have some DB background in HS so in a pinch you havesome bodies to move around. between the 2-3 deep at WR and DB probably have 1/3 of the team or more.
That's not how it works. You can't dabble in high level D1 football postions.

1 sophomore Jonas (S)

Speaking of Ja'Had Carter (one of my favorite secondary recruits in the '20 class), where is he?

He signed an NLI 2-5-20:
He was supposed to be a July enrollee in the '20 class:
Two months early, he "arrived" on campus and made the student directory:
Now Arriving for Summer Session I

But he's not on the SU 2020 roster (does the roster need updating?):

Last edited:
Speaking of Ja'Had Carter (one of my favorite secondary recruits in the '20 class), where is he?

He signed an NLI 2-5-20:
He was supposed to be a July enrollee in the '20 class:
Two months early, he was noted as having "arrived" on campus, and made the student directory:
Now Arriving for Summer Session I

But he's not on the SU 2020 roster (does the roster need updating?):
None of the July enrollees have been added to the roster yet.

Yah the roster definitely needs updating (Mital, Wallace and Stritz are still on there). Also hoping Sparrow, Lowery and Alford have arrived by now.
Seems to me that the roster isn't normally updated until Fall Camp.

Yah the roster definitely needs updating (Mital, Wallace and Stritz are still on there). Also hoping Sparrow, Lowery and Alford have arrived by now.
Pretty sure I’ve seen Sparrow post his locker on his Instagram story recently. I believe he’s on campus

I would not expect a proper roster update until maybe they take the field for drills in shorts. So maybe another 2-3 weeks minimum

Got nuthin'. Just excited for the team even though we don't know what the season holds or even if a season will be held.
This forum in the offseason is kind of like baseball's old Hot Stove league.
Waiting with Orangey anticipation for a "Juiced Up!" tweet.

So Alford is a mystery man still it sounds like.

Can anyone confirm or deny if he is physically with the team and participating?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom