What if... | Syracusefan.com

What if...

BillSU

All American
What if the proposed, much talked about, coaching changes come to fruition? What if Anae and Beck do sign on to Syracuse football? What happens next?

I think that it would be one of the most exciting, positive changes in a very long time especially if Anae is allowed to run the offensive program he and Beck have been at UVA.

These two coaches, led UVA and the ACC in yards-per-game (515.8) and passing yards-per-game (392.2), while finishing 4th in the conference in points-per-game (34.6).

IMO, if Anae is brought in to make his offensive scheme fit into a style created by Dino Babers’ and the limitations of Garrett Schrader, then it’s going to be another example of great potential wasted within the Syracuse football program, like Dino’s “Orange is the New Fast” campaign which became more like “Orange is the New Hurry to the Line and Stare at the Sideline”.

However, if these new offensive coaches are brought in and allowed to keep coaching the offense as they coached last year in Virginia, then there really is the potential for the offense to take a significant step forward quickly.

One big part of that means giving them the freedom to reach into the portal and pull a new starting QB into the program, if they believe that this is what is necessary to evolve Syracuse football’s “run because we can’t throw” offense into a “run and pass equally because we can do both” offense.

Maybe it can still be Shrader. Maybe Beck thinks he sees something that can elevate Shrader from an all run/no pass threat to a legit 50:50 dual-threat who can get the ball downfield consistently. But, I believe that if the opportunity to upgrade is there, we need to take it. The QB room isn't proven and we need someone who can run effectively and throw accurately all over the field.

As far as I know, this deal is far from done, but whoever comes in, let them run a program that is balanced, that thinks outside the box instead of running predictable plays over and over inside the box that the opponent expects. All-American Sean Tucker needs variety so he can run like he wants to, like we want him to and maybe not only All-American style in '22 but Heisman style as well.

The longer we are not hearing anything the more likely Beck has to coach the Fenway Bowl and we get him post game as QB coach. The portal is full of wb’s that goth the dual threat ability these guys like using. The portal- I s the way to go.

The next 2 most crucial moves are bringing in a strong recruiter with our last spot and at least a couple of DL from the portal who can play year 1. With our top 4 DL graduating and Roscoe's success as a transfer, it should be a reasonable sell.

Or Maybe Lamson is a really good quarterback and is some good coaching away from taking off - I have no idea, but maybe

Agree 100% with the OP. I'm just trying to be patient and cautiously optimistic. It's hard though. I feel like a kid counting down the days to Christmas in hopes that he'll get a Tyco trainset or a GI Joe with the kung fu grip. Well, I suppose it is the time of the year for such thoughts.

Agree 100% with the OP. I'm just trying to be patient and cautiously optimistic. It's hard though. I feel like a kid counting down the days to Christmas in hopes that he'll get a Tyco trainset or a GI Joe with the kung fu grip. Well, I suppose it is the time of the year for such thoughts.

I don’t think we have much to worry about

GS will be the starting QB next year no matter who is brought in as coaches. Sterling was a horrible OC and now that he is gone GS will prove many here wrong.
Shrader is a very good athlete that needs to spend all summer with Jordan Palmer. It‘s obvious that his mechanics are not good. Doesn’t mean he can’t improve. And he must if the offense is not going to waste the best running back in 20yrs

I don’t know how to say this any other way: Dino’s offense (the Baylor Tempo, veer and shoot, etc) got figured out circa 2018.

Maryland game in 2019 looked like they knew what we were doing before every snap until we switched it up.

It’s not Dino’s fault. He knew it got figured out and started to look for answers immediately. Slow down, look to the sidelines, etc. This happens to simple systems. It had a very very good run. If you want to see it’s offspring, watch Ole Miss.

As for the OP, if he’s going with this OC and QB coach combo he’s looking for a new system. That’s a good thing.

GS will be the starting QB next year no matter who is brought in as coaches. Sterling was a horrible OC and now that he is gone GS will prove many here wrong.
I agree that Sterlin did GS no favors. I want to see GS become Tom Brady, but he won’t. He can and will be better with a better system.

Expect a mixed bag for a while and maybe a good college QB will emerge, eventually.

I dont think its been figured out at all. i think its all execution. you still need to throw catch and block.

I dont think its been figured out at all. i think its all execution. you still need to throw catch and block.
I’ve heard that it has. And if you look around CFB (esp the B12) there’s not a lot of teams running it. Some of the RPO stuff got gobbled up and is used by a lot of teams. But much of what you’d consider the Baylor offense isn’t being run…

Big picture take:

1. Baylor system got figured out
2. Needed someone to update it, transform it - Lynch couldn’t. Got demoted.
3. Sterlin Gilbert was brought in to riff and fix it. Didn’t.
4. Dino waves white flag, goes to another system that does work in the BYU/UVA model

I don’t think we have much to worry about
I know absolutely nothing about the situation other than what I read on here. It sounds like things are looking very good as far as the OC goes, but the QB coach is a toss up. Fair analysis, or are we better off than I surmise?

I know absolutely nothing about the situation other than what I read on here. It sounds like things are looking very good as far as the OC goes, but the QB coach is a toss up. Fair analysis, or are we better off than I surmise?

I believe that we are better off on both cases

There is a reason why Beck’s wife is following more than 1 or 2 Syracuse accounts and why DB is following her

All systems get figured out. It’s the natural order. Offenses innovate, defenses respond. Wash, rinse, repeat. Systems are in a continual state of modification.

But as someone implied above, any system can be successful if you a) have the right athletes, and or b) you can execute well.

All systems get figured out. It’s the natural order. Offenses innovate, defenses respond. Wash, rinse, repeat. Systems are in a continual state of modification.

But as someone implied above, any system can be successful if you a) have the right athletes, and or b) you can execute well.
which is why the Army offense still works unless you have really superior athletes to defend it.

You cant just say the Baylor offense has been figured out unless you can define what it is that defends it. When it was running well that had a QB a couple top end WRs and an oline that functioned.. when you try running offense without any of those pieces its not pretty.

when DIno has had a WR that could take the top off a D, we saw the deep pass work.. When it doesnt the safety doesnt honor that and suddenly the running game becomes much harder..

How would Wakes offense look if you didnt have 2-3 guys who can run by the DBs..

If the system is built upon things that can be countered by scheme. We’ve seen it. And yeah, better athletes executing well (Dungey) help a ton. But this system was chosen and was successful in particular because you could do more with less. Tempo in practice means more reps - better execution. But if it stops working, that tempo in practice and on the field isn’t worth what you gain.

Dino has moved on.

Shrader is a very good athlete that needs to spend all summer with Jordan Palmer. It‘s obvious that his mechanics are not good. Doesn’t mean he can’t improve. And he must if the offense is not going to waste the best running back in 20yrs

Go I think you spelt 20 wrong. I think it's more like 40 and Joe Morris. I think Tucker > Reyes.

I believe that we are better off on both cases

There is a reason why Beck’s wife is following more than 1 or 2 Syracuse accounts and why DB is following her
JR ? Information source on the 1-2 accounts?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom