What is going on? At Louisville | Syracusefan.com

What is going on? At Louisville

orangemass

All American
Are lap dances back at Louisville? They are good again. That was quick

unsurprising as they didn't get hit with any recruiting restrictions. but they have another set of violations under investigation so stay tuned...

The guys at the end of their rotation who never played big minutes under Pitino were ALWAYS good. Mack is a solid coach.

NC State was never more than a .500 ACC team even if they had a good OOC run.

Regarding Ville though playing a big boy schedule sure got them ready for the ACC. I wish we had our Sweet 16 battle tested team play schools like Tennessee, MSU, UK, Marquette, Seton Hall vs getting cute trying to prop your SOS with pesky mid majors like Buffalo and ODU. I bet we'd have played like we did vs Ohio St in games like that. W/e not going to happen under JB. Louisville don't scare me head to head despite the good results so far.

Regarding Ville though playing a big boy schedule sure got them ready for the ACC. I wish we had our Sweet 16 battle tested team play schools like Tennessee, MSU, UK, Marquette, Seton Hall vs getting cute trying to prop your SOS with pesky mid majors like Buffalo and ODU. I bet we'd have played like we did vs Ohio St in games like that. W/e not going to happen under JB. Louisville don't scare me head to head despite the good results so far.

I mean, We’re both 5-1 in ACC play. Our schedule is fine.

Are lap dances back at Louisville? They are good again. That was quick

Speaking of not developing players...VJ King? That kid was a McDonald’s AA. I recall we offered him and recruited him pretty hard. I saw him play at Peach Jam and he was really good. He’s averaging about 5 ppg and has been a huge disappointment in his Jr year. If he had come to Syracuse and played like this we’d hear about our player development problem all the time. We did with Rak, until his senior season.

I have the same question about Louisville as the OP. I heard the announcer say they have the #2 recruiting class in the nation coming in next year??! How is that possible, their entire sports program is in colossal disarray, or should be anyway. They should legitimately be staring down a possible death penalty situation.

I have the same question about Louisville as the OP. I heard the announcer say they have the #2 recruiting class in the nation coming in next year??! How is that possible, their entire sports program is in colossal disarray, or should be anyway. They should legitimately be staring down a possible death penalty situation.
I thought I heard that wrong... is that true, it seemed too crazy to be real so I didn’t bother looking it up.

The guys at the end of their rotation who never played big minutes under Pitino were ALWAYS good. Mack is a solid coach.

NC State was never more than a .500 ACC team even if they had a good OOC run.

We lost games that a good team should have won. This schtick where you think that we would somehow be a better team or have a better record if we played better teams is nonsense. Whether we were UCONN's "super bowl" or not, we lost to a team that is currently 2-4 in the AAC and 11-8 overall.

We lost games that a good team should have won. This schtick where you think that we would somehow be a better team or have a better record if we played better teams is nonsense. Whether we were UCONN's "super bowl" or not, we lost to a team that is currently 2-4 in the AAC and 11-8 overall.
we had no point guards for entire preseason & threw a true frosh in with next to no prep time.

any serious observer throws those games out. that is not the team taking the court now

we had no point guards for entire preseason & threw a true frosh in with next to no prep time.

any serious observer throws those games out. that is not the team taking the court now

So how would playing better teams than the ones we lost to have helped us, other than having better losses?

Also, I think that argument lost some of it's luster when we lost at home to ODU and Georgia Tech.

Buffalo in the dome aside we have beaten all the good teams we have played so far. Don't ask me why we couldn't bring it vs Georgetown or ODU. If we were playing Gonzaga either of those Saturdays I think a different Syracuse team shows up and we play better.

Programs of our stature typically play other programs of our stature out of conference. We play way fewer of these games than other blue bloods. This year it bit us under scheduling with everyone returning on a Sweet 16 team. Some years you have to do it if you get crushed by a combination of graduation and early departures.

Speaking of not developing players...VJ King? That kid was a McDonald’s AA. I recall we offered him and recruited him pretty hard. I saw him play at Peach Jam and he was really good. He’s averaging about 5 ppg and has been a huge disappointment in his Jr year. If he had come to Syracuse and played like this we’d hear about our player development problem all the time. We did with Rak, until his senior season.

The amount of complaints about our program’s “player development” from respected posters—and seeming to point fingers at the staff instead of the players themselves—is absurd and seriously wack. Needless to say, I don’t agree. But I’m not gonna get into that here. Thanks for making this point about VJ King, Alpharetta.

The Georgia Tech game is the one that is such a head scratcher. We had clearly been playing better, then that happened... then we beat Duke and crushed Pitt & Miami looking like the Top 10 team everyone thought we could be.

So how would playing better teams than the ones we lost to have helped us, other than having better losses?
i never made that claim

Also, I think that argument lost some of it's luster when we lost at home to ODU and Georgia Tech.
g tech was a bad loss. but odu was still in what was functionally our preseason window (frank still rounding into game shape, team still learning how to function as unit w/ him running the show)

with no pgs in practice, we had no real preseason & were 6 weeks behind every other team in nation. i said all along i wouldn't judge this team till after december

others will disagree but i think my position is being validated

Buffalo in the dome aside we have beaten all the good teams we have played so far. Don't ask me why we couldn't bring it vs Georgetown or ODU. If we were playing Gonzaga either of those Saturdays I think a different Syracuse team shows up and we play better.

Programs of our stature typically play other programs of our stature out of conference. We play way fewer of these games than other blue bloods. This year it bit us under scheduling with everyone returning on a Sweet 16 team. Some years you have to do it if you get crushed by a combination of graduation and early departures.

We got smoked by Oregon, who was a good team at the time before the Bol Bol injury. The problem with your argument is that you are dealing in hypothetical scenarios that have no way to be proven. The facts are that we played the schedule that we have and we lost to some not-so-good teams. There is literally no way to know how replacing those not-so-good teams with good teams would have played out.

Nobody is throwing anything out. Those games will drop us a few seed lines unless we go general sherman through the rest of the ACC. But meh - if I've learned anything the past few years - our seed is almost completely irrelevant versus the matchup we get. Too much parity for seeds to make much of a difference. A protected seed maybe helps, but not as much as getting a favorable matchup.

Maybe the committee should just do away with seeds and try to reward teams based on projected matchups and styles of play.

i never made that claim

g tech was a bad loss. but odu was still in what was functionally our preseason window (frank still rounding into game shape, team still learning how to function as unit w/ him running the show)

with no pgs in practice, we had no real preseason & were 6 weeks behind every other team in nation. i said all along i wouldn't judge this team till after december

others will disagree but i think my position is being validated

I never said you did make that claim. You responded to my post responding to another poster who made that claim. If we are on the bubble again, you might have been able to make the argument that the MSG losses could be forgiven because we weren't at full strength, assuming that we didn't have any other bad losses (which didn't happen). However, no one is going to look at the ODU loss so closely that they will say "oh, Frank Howard was playing at only 70% for that one, so let's toss that result out the window too."

Regardless, here's hoping that we play well enough the rest of the way in the ACC that it makes all of that moot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom