What if SU had gone to the ACC in 2003??? Great read. | Syracusefan.com

What if SU had gone to the ACC in 2003??? Great read.

Interesting article, although I think he sent VaTech to the SEC a little soon. Should've discussed the possibility of them going to the B1G instead of Nebraska (or along with them and ??). That leads to a ton of possibilities on the stability of the B12.

He also doesn't explain why the B1G would take Missou over Nebraska in this scenario when they had that chance (with Missou lobbying heavily) and chose the 'Huskers.

West Virginia is also totally ignored in the moves.

Since it's just for funzies, why not swing for the fences as an ACC homer and postulate that SanduskyGate would be enough for the B1G to kick out PSU and replace them with Pitt for Pennsylvania coverage? Have them land in the ACC, along with (holding my nose) Rutgers in the current expansion and definitely lock down NYC (might be enough to get ND FB on board sooner). Could still swap MD for Louisville if they still left.

It's very likely that the Big East might have fallen apart had Syracuse left in 2003, but if Hardesty and Nordenberg held the league together once, they could do it again.

I'm not the biggest Crouthamel fan, but it wasn't until Jake returned to the Big East side of the table that focus on trying to get Miami to change its mind and then when that failed coming up with a plan for what the league would like afterward. Heck, Hardesty, Nordenberg and the rest of the jilted 4 (once 5) put more emphasis on SU and BC joining their lawsuit against Miami and the ACC then rolling up their sleeves and getting down to the real work.

The main person to give credit or blame to for the 8/8 set-up with no split was Tranghese who let it be known to the football side that the BCS contract was that specifically mentioned the Big East's name, so if the split occurred they could lose that auto-bid and also pointed out that they would lose the NCAA units.

Cheers,
Neil

The Hokies leave for the SEC.

Here we have what the southern football powers in the ACC likely did not want to happen. VT got 5 out of the necessary 7 votes back then to be sent a site visit team. It's not difficult to imagine that FSU, Clemson and GT were three of those five votes.

Cheers,
Neil

The next revisionist history part is simply bizarre. I think they are trying to say that if in 2010 the SEC knew both VT and A&M would be available at the same time, they'd have gone to 14 with both in 2010 instead of the Aggies and Mizzou in 2011.

The part about Mizzou not going to the SEC would have resulted in them going to the BiG instead of Nebraska is just dumb.

Cheers,
Neil

The Syracuse Success revisionist history. That's a hard one. If we make it into the ACC, Coach P. probably doesn't lose his job right away and Ray Rice stays committed. While we may have still been just mediocre, the program likely wouldn't have suffered through the Gump program killing years.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom