What is everyones hopes for the offseason??? | Syracusefan.com

What is everyones hopes for the offseason???

orangefan13

Hall of Fame
I hope DC works on 2-3 zone all summer long. He could be very raw defensively like Melo's freshmen year if not. We could really really use his high post scoring game but if hes a clear defensive liability he would get more then 8 mpg.

I hope MCW James and Fair get out to some of the Star camps more then anyone on the team, because they have a ton of potential.

I hope Baye grows some physicality and hustles hard over the summer, because I think he could be a scrappy player like Kristoff at the four if he wants to be.

I hope Triche continues to find ways to attack the lane off a quick pass at SG becuase he is so deadly when he recieves a pass and attacks the middle of the lane.

I will think of more later.

I hope Rak gets the opportunity to play on some traveling teams over the summer.

I hope Mookie comes back to the team (and school) both for his own sake, but so that we don't have to endure another dreaded "We only have 3 guards" thread.

I hope we can have a year that is just basketball, not all the off the court drama that surrounded the team this year.

I hope we can get Ennis to sign early.

And last but not least, I hope someone will take the time to investigate PayPal Cal and find evidence of what we all beleive to be true; $$$ trail and what ever it takes to get 4 straight years of the #1 recruiting class.

I hope DC works on 2-3 zone all summer long. He could be very raw defensively like Melo's freshmen year if not. We could really really use his high post scoring game but if hes a clear defensive liability he would get more then 8 mpg.

I hope MCW James and Fair get out to some of the Star camps more then anyone on the team, because they have a ton of potential.

I hope Baye grows some physicality and hustles hard over the summer, because I think he could be a scrappy player like Kristoff at the four if he wants to be.

I hope Triche continues to find ways to attack the lane off a quick pass at SG becuase he is so deadly when he recieves a pass and attacks the middle of the lane.

I will think of more later.
I think DC2 will be a lot better defensively than Melo was when he was a frosh. He will be in better shape, but more importantly, he knows the game a lot better than Fab did when he was a freshman. DC2 has been playing a long time, and while he has played in an area that is not a hotbed for hoops, he has been playing in big time camps against the best players in HS for years. And more than held his own in these games.

He will never be the shot blocker Fab is, but he will not leave the lane open for layups, will never be outmuscled or overpowered, and will seal off the inside for rebounds better than any center we have had in a long time, other than Big Rick towards the end of his time here. He has a lot of Sullinger in his game. Won't score like him early because that won't be needed but he will come ready to contribute from day one. I think he was better on defense as a HS senior than anyone on the team this year had except Fab.

My wishlist for the summer and 2012-2013 season:
Triche - Get the desire to be "the dude" in the offense
Fair - Continue development of his jumper, add 10 lbs of muscle
Keita - 15 lbs of muscle, slight improvement in FT, HANDS!!!!
Coleman - Shed 10 lbs, improve FT, learn zone
Christmas - FT shooting, post moves, learn 4 on defense
Southerland - Improve dribbling/driving skills, more consistent, FT shooting
Cooney - Active hands at the top of zone (Rautins), ability to pass, create own shot
MCW - 10 lbs of muscle, continue to learn zone, understand he's getting the keys this year
Grant - 10 lbs of muscle, improve jumper, learn zone, keep a GREAT attitude all season, understand he will get his time in 2013-2014
Mookie - I just want to see him waving the towel on the bench with a big smile when SU is up 30

Key here, no surprise, is learning the zone and FT shooting. We were actually a decent FT team this season, except Scoop. This team could be a very good FT shooting team. Triche, MCW, Cooney, Fair, Southerland should all be above 75% :noidea:

Zone - I want to see a zone like we did in 09-10. We have the athletes (Fair, Dirty, BT) and the size down low (Coleman) to play physical with anyone. I want to see a commitment and priority on the defensive end.

I'm an "older" SU fan. I remember the hard-to-believe improvement in SF David Johnson's game over the summer between his soph and junior year. As a soph in 1989-90, DJ averaged 6 pts. and 2.4 rebs a game. As a junior in 1990-91, he exploded for 19.4 pts. and 6.3 rebs a game. Huge make-over. I wish this sort of transcendent improvement for all our returning players! Even if just one would show something of that order, it would mean great success for next year's squad.

DC2 gets himself in shape and Mookie comes back. I'd also like to see Christmas work on his offensive game.

1. All players staying healthy

2. DC2 in good physical condition

3. Good team chemistry

4. No off the court drama

Oh, I'm just hoping to relax, spend some time with the family, maybe get in a few rounds of golf.

I'm really trying to picture DC2 working on his zone defense this summer. The image of pick-up games deploying a 2-3 isn't exactly crystalizing.

I want a summer of M V Z debates. Can't get enough of a futile thing.

Seriously:

1. A couple of commits

2. DC2 living up to the hype

3. A serious cleansing of the program - no more controversies.

4. Good health to all of our guys (and fans).

5. Looking ahead - that whoever is our starting center actually gets to play in the dance.

6. Most of the things mentioned in other responses.