What I'm hearing | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUOrangeSU

All Conference
This is what I heard last night from my connection (long chat about the AAU scene, college bball in general and we went into cuse full circle). This info is as of 3.4.2022 and things can change (please don't go after my throat if one or two of these things change).

Roster next year-
Apparently, we are in the driver's seat with Mintz right now. It's going to be between us and Wake Forest for him with NC state and Depaul having guard commits here recently. Jimmy has told him about a starting role and he would be along side JG3 for the starting backcourt. If he comes, we would run 3 guards with Copeland redshirting/sitting all year. The coaches will have to get his buy-in with this because his first year was labeled as spot minutes/back up mins and he won't get that with a Mintz commit.
Cole is 50/50 to stay (Jimmy even mentioned it). JB will ask him to stay one more year and put together some solid tape to possibly get drafted ala Hughes. He will be the featured player on the roster and gives JB someone he trusts. With this AND if Benny stays, we won't tap into the transfer market for a forward. Benny leaves, we will.
Frank is 50/50 as well. According to my connection, the game is still moving a lil too fast for him but he knows he could start at various places. He knows he would get 20 minutes again next year with Jesse back so he's weighing his options to go or not. Might do the JBA way and put his name in to get feedback/interest from other schools and decide to come back. If he goes, we will get a center/forward transfer because Peter is not ready yet.
JBA, Buddy, Jimmy Jr gone obviously.

Coaches Retirement/His interview the other day-
Apparently, coach was feeling the heat/pressure to speak up about the so called "plan" from booster/fans/JW. My connection kept harping on the term "succession plan" always means "in house" . He said watch the smaller school openings and if one of the assistants bolt for it, Hop is most likely to get let go at UW and he could slide back home for a year than take over. He said that's all a big if but could happen. Likelihood it's Red for the takeover and he will be the lead recruiter for the 2023 cycle. Still hasn't ruled out JB calling it in the summer time, exact quote " I get he promised these income recruits he was going to coach them but with both sons leaving, why?". JW is hearing all the chatter and criticism and knows something needs to happen soon. JB has and will have input in the hire but not full.

Might be new news or not but just wanted to share.

This is what I heard last night from my connection (long chat about the AAU scene, college bball in general and we went into cuse full circle). This info is as of 3.4.2022 and things can change (please don't go after my throat if one or two of these things change).

Roster next year-
Apparently, we are in the driver's seat with Mintz right now. It's going to be between us and Wake Forest for him with NC state and Depaul having guard commits here recently. Jimmy has told him about a starting role and he would be along side JG3 for the starting backcourt. If he comes, we would run 3 guards with Copeland redshirting/sitting all year. The coaches will have to get his buy-in with this because his first year was labeled as spot minutes/back up mins and he won't get that with a Mintz commit.
Cole is 50/50 to stay (Jimmy even mentioned it). JB will ask him to stay one more year and put together some solid tape to possibly get drafted ala Hughes. He will be the featured player on the roster and gives JB someone he trusts. With this AND if Benny stays, we won't tap into the transfer market for a forward. Benny leaves, we will.
Frank is 50/50 as well. According to my connection, the game is still moving a lil too fast for him but he knows he could start at various places. He knows he would get 20 minutes again next year with Jesse back so he's weighing his options to go or not. Might do the JBA way and put his name in to get feedback/interest from other schools and decide to come back. If he goes, we will get a center/forward transfer because Peter is not ready yet.

Apparently, coach was feeling the heat/pressure to speak up about the so called "plan" from booster/fans/JW. My connection kept harping on the term "succession plan" always means "in house" . He said watch the smaller school openings and if one of the assistants bolt for it, Hop is most likely to get let go at UW and he could slide back home for a year than take over. He said that's all a big if but could happen. Likelihood it's Red for the takeover and he will be the lead recruiter for the 2023 cycle. Still hasn't ruled out JB calling it in the summer time, exact quote " I get he promised these income recruits he was going to coach them but with both sons leaving, why?". JW is hearing all the chatter and criticism and knows something needs to happen soon. JB has and will have input in the hire but not full.

Thanks for sharing.

Live Look-in at the first person to ask, "WHOZ UR SORCE????"

200.gif

Roster next year-

Not shooting the messenger.

But your connection is harping on a term that was never mentioned by Boeheim. "Succession plan" was never said by JB, nor was "successor." That was something that newspaper articles stated, despite JB's comments not having anything to do with who his replacement will be. In that sense, the articles and the way they were framed up in bylines was slightly misleading.

So while I think your contact is making a logical conclusion, I'd say he's reading into things quite a bit. "Ironclad plan" [JB's words] is different from "succession plan."

If Red was going to be the successor, that would have been named long ago. That he hasn't been named, or that the AD hasn't come forward with an announcement related to a successor being lined up, speaks volumes on that front.

Good stuff thanks for sharing.
I don't know how good JBA is and that is the problem. JB never gave him a shot even though there were minutes available, especially on nights when Jimmy was playing 30 plus and not at his best. Maybe JBA could have kept improving into a 10-15 minute contributor next year. JB himself said he had improved and worked hard in practice yet he never gave JBA a real shot, even after we were clearly not going to make the tournament. Kid was supportive of his teammates on the bench and clearly well liked and respected. Another brick in this frustrating wall of a season.

Good stuff thanks for sharing.
I don't know how good JBA is and that is the problem. JB never gave him a shot even though there were minutes available, especially on nights when Jimmy was playing 30 plus and not at his best. Maybe JBA could have kept improving into a 10-15 minute contributor next year. JB himself said he had improved and worked hard in practice yet he never gave JBA a real shot, even after we were clearly not going to make the tournament. Kid was supportive of his teammates on the bench and clearly well liked and respected. Another brick in this frustrating wall of a season.
Of my complaints of JB, not playing JBA is not one of them.

I'll be surprised if Hop gets fired this year. He's going to finish at least .500.

I don't know anything about Hop's situation with the AD over in Seattle, but I can see him returning. Probably more $$$ in getting fired than resigning. I can also imagine JB announcing it over the summer while he has golf to really help him unwind. Probably a 3-year contract for him or Red when JB decides to hang em up.

Thanks for the update. Not saying it would be a precedent but can anyone list a few programs that hired in house assistants as the head coach and turned the program into a powerhouse?
If Cole Swider is the featured player next year, really based on one game (Carolina) I cannot see it. He cannot beat his man off the dribble. He will draw the ACC top athletic defenders. He can barely go left - is right handed exclusively. Defense is fair at best, on and on. Basically a catch and shoot dude. Has a big heart but has limitations.

I don't see how an "ironclad" plan could be anything but succession. You can't be very ironclad with someone who is employed elsewhere unless its Hop.

Not shooting the messenger.

But your connection is harping on a term that was never mentioned by Boeheim. "Succession plan" was never said by JB, nor was "successor." That was something that newspaper articles stated, despite JB's comments not having anything to do with who his replacement will be. In that sense, the articles and the way they were framed up in bylines was slightly misleading.

So while I think your contact is making a logical conclusion, I'd say he's reading into things quite a bit. "Ironclad plan" [JB's words] is different from "succession plan."

If Red was going to be the successor, that would have been named long ago. That he hasn't been named, or that the AD hasn't come forward with an announcement related to a successor being lined up, speaks volumes on that front.

I have agreed 100% with you in regards to all of your posts relative to hiring the next head coach from outside the program. That said, I think there needs to be a live cam on you the moment it's officially announced...one way or the other. ;):)

How long was Hop the "HCIW" until SU officially made an announcement in 2015?

I don't see how an "ironclad" plan could be anything but succession. You can't be very ironclad with someone who is employed elsewhere unless its Hop.

Personally speaking, I think JB screwed up by saying the word "plan." Because based on his comments, what he seems to be talking about is a timeline for departure.

When you say "plan," people read into it. That's why all of this succession talk -- and absent information, people are filling in the blanks with speculation.

If he said "ironclad timeline," the interpretation would be completely different. Because that means something entirely separate from a successor being named.

All we have to go on is what JB said. And based on his comments, he might have been overstating [or mis-stating] things when he said "plan." I'm not suggesting that he was trying to be deceptive or misleading, just that he may have made the wrong choice of words, which is why the speculation has taken on a life of it's own.

But as we all know, JB says things.

Thanks for the update. Not saying it would be a precedent but can anyone list a few programs that hired in house assistants as the head coach and turned the program into a powerhouse?
If Cole Swider is the featured player next year, really based on one game (Carolina) I cannot see it. He cannot beat his man off the dribble. He will draw the ACC top athletic defenders. He can barely go left - is right handed exclusively. Defense is fair at best, on and on. Basically a catch and shoot dude. Has a big heart but has limitations.
Jessie will be the featured player. Cole will be a focal point in the offense.

None of our assistants have gotten offers to be HCs at smaller programs have they?
Hopkins was offered Charlotte, St.Bonaventure.

Which of Red, Gerry, Allen are most likely to get an offer this offseason?
looks like Umass is looking at Matt Harrington who's never coached in his life but is local. I mean they will look at Red/Gerry. Whether they interview is entirely TBA but for them to be looking at Harrington is eye opening and outside the box-ish.

And if Mintz picks us, he could end up being the co-featured player

And if Benny makes the leap he could be the co-co-featured player
Going to be tough to fit in 2-3 starting freshmen if Cole, Benny, and Jesse all stay. Should be an interesting offseason.

Roster next year-

Wow, thanks for all this info. Interesting stuff. I could live with a Hop tryout but not sure how I feel about Red.

Won't touch the coaching part with a 10 foot pole... so some thoughts on the roster

All things considered, that isn't bad. Cole staying and Buddy/Jimmy leaving is a good thing in my mind. We need scoring and we need at least one forward who is a proven entity.

It is surprising the redshirt option is considered for Copeland. In my mind he was too good to go that route. Maybe Mintz changes things enough

Is this a good enough lineup to contend in the ACC, sniff the top 25?

Guards - Mintz/JG, and Symir off the bench
Forwards - Cole/Benny, with freshman off the bench
Center - Jesse/Frank, with freshman as third option

It feels a little light at forward, with Cole as the only one who can reliably produce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom